Motorcycles?????

Motorcycles are like a couple other items I can think of in CM. They'd be cool to see but after trying them out  twice you'd probably neglect them afterward. Because their tactical utility at the 'tip of the spear' is VERY limited. What other 'cool' things are in CM titles that experienced players tend to avoid using? Let me think. MG-armed Jeeps are practically useless. M1200 and PRP-4M fire support vehicles, heavy artillery assets that take forever to target, and of course Italian tankettes... ^_^

1 hour ago, Sequoia said:

As long as they don't hit the bike ( Just kidding). German soldier reenactors are told never to wear their uniforms when traveling to and from an event to prevent misunderstanding, especially if pulled over for a traffic violation. 

Edit:spelling

The problem is, there are no German re-enactments happening here is Columbia. It would be miserable for them  if they did. It is 89 degrees with 45% humidity (feels like 90) and the only re-enactment events ever held here are either SCA or Civil War. BTW, he just passed by the apartment again. He was wearing a pale-green German helmet but otherwise, just regular clothes and a backpack. Could be a USC student.

56 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Motorcycles are like a couple other items I can think of in CM. They'd be cool to see but after trying them out  twice you'd probably neglect them afterward. Because their tactical utility at the 'tip of the spear' is VERY limited. What other 'cool' things are in CM titles that experienced players tend to avoid using? Let me think. MG-armed Jeeps are practically useless. M1200 and PRP-4M fire support vehicles, heavy artillery assets that take forever to target, and of course Italian tankettes... ^_^

All true, but what are we trying to simulate with these games? Simple answer. A re-creation of the events of one of man's greatest creations, World War II. And every single one of the units you listed were as worthless during the war as they are in the game(s). So, yes I completely agree with you.

**Chris**

CM is a 'tip of the spear' tactical game. A number of items in the titles are there because they were in the TO&E but have uses that are barely within the scope of your standard 'take the crossroads/city center in an hour' scenario. You're not supposed to be charging the enemy in a M7A3 Bradley B-FiST or MT-LBu 1V14 observer vehicle. Its a rare battle that you're lucky enough to find yourself on a map that can make use of them. This would also apply to motorcycles. By the time we're at the scenario fighting the motorcycle's duties are done. HQ has already passed off the written note your units ordering you to move into town and take the objective.

Creating 3D models is probably one of the most expensive parts of making a computer game. So given the Battlefront's limited resources, hoping that they will invest their time and $ in some secondary units, is a pipe dream.

Edited by Ivanov

• 6 months later...

Interesting enough was how many Armies went back to using them during the war, almost always for lack of motor vehicles of course. The Germans actually planned horses back into the Division Supply Train and Hospitals for Volksgrenadiers and even the strange late war Panzer Corp formation. I doubt many of these formations ever had their assigned horse allotments though...so many died in the East either from wounds or unfortunately being slaughtered and eaten by starving troops. 

Soviet Cavalry Divisions on the other hand were straight up and lasted until the 1950s. They never attacked mounted of course, but the they were fully horse drawn Divisions IIRC. Very effective too given the vastness of Eastern Europe and the lack of proper roads but the Soviets could tell they'd have no role once the war ended and I think most of them disappeared in the 1950s to be reorganized as Mechanized Corps. 

in Normandy each German infantry division had 4,500 horses (theoretical), the number was 6,500 during Operation Barbarosssa
In truth, the more the war progresses and the less the Germans use the horses because they cannot succeed in replenishing
Certain units are obliged to requisition civil motor vehicles, although no fuel is available.
There are a multitude of regulatory trolleys
I invite you to visit the website of this association whose president is a friend: http://hvca.fr/
horses have no interest in games
on the other hand, the modeling of the cart by our professional modder to make flavor object would be a plus

200109111251509231.jpg

death corridor in august 44
a rare photo taken during the fight

I can't really think of a situation in Red Thunder where I would want my Soviet Cavalry Troops to be mounted. Isn't the drill to dismount and send the horses to the rear upon either contact or when close to the suspected enemy forward positions?

I can however, think of a million situations where I'd like their blue pants to be a uniform option a la panzergrenadiers rather than a mod tag. 😉

If people make over-complicated movement plans for them it won't be anything good. Realistically though most infantry would only do pretty much what the AI movement system is capable of. Go here, dismount, take up positions, await further orders. Human players are like omniscient gods in the game able to plot the precise movements of nearly every unit we've got...as well as instantly receive, process, and disseminate information and changes to our troops as if The Borg from Star Trek. 

The system could be better for sure, (chief problem is that the AI will not fire on historic contacts or suspected enemies only sighted ones) but it's not all that bad.