Motorcycles?????

Good Morning,

As many of you know, I recently had a very close brush with death and was hospitalized for nearly a week. When I am in a situation like that, my mind is constantly thinking (if I am conscious and bored out of my skull) , mostly about what has or is happening to me but it also wanders into other realms of my creative mind such as ideas for games. During the period of my illness/hospitalization my mind occasionally thought about the Combat Mission games. Goes to show you how much I enjoy these games. Okay, getting off track here. This thought came to me while I was sleeping and literally woke me up. This happened while I was still in the hospital and I had no access to a computer, but I did jot it down so that I'd remember to post this question once I got home.

Okay, donning my flak jacket and helmet. Just remember that I love to research new material for future installments for inclusion in any future full games and/or updates to the current titles and that I am a die-hard beta-tester. I will pick apart a game until it bleeds.

I am sure this topic has been brought up more than once in the various forums, but I wanted to plug in MTCW. Motorcycles??? I am sure that all of you are aware that the motorcycles used by both the Allied and Axis forces in Europe and the Eastern Front played an important role during the war. They were used for security/police duty, communications, reconnaissance and fire support. For example; the German Zudapp KS 750 and BMW R came with and without sidecars. Some of these motorcycles were armed with either a MG 34 or MG 42 and in some instances a mortar (either a 5 cm Granatwerfer mounted on the sidecar but also the 8.1 cm Granatwerfer although this heavier motorcycle mounted unit may have had a separate motorcycle that the other mortar crewman rode). Of course, the British had their Norton motorcycles and the United States had the Harley-Davidson-WLH heavy motorcycle. And then there is the German Kettenkrad HK101 which was used primarily on the Russian Front but also on the North African battlefield (not relevant at this point) and the Western Front.

Okay, fire away. LOL.

Cheers,

**Chris**                                                                                     

Motorcycles most often carried out duties largely invisible at CM scale. Like carrying hand-written messages between the HQ staff and forward units, or military police duties. Motorcycles were like horses, they didn't tend to be ridden into contact with an armed enemy. The Red Army had entire motorcycle regiments, though by summer 1944 they were pretty much 'motorcycle regiments' in name only.  

As you indicated, it's been asked before and motorcycles and horses and a few other requests have become something of a meme on these boards :). Mike, Mirekm, and Wicky have given good logical answers as to why we don't have them especially given the development work that may be required in adding them vs other priorities. That said,  IIRC Steve said if they MAY add motorcycles if they do 1941 again, but the now legendary desired feature list is quite long you know. :)

I think maybe the last large scale use of motorcycle-borne troops in combat was 1940 in France and the Low Countries. Once they had enough trucks, those were the preferred mode of transport for fighting troops. Recon battalions continued their use for a while longer, but massed formations on motorcycles just wasn't on.

Michael

Its often forgotten the Germans suffered about twenty seven thousand dead and one hundred eleven thousand wounded in less than 7 weeks.during their invasion of France. People just don't wage war like than anymore. One can only wonder what proportion died while riding motorcycles down a main road. :o

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 3:17 AM, MikeyD said:

Its often forgotten the Germans suffered about twenty seven thousand dead and one hundred eleven thousand wounded in less than 7 weeks.during their invasion of France. People just don't wage war like than anymore. One can only wonder what proportion died while riding motorcycles down a main road. :o

At least they were wearing helmets though … 😉

On 6/25/2019 at 1:29 PM, Wicky said:

More work for BFC to work on complex motorcycle animations when gamey recon 'sploding jeeps & kubelwagens can do much the same job...

Really? Ask yourself this question. What exactly is BFC attempting to simulate with all of the Combat Mission titles? To give US (the players) the fun of recreating a very important part of history, World War II. I am sure that the graphics necessary to model any of the motorcycles used by any of the nations would not be that hard to do. And as far as 'sploding jeeps and kubelwagens, well my friend if you put them in my LOS, then yep I will turn them into junk. All nations used motorcycles all the way up to the end of the war, especially in the recon mode. Just ask some of the United States veterans that fought in France in 44/45.

On 6/25/2019 at 4:37 PM, Michael Emrys said:

I think maybe the last large scale use of motorcycle-borne troops in combat was 1940 in France and the Low Countries. Once they had enough trucks, those were the preferred mode of transport for fighting troops. Recon battalions continued their use for a while longer, but massed formations on motorcycles just wasn't on.

Michael

That is what I am saying. I did not suggest they be a primary means of transport for combat troops but for recon work. The advantages of a recon motorcycle team are 1) They can transverse almost any type of terrain, including heavy woods, 2) they are fast (now you see me, now you don't), and 3) they are hard as hell to spot when hidden in certain types of  terrain. I think they would play a very important part in Combat Mission.

Edited by WhiteWolf65

4 hours ago, WhiteWolf65 said:

I am sure that the graphics necessary to model any of the motorcycles used by any of the nations would not be that hard to do.

Okay - show us the coding you can do to to implement necessary use of motorcycles on front line - including reversing 😉 animations showing pixeltroopen putting the bike on its centre stand when parking up, shooting on the move and importantly jumping over barb wire fences.  Again if you want to mimic motorcycle reccie riders get a nominated driver & pile em up in a jeep or Kubel - park up behind behind a house or trees when approaching suspected enemy locations, disembark and walk a bit further to watch & wait rinse & repeat....

27 minutes ago, Wicky said:

Okay - show us the coding you can do to to implement necessary use of motorcycles on front line - including reversing 😉 animations showing pixeltroopen putting the bike on its centre stand when parking up, shooting on the move and importantly jumping over barb wire fences.  Again if you want to mimic motorcycle reccie riders get a nominated driver & pile em up in a jeep or Kubel - park up behind behind a house or trees when approaching suspected enemy locations, disembark and walk a bit further to watch & wait rinse & repeat....

I'm not going there because I don't want to be kicked off these forums. You want to discuss this in private, fire away.

9 minutes ago, WhiteWolf65 said:

I'm not going there because I don't want to be kicked off these forums. You want to discuss this in private, fire away.

For a guy sitting sidelined for a serious medical issue you are getting far too worked up.  We'd like you to be around a bit longer so please try to mellow down a bit.  If you don't we'll have to speak to the nursing staff about cutting off your wifi privileges.

17 minutes ago, sburke said:

For a guy sitting sidelined for a serious medical issue you are getting far too worked up.  We'd like you to be around a bit longer so please try to mellow down a bit.  If you don't we'll have to speak to the nursing staff about cutting off your wifi privileges.

Fair enough, but I don't appreciate being made to look like an ass that doesn't know what he is talking about. Woo Sa. Btw, my nurses love me....so there😉

3 hours ago, DerKommissar said:

Do hope you get better, soon!

I know motorcycles were heavily used, by all sides -- as dispatch riders.

Motorcycle---MIKAN-No--3238635.jpg

dispatch-riders-were-paid-well-but-recei

full

A very important service, when you simply couldn't text or email plans, photos and maps.

Thank you. It is going to be a long road to recovery but I hope never to experience something like what happened a week ago tomorrow again. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Dying is not one of my favorite hobbies. Again, thank you.😎

😄 I swear to God but you aren't going to believe this. I am sitting out on the porch at my apartment and guess what just went whizzing by? Some guy wearing an authentic World War II German uniform riding a beautifully restored BMW-R motorcycle. Can you say "Ironic"? He is taking the anniversary of the Invasion of Normandy way, way too far. Somebody needs to let him know that it is 2019, not 1944. I live in redneck country and he might get shot.😎

Edited by WhiteWolf65

As long as they don't hit the bike ( Just kidding). German soldier reenactors are told never to wear their uniforms when traveling to and from an event to prevent misunderstanding, especially if pulled over for a traffic violation. 

Edit:spelling

Edited by Sequoia