British WW2 training village looks exactly like something out of Combat Mission

_90860674_hi034858210.jpg

"Villagers were given a few weeks' notice to pack their bags and leave before the community was abandoned in December 1943.

It was needed by the army to provide an exercise area for US troops preparing to invade Europe."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-wiltshire-37144240

Could be fun to recreate this village as a training mission :)

10 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Sadly, it looks exactly like what it is, something knocked together in the early 70s.

I was going to say it looks like something knocked together with the expectation that after a few rounds of rifle caliber fire it would fall apart.

In 1954 my brother did his basic training at Fort Campbell KY. He told me that part of their training involved capturing this mock village. The recruits were issued blank ammo, but the opfor trainers had real bullets. The point was to fire close enough to the trainees to give them a good sense of being fired at and to develop the kind of reflexes that would keep them alive. My brother told me that the woodwork of the houses was so riddled with bullet holes that you could practically knock it apart with your fist. I suppose they must have been rebuilt every so often.

Salisbury Plain has been used as a training ground since the 1890's. And, was also used for the filming of battle recreations for newsreel during the Boer Wars and WW1. The M.O.D. still own about half of it. As mentioned above, the buildings in the picture were built for urban fighting training in the early 70's. And I'm not sure how much of the WW2 training area has been left untouched. But just a few days ago an MG J2 Roadster sports car from 1932 was unearthed by the local archaeology society whilst digging a WW2 artillery position.

10 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

A precious find! But one wonders how it came to be buried there.

Michael

According to Wessex Archaeology it was probably dumped there in the 60's, possibly by some old boy who knew it would no longer pass it's M.O.T. It showed signs of having been repaired quite a few times, including having an engine that was a different make to the original.

On 14.9.2017 at 3:41 PM, Bulletpoint said:

_90860674_hi034858210.jpg

"Villagers were given a few weeks' notice to pack their bags and leave before the community was abandoned in December 1943.

It was needed by the army to provide an exercise area for US troops preparing to invade Europe."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-wiltshire-37144240

Could be fun to recreate this village as a training mission :)

Hm, looks like any other training village, I have seen in Germany and Switzerland. Except the double-deckers, of course.

If you get too close to them, they don't look very real any longer.

1 hour ago, Combatintman said:

The blob in the middle of this image is a young Combatintman in the same village in 1984.    

Back in the day!!  Thanks for sharing.  That made me laugh and brought back some memories.  We had a MOUT city at Ft. Bragg that our Military Intelligence Battalion trained in. The excuse was that the infantry had by-passed it and we needed to secure it.  It had abandoned cars, tunnels (sewers), and some buildings that were up to three or four stories high. All cinder block stuff.  I thought it was pretty cool at the time.  

During an AAR after one exercise my company was standing in the street outside of one of the big buildings in MOUT city.  An observer described to us how we had gained access to the roof of the big building from an adjoining building, then proceeded to clear it from the top down.  He seemed impress that we threw flash bangs into every room and followed up with teams stacking and assaulting into each room (we had blanks & flash suppressors).  Then at the end he pointed to a sign on the front of the building and asked one of our NCOs to read the F%&*ing sign.  The sign said Hospital.  :D :lol: :P   Good times!      

I guess I didn't make my point clear - the point is not that it's a historical place from WW2, or a unique training village.

My point was that it visually looks like something out of this game. The copy/paste buildings sitting on top of the grass like boxes, the high walls and the low walls intersecting at 45 degree angles, etc.

13 hours ago, JoMc67 said:

No, Silly...It's SLENDER MAN :-)

Unfortunately, Slenderman is associated with a tragic outcome in my neck of the woods.  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slender_Man_stabbing)

9 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

I guess I didn't make my point clear - the point is not that it's a historical place from WW2, or a unique training village.

My point was that it visually looks like something out of this game. The copy/paste buildings sitting on top of the grass like boxes, the high walls and the low walls intersecting at 45 degree angles, etc.

Life imitating art, perhaps?  B)

52 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Yeah I sometimes played soldier back then too... when I was not potty training :)

Hey, we were an "active combat unit" in those days. Defending our second line radar station against infamous assaults from "Redland".

But being an Airforce support unit, I do remember some unreal situations, when we had contact to real soldiers. Brits and the like...