Theatre of Operations AAR: The battle of St. Andre de l’Epine

21 hours ago, IanL said:

202StAndredelEpineOrders-Close_zpsto6onq

Disaster strikes. Artillery falls just behind the lead troops and lands right on top of the engineers and the following platoon.

Wow.  Big craters.  Not only artillery but I'm guessing heavy artillery.  I wonder if he has a TRP in the area since I don't recall that you were forewarned by spotting rounds.  

IanL,

Doggone enemy artillery. :o  That was an ugly strike.  I was going to mention you'd need some traffic control at the farm, judging from all the yellow movement lines.  Then death fell from the sky. 

Really great screen shots and you are keeping us right in the thick of the action.

Heinrich505

Minute 3:20-3:19:

Artillery continues to fall.

20171116083648-e9941176.jpg

An enemy MG opens up on members of E Co who were fleeing the artillery.

20171116083649-1a8c720c.jpg

F Co’s tank support fires some HE down the farm track.

20171116083650-31fb3e5a.jpg

Minute 3:19: Orders

Most of the artillery area is clear of troops only on squad from E Co is under fire from an enemy MG. They move out of the line of fire.

20171116083651-a3cb76bd.jpg

Pull the tank back and send in more infantry.

20171116083653-7a66e77f.jpg

Edited by IanL

Minute 3:19-3:18:

Artillery continues to rain down. Mostly on top of bodies and wrecked vehicles from earlier in the barrage.

20171116083654-013a54ef.jpg

The men trying to clear the farm track are hit by an enemy MG on the far side of the next field as they run through the gap.

20171116083655-c5e62470.jpg

Minute 3:18: Orders

E Co begins to reorganize from the chaos.

20171116083656-c71e27e1.jpg

F Co brings up more tanks to pound that newly spotted MG.

20171116083657-69f87b06.jpg

Edited by IanL

The Situation at 3:18

We are done! I have been tracking casualties but I didn’t keep a running total. After this last turn I decided I should be so I totaled up the casualties my men have suffered up to this point: 61. As you recall the casualties needed to be kept to below 6% which is 50 men. I actually passed that a few minutes ago.

Here is where we are now:

20171116083659-62b5ee64.jpg

20171116083658-07a1cb4f.jpg

In summary E Co managed to get to phase line Able but they have not cleared the enemy from their right flank. At the same time F Co managed to push to phase line Baker. Again though there are areas to their left that are not clear. I would think now that the casualty numbers have been reached F Co would pull back and secure their flanks. Meanwhile the battalion should look at either holding there or push to clear E Co’s flanks. The problem with that is there are fortifications there that would probably best be dealt with by pushing past them along the two current attack paths rather than pushing head on.

Edited by IanL

So I said we are done but @Mad Mike and I have exchanged more turns after this.  Like I said I was not keeping a running total of casulties and only noticed I was "done" as I was writing this up and thinking to my self after writing up that artillery strike that I should check my casualty levels.

Regardless of what happens with the campaign discussion I'll post the remaining turns and any more we decide to do...

So I said we are done but @Mad Mike and I have exchanged more turns after this.  Like I said I was not keeping a running total of casulties and only noticed I was "done" as I was writing this up and thinking to my self after writing up that artillery strike that I should check my casualty levels.

Regardless of what happens with the campaign discussion I'll post the remaining turns and any more we decide to do...

@IanL and @Mad Mike great battle to the both of you, and thank you so much for volunteering! And a special thanks to IanL for this brilliant AAR! So we have some options to discuss, but let's keep the most of the campaign level discussion on the other forum. I encourage anyone that wants to follow along or join the discussion you may do so at http://dogsofwarvu.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html . I will add that a new 'combat day' is getting ready to kick off and anyone wanting to participate to play out battles may do so by going to the forum and volunteering when the message is sent out.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

His team are still working on it. Right now he is conducting a demonstration game by hand using the algorithms he plans to implement in the game. It had been very helpful for him to see the issues people discuss and how the integration with tactical games will work. It is fun and interesting to watch and now you can participate. Join in @Erwin!

Fascinating.  B)

RE: The inappropriate Rhino.....Sherman Dozers were used to clear bocage, perhaps your Rhino was actually one of those? 

An atual Sherman Dozer would be a nice addition to the game IMHO, perhaps treated like a combination of Rhino/Crab?

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Hi @Erwin, IanL is correct. We renamed the game to Theater of Operations some time after the Kickstarter. There is tons of information on our forum regarding the project. Recently a gaming blog ran 2 articles on ToO and the link is on my forum. The plan is for 2 independent games, but the eventual goal is an automated link between the games. However lots of things need to happen first before that could ever become a reality. Nothing is stopping a manual link between the games (hence this AAR), but players just have to do some grunt work. So check out the thread that IanL linked here on this forum, and check out our main forum (linked below).

Most battles are resolved using the combat resolution system for ToO, therefore most battles are NOT fought out at the tactical level. For any engagement that people want to play out using a tactical system (like CM), players may do so. In fact you can use any tactical system you want. For instance in the latest round of combat in the operational scenario I am doing, one person is using Advanced Squad Leader to resolve a tactical battle. Another person wants to fight a tactical battle using CM and is looking for an opponent. IanL and Mad Mike resolved the battle in this AAR thread. Then I can take the results and plug them in to the operational layer (ToO). Does this make sense? Again, feel free to check out the dogsofwarvu.com forum in my footer.