Next Generation Bradley demonstrator

Ivanov

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@VladimirTarasov They do.  I think the stated reason for operating at that capacity in-game is to avoid cross-loading dances.  With that said the above pictured seats have since been replaced by bench seats so you can more easily squeeze dismounts inside and 9 isn't unheard of-- certainly not normal but not unheard of.  If you're packed too tightly inside you just end up falling asleep anyways so doesn't really matter how cramped it is.

47 minutes ago, TheForwardObserver said:

They do.  I think the stated reason for operating at that capacity in-game is to avoid cross-loading dances.  With that said the above pictured seats have since been replaced by bench seats so you can more easily squeeze dismounts inside and 9 isn't unheard of-- certainly not normal but not unheard of.  If you're packed too tightly inside you just end up falling asleep anyways so doesn't really matter how cramped it is.

Roger that, but is it realistic to have whole battle groups with 9 troops in each Bradley? I'm just wondering not that I know much about Bradley make ups. 

3 minutes ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

BFC wanted to avoid finding a way to code squads loading like this:

Ah I see, well if it's realistic and would be done in a real war then I have no issue with it. I was just wondering.

5 minutes ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

BFC wanted to avoid finding a way to code squads loading like this:

figa-2.gif

Good God that's a mess.  That's at least one thing the Soviets had right in terms of mechanized infantry organization!

fig3-69.gif

Edited by HerrTom
Picture

1 hour ago, VladimirTarasov said:

Is it me or do the Bradleys in game have 9 troop capacity? BTW those seats do look uncomfortable, but not that I'm unfamiliar with uncomfortable seating in an IFV. 

The seats aren't so bad when the vehicle is running at moderate speed on a paved road or smooth terrain. But as soon as the vehicle picks up speed, the troops in back start getting tossed around pretty roughly. It's very cramped, and those seats have no springs at all just a foam rubber pad, so it can get rather painful after awhile. Oh did I mention that we were packed in like sardines?

Re: Cross Loading

In game, there's some really mild cheating to give you the squads you're supposed to have come out of the Bradley plus the HQ that also somehow manifest.

IRL it gets more fluid.  A lot more fluid depending on manning (which is rarely totally 100% top to bottom), mission need, or even split platoon operations.  I've also seen non-doctrinal solutions that accepted smaller squads (so three six man elements, with an HQ and gun team), or went heavy on support weapons (two full squads, two heavy weapons teams).  I haven't seen, but heard of smaller teams being used in urban fights to basically allow a smaller stack/assault team to roll straight out of the PC to the target building.

But this fluidity is about impossible to really model as is in game, so you get a solution that generates generally what comes out of the back of a Bradley once it's fully dismounted.

Re: Seats

They are not especially comfortable, and the suspension is not that great.  On the other hand, this is not a Bradley specific problem, and most mechanized infantrymen are in my opinion, only aggressive on the assault so as to put themselves as far away as possible from the troop bay on their carriers.  

10 hours ago, Splinty said:

The seats aren't so bad when the vehicle is running at moderate speed on a paved road or smooth terrain. But as soon as the vehicle picks up speed, the troops in back start getting tossed around pretty roughly. It's very cramped, and those seats have no springs at all just a foam rubber pad, so it can get rather painful after awhile. Oh did I mention that we were packed in like sardines?

Hehe... Sardines? 

3 hours ago, VladimirTarasov said:

Hehe... Sardines?

What that a request for explanation - "what the heck are sardines"? 

In case it was - it is an English (North American only, perhaps, not sure) expression that means packed close together and squeezed in.  Sardines are small fish that are frequently packed tightly in a can like this:

sardines.jpg

If that was not a request for explanation - then just ignore me :)

4 minutes ago, VladimirTarasov said:

Hehe I'm not unfamiliar with that smell. 

C'mon man my english is superb you can't just do me in like that :D 

Sorry man. :D I have a good friend who is Serbian and his English is excellent and he barely has an accent.  Most people have no idea he was not born here.  But the one thing he has trouble with is our goofy expressions - like this one. So, I know all to well how excellent English does not always mean that someone knows the goofy expressions and slang.  Like I said if if you already know then just ignore me. ;)

Edited by IanL

1 hour ago, George MC said:

@VladimirTarasov I'm jealous of your fluent English - wish i could speak Russian as good, or even English if I'm honest! Would have saved me many hangovers in the past! Maybe...

You should try to learn Russian then :D could help you in Combat Mission understanding what those green men say. Thanks for the compliment.

2 hours ago, IanL said:

So, I know all to well how excellent English does not always mean that someone knows the goofy expressions and slang.  Like I said if if you already know then just ignore me. ;)

Just for your information: the expression about being packed like sardines exists also in Polish and in Spanish ( spoken in Spain, not sure about the Latin countries ). So it's one of those expressions that are international.