Next Generation Bradley demonstrator

Ivanov

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A short defense of the dinosaur:

I've got more dinosaur stories.  And quite a few of them involved ideas of questionable merit.  

But in his defense, he served this country more or less honorably for years, on several occasions packed up his family and moved overseas, and basically answered his nation's call when 99.9% of Americans let it go right to voice mail.

I interacted with him at the nadir of his career, long after his relevance had passed in many ways, or people had taken him seriously.  He'd missed some key dates/events due to his time in the Guard and teaching in Saudi Arabia so he was already heading towards the chopping block even before the big batch o' Army personnel cuts, so he was sort of treated as a second class citizen.

He honestly and legitimately continued to try to think of ways for the Army to better do it's job.  Which is more than I can say for many who simply doubled down on what worked, pretended war with Russia would just be OEF/OIF with the bad guys in uniform (an exaggeration) or that Russia was still the Soviet Union (less common these days).  He thought outside of the box, and was supremely well educated.

Just it happened that sometimes, when you leave the box, you don't always get to a place that is terribly practical.  Blimps as a means of moving cargo isn't that out there (indeed, the army has experimented with them for smaller loads), but I think the panzers from the sky was just a bit too far of a reach.

8 minutes ago, Raptorx7 said:

DOD's going to pay us for this right, I mean this can't be anymore ridiculous than what they actually come up with sometimes?

You got that right! But I think you have to be part of the in-crowd before they grant you that kind of recognition. Might steal your ideas though...

Michael

On 10/13/2016 at 6:36 AM, panzersaurkrautwerfer said:

Just it happened that sometimes, when you leave the box, you don't always get to a place that is terribly practical.  Blimps as a means of moving cargo isn't that out there (indeed, the army has experimented with them for smaller loads), but I think the panzers from the sky was just a bit too far of a reach.

I agree. Panzers from the sky is hard, but Panzers from the sea is good.

We'll keep the weight to what a C17 can haul, and we'll eliminate the air-droppable requirement, and replace it with air transportable.

Either that or we can establish some kind of air-droppable parts scenario, like the first airborne drops were, and break each tank into pieces, scatter them all over the landscape, jump in, and start assembling the pieces.

^^^

Wow. Stunningly good idea, and it unlocked a memory.

Years ago, I was admitted to a secret field trial. It was held under tents, obviously to prevent satellite recon. Admission was pretty tight with controlled access. Anyway, they had seats set up in tiers around the central display. (They also had various uniformed attendants wandering up and down the seating area, expressing concern about our status.) Anyway, the grand poobah came out with a single spotlight on him. He went through his spiel, and then the lights popped on. There was a friggin' ginormous cannon sitting there. The bore was about 600-700mm. I estimate it to have been about 30 calibers in length.

So, they get this volunteer. He climbs up and enters the MUZZLE! A few seconds later, there's a huge report, a cloud of smoke, and this friggin' guy comes FLYING out! Luckily, they had a net.

Obviously, they used a reduced charge.

However, with Navy war-dolphins, and a battle charge in the cannon, you could probably get some long-range dolphin insertions with one of those weapons. You may even be able to mount one on TOP of a Bradley replacement? The dolphin could do water recon before the Brad replacement goes all amphibious and all.

Ken "now I have a strange desire for cotton candy"

Edited by c3k

5 hours ago, c3k said:

Years ago, I was admitted to a secret field trial. It was held under tents, obviously to prevent satellite recon. Admission was pretty tight with controlled access. Anyway, they had seats set up in tiers around the central display. (They also had various uniformed attendants wandering up and down the seating area, expressing concern about our status.) Anyway, the grand poobah came out with a single spotlight on him. He went through his spiel, and then the lights popped on. There was a friggin' ginormous cannon sitting there. The bore was about 600-700mm. I estimate it to have been about 30 calibers in length.

So, they get this volunteer. He climbs up and enters the MUZZLE! A few seconds later, there's a huge report, a cloud of smoke, and this friggin' guy comes FLYING out! Luckily, they had a net.

Ahem, imbibe a little too much prune juice this morning, Ken? I notice you seem to be leaking.

:lol:

Michael

13 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

Ahem, imbibe a little too much prune juice this morning, Ken? I notice you seem to be leaking.

:lol:

Michael

C'mon. I was only, like, 7 or 8. And the aisle attendants? They kept trying to give us peanuts. I'm still wondering about the war elephants they brought out. I thought they were obsolete...even back then.

:)

Playing in CBFB, I see that "blizzard" makes it hard to see.

So our next gen Abrams (squad, mortar, VLS Javelin, etc.) needs some kind of wiper thing to clear snow. Or maybe some kind of area heater that projects a cone that melts snow within a certain radius. Or something. I haven't given it much thought. The galley needs a microwave. For Cup O' Noodles and other Ramen products.

Edited by Jammersix

Why not point the microwave forwards, so you melt the snow.  Go all-electric with hardened circuits to protect against EMP, while the vehicle runs on a small nuclear turbine.  That  way, you can pump hundreds of kilowatts into your microwave to melt the snow.  And cook your Cup O' Noodles with it.  Plus, you'll be so silent, the government will require speakers on it so that people know you're there.

This may complicate the supply chain, so I propose a program to replace ALL internal combustion engines with this reactor, thus having Parts Commonality!

3 hours ago, HerrTom said:

...the vehicle runs on a small nuclear turbine.

Excellent idea. If they can put a nuke in a submarine, why not a smaller nuke in a tank? This might also dovetail nicely with an idea I am contemplating about micro-ton nuclear ammo for the automatic grenade launcher on the tank. Why not be able to take out an entire company of infantry with a single grenade?

Michael

33 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

Excellent idea. If they can put a nuke in a submarine, why not a smaller nuke in a tank? This might also dovetail nicely with an idea I am contemplating about micro-ton nuclear ammo for the automatic grenade launcher on the tank. Why not be able to take out an entire company of infantry with a single grenade?

Michael

Excellent idea.  We could even augment the attached Javelin launcher to accept Davy Crockett warheads instead of the HEAT one?  You're in a tank, so you probably won't get cooked.

1 hour ago, Jammersix said:

I've been playing with the idea of replacing the coax with a Bushmaster.

But I don't want to make this thing unreasonable.

Bushmaster IV is not unreasonable, 40mm can do quite some damage. However that's a silly idea anyways, put an extra 120mm on it with a extra loader and you have 2 M829A3s coming out at 6-9 rounds a minute. The loader's weapon on top should be switched to a TOW-2B and the commander's machine gun should be a Bushmaster cannon. The future of combat is against heavy armored forces, gotta think outside the box ;)