BMP-2 kills Oplot with an ATGM

Ivanov

Oh nice! Great.

Observations :

That's crazy close, to fire an ATGM. But I guess it's the only weapon the BMP has to kill it. 

Clear weather and a semi-ambush position (in that while not flanking, it is firing without being spotted). 

Perhaps that has been the main impediment to BMP 2s firing -  the comparatively low quality of the TA systems. They take too long to fire,  getting killed before pressing the button. 

It would be good to track the action text for BMP 2s,  see if they're actually aiming before they die. Of course,  the game doesn't tell us if they're loading/aiming the ATGM system or the gun... 

Edited by kinophile

15 minutes ago, kinophile said:

Oh nice! Great.

Observations :

That's crazy close, to fire an ATGM. But I guess it's the only weapon the BMP has to kill it. 

Clear weather and a semi-ambush position (in that while not flanking, it is firing without being spotted). 

Perhaps that has been the main impediment to BMP 2s firing -  the comparatively low quality of the TA systems. They take too long to fire,  getting killed before pressing the button. 

It would be good to track the action text for BMP 2s,  see if they're actually aiming before they die. Of course,  the game doesn't tell us if they're loading/aiming the ATGM system or the gun... 

The distance was about 150m. What's quite abnormal about this situation, is that the Oplot actually spotted the BMP but it didn't fire during the 10 seconds. I think it's because simultaneously it was receiving fire from the infantry hidden in the buildings. Before getting killed by the BMP, it got hit by another ATGM ( I think it was fired by the infantry but I couldn't see it ) but the first missile didn't even manage to damage it.

IMO the tank should have fired at the BMP because it could see it, while it didn't see the infantry. But it's a separate issue.

Edited by Ivanov

7 hours ago, Ivanov said:

What's quite abnormal about this situation, is that the Oplot actually spotted the BMP but it didn't fire during the 10 seconds.

There is bug ingame with Oplot, when its commander just doing forever "rotating" and nothing else.

12 hours ago, Ivanov said:

The distance was about 150m. What's quite abnormal about this situation, is that the Oplot actually spotted the BMP but it didn't fire during the 10 seconds. I think it's because simultaneously it was receiving fire from the infantry hidden in the buildings. Before getting killed by the BMP, it got hit by another ATGM ( I think it was fired by the infantry but I couldn't see it ) but the first missile didn't even manage to damage it.

IMO the tank should have fired at the BMP because it could see it, while it didn't see the infantry. But it's a separate issue.

Сan you post photo where the missile hit this Oplot ? Did ERA not work on glacis or this was hit in weak zone ?

6 hours ago, Oleg said:

There is bug ingame with Oplot, when its commander just doing forever "rotating" and nothing else.

That's right - the commander was rotating all the time. Too bad -  hopefully it will get noticed and fixed. 

@ChrisND @Battlefront.com

I can provide the save file if necessary.

In the mean time I think it's safer to go for the Bulats. 

Ivanov sorry bud that proofs already been provided. I dont know what suddenly started it but someone pointed out abt a mnth ago in a diff thread theyre firing now.

So i set up a simple hotseat test without lanes and the 2ms all fired kornets at abrams.

I still stand by and everyone elses experience of them not firing for over a year and am genuinely curious as to what exactly happened or changed

Sorry I am late to the party.  I am the other half of this battle and since kinophile asked about the timing I will go over what happened with this engagement.  It is a little complicated.

I will go by the turn countdown timer, we are at 38:36 when the BMP-2M spots the tank.

38:35, the vehicle turns towards the tank, and the gunner is aiming, the 30mm is the current weapon

38:34 1st Squad/A team first an RPG-26 which hits the tank, it gets pretty confusing here as B team also fires three RPG-26's, all miss.  I am sure of the hit but not which team did it.

38:31 The gunner fires a set of 30mm which hits the front of the tank but does no damage that I can tell

38:30 gunner is aiming, ATGM selected

38:27 2nd Squad B team fires and RPG 7 tandem round which hits the reactive armor, again, no damage that I can tell.  The tank has turned it's turret to the left and fires some MG rounds at my infantry

38:23 gunner fires the ATGM flight time is 1 second, the round hits the Superstructure Front Hull and penetrates.

The gunner continues to fire bursts of 30mm until the turn ends.

10 minutes ago, michael Dwyer said:

I will go by the turn countdown timer, we are at 38:36 when the BMP-2M spots the tank.

(...)

38:23 gunner fires the ATGM flight time is 1 second, the round hits the Superstructure Front Hull and penetrates.

So it took the BMP 13 seconds to fire the ATGM? No wonder that they usually don't launch the missiles and get killed before they manage to fire. BTW - the cannon and RPG rounds didn't do any damage to the tank.

Plus,  firing the 30mm would alert the tank,  no? My be it's a case of the BMP fires the gun by default,, then select the missile . This would reveal it's position,  delay firing the ATGM and ruining it's ambush effect. 

Personally I'd like to see screens of a 2km+ ATGM firing. 

Edited by kinophile

I've seen BRDM-2M AT-5s (with the improved optics)  kill two or three Abrams in some games  by firing at rear and sides and top turret from an elevated position reverse sloped. Never use them in other settings when taking on Abrams.  Against the Brad hull down at medium-long range they are quite effective and cheap !