Muddy, slow vs fast?

I can't recall ever having a vehicle become immobilized due to terrain in CMx2. I always go slow moving through any kind of iffy terrain; that might or might not have something to do with it. I confess I never tested the idea by going fast over the same ground to see what would happen.

Michael

I wonder whether a change in this might be omitted in the "readme" for the new release. Or, indeed, whether it makes any difference in real life: the farmer who towed me out of a muddy field after Easter didn't seem to think that going slow would bog us less... :)

I do remember a bug that was adressed where if a tank goin slow ran over at mines it would suffer minor track damage thats it where if itwas going fast or hunt itd destroy or immobilize

*presume adressed

Edited by Sublime

4 hours ago, womble said:

I wonder whether a change in this might be omitted in the "readme" for the new release. <Snip>  

Hmmm ............... I don't know.  Was there an actual change?  I know there was some discussion but I don't recall anything definitive.  This would be something nice to know and then a follow up question would be, if there was in fact a change, if said change would eventually be introduced into the other titles.   

My SOP has been speed makes either no difference or so little difference that I travel at the speed I think appropriate for the tactical situation.  Typically Fast.

4 hours ago, womble said:

<Snip>  the farmer who towed me out of a muddy field after Easter didn't seem to think that going slow would bog us less... :)

:lol: Now that was funny! :D

Yep, quite a while ago.  Should be no mine's don't work surprises.  Well other than it is actually possible for a vehicle to pass over a mine infested AS - just not very likely.  I have had one or two bren carriers pass along a road only to have the Sherman right behind them taken out and his buddy behind that taken out trying to pass :(

I've observed with a muddy affair that slow and hunt were roughly the same chances for bogging but reduced more so than fast or move.

I also noticed bogging while sitting in one position for too long. One Sherman had a tow cable displayed but no one in the proximity to help tow him out if that is built into the options....

14 hours ago, Overwatch said:

I've observed with a muddy affair that slow and hunt were roughly the same chances for bogging but reduced more so than fast or move.

I also noticed bogging while sitting in one position for too long. One Sherman had a tow cable displayed but no one in the proximity to help tow him out if that is built into the options....

I believe SLOW and HUNT are actually the same movement mode when it comes to speed, the difference being what the AI will do if it spots enemy contacts or takes fire. MOVE will switch to FAST in order to get into cover (presumably), whereas HUNT will stop and try to return fire.

This is a RL perspective as an 88 operator/mechanic and does not comment on true game mechanics.

with tracked vehicles slow is often better. reason for this is in thick dirt/mud/sand debris builds up in the idler and drive sprocket causing them to throw track (a real pain in the ass, ive spent an entire night resetting track). faster movement can be a hit or miss depending on the driver, one quick pivot can leave you dead in the water. idk if the game takes this into account or not. tracks don't usually get stuck in the traditional sense they throw track which is much worst. wheel vehicles however can get stuck easily and a steady smooth straight path is the only way they can navigate thick mud, once again this depends on the driver and the vehicle. last field i was in we where in ft bliss at red sands. commander wanted to keep going through this ridiculous sand that was probably 10+m deep, if we stopped for a second that was it wheeled vehicles where stuck, you had to keep moving lock your axles and hope you didn't blow a transfer case. Funnier story, during my last deployment to Iraq our grunts loved to go mudding in there caimens (60k lbs) and blew an axle every time (not so funny to me 6 axles replace in 4 months 0-o).

On 4/12/2016 at 3:21 PM, Overwatch said:

One Sherman had a tow cable displayed but no one in the proximity to help tow him out if that is built into the options....

I dont think this is something that would have been done in the scope of this game, under fire you not going to take a good tank and put it in the same spot as a disabled tank and risk getting both stuck or destroyed. not to mention you have to expose your crew as they have to jump out to dismount/attach/ and remove the cables. also these cables arent particularly good just a option especially in mud. you just gotta cut your losses and enjoy your new bunker or use the crew as medics to get them some good weapons.