Damaged wall textures missing?

I just finished the tutorial scenario (nice map!). For me, no wall damage effects are showing and when a wall is knocked out, it is completely gone as it would be if you removed it in the Editor.

It appears as if the textures are missing/not being accessed.

See pic below:

25566901594_9c460ef667_b.jpg

Those are modular buildings so what you'd normally expect to see are the 3-D damage facades. But the demo got pared-down to the bone to get it to a reasonable download size. So the walls will go from intact to entirely blown-out. Makes no difference in the gameplay. You may notice they also limited the number of façade textures too. Nobody wants a monster-size demo download!  :)

6 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Those are modular buildings so what you'd normally expect to see are the 3-D damage facades. But the demo got pared-down to the bone to get it to a reasonable download size. So the walls will go from intact to entirely blown-out. Makes no difference in the gameplay. You may notice they also limited the number of façade textures too. Nobody wants a monster-size demo download!  :)

Cutting damage textures and reducing the visual impact of building façades seems an odd choice for a demo, especially since the graphical stick against which CM is being measured is moving ever forward. Old-timers like me can understand, but new folks likely won't think about the download time, just the state of the graphics.

For my part, I'd rather have a larger download (mine took about 5-10 minutes) and see the full game details.

Just my two cents.

19 minutes ago, Macisle said:

Cutting damage textures and reducing the visual impact of building façades seems an odd choice for a demo, especially since the graphical stick against which CM is being measured is moving ever forward. Old-timers like me can understand, but new folks likely won't think about the download time, just the state of the graphics.

For my part, I'd rather have a larger download (mine took about 5-10 minutes) and see the full game details.

Just my two cents.

I would agree with you that you want the demo to look as fantastic as possible, but your download time is not the experience that many have. It took me 4 1/2 hours. And I know many others who have the same experience. 

2 minutes ago, Bud Backer said:

I would agree with you that you want the demo to look as fantastic as possible, but your download time is not the experience that many have. It took me 4 1/2 hours. And I know many others who have the same experience. 

Was there nothing else that could have been cut out? I've never seen a game cut visual damage graphics just to save on download time.

Was there any notation made to let people know that they are not seeing some of the graphical functionality in the demo that they will see in the full game?

3 hours ago, Macisle said:

That's an interesting response.

My guess is, it created some eye rolls of its own.

I'll leave it at that.

I do not understand that and I understand no eye rolling

Your question is completely justified. The difference is unlikely to be noticing.

We're talking about graphics from the Middle Ages (not Models!)

Ich kann kein Englisch^^

On 4/2/2016 at 8:03 PM, Bud Backer said:

How? It took like 4 min. It was under a gig if I recall 

I suppose that is one of the drawbacks of the net, the vast variety of download speeds, from one type of hardware to another, from provider to provider, from country to country etc. I'm lucky, mine only took 15mins. People like Bud have my sympathy. I'd be effing and blinding at my comp if a download took 4 1/2 hours.

I can only get a 10 Mb/s connection over the phone-line, due to living in a nice rural area, and it took me under 20 min.

4 1/2 hour must be some error,- you can't even get connections so slow...

I too think Battlefront made the wrong call,- the weak point in the CM-series are the graphics, and if they want new customers, they better make the Demo as "shiny" as possible.

Cheers,

Edited by BodyBag

1 hour ago, BodyBag said:

I can only get a 10 Mb/s connection over the phone-line, due to living in a nice rural area, and it took me under 20 min.

I too think Battlefront made the wrong call,- the weak point in the CM-series are the graphics, and if they want new customers, they better make the Demo as "shiny" as possible.

Cheers,

I only get 79 kbs at the end of a DSL hub and also took 4 hours to download. Be thankful for 10 MBs 

1 hour ago, BodyBag said:

Cheers,

:huh:

Did you just say "phone-line"?  That was a typo, right?

I feel for you guys. 

Edited by eniced73

btw...something is skewed somewhere.  Complaining about a 10 Mb line seems weird.  That should be plenty fast enough for most things.  Besides, the average connection speed for residential in the North America and the EU is less than 1 Mb.

My family lives in the Rangely Mountains in Maine and they just got DSL.  Couple a hundred baud.

2 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

btw...something is skewed somewhere.  Complaining about a 10 Mb line seems weird.  That should be plenty fast enough for most things.  Besides, the average connection speed for residential in the North America and the EU is less than 1 Mb.

My family lives in the Rangely Mountains in Maine and they just got DSL.  Couple a hundred baud.

Well, not in my country. The average speed is around 16 Mb/s in Q4 2015, which makes my connection slow.

And for the US it's around 12 Mb/s in 2015, - don't know how you get to those numbers...

Edited by BodyBag

The 5 number is with commercial and government removed.  But I can't find that link.

This report confirms your overall number of 12 Mb as average.  The bad news is that less than half of the US has 10 Mb or greater speeds.  And again, this includes business and government, which tend to have significantly higher speeds because they pay for them and have the infrastructure.

https://www.akamai.com/us/en/multimedia/documents/report/q3-2015-soti-connectivity-final.pdf

So the short of it is 10 Mb isn't some crappy bumkin number.  It is most likely a little above average.

And my less than 1 Mb number turns out to be non-metro US.

19 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

The 5 number is with commercial and government removed.  But I can't find that link.

This report confirms your overall number of 12 Mb as average.  The bad news is that less than half of the US has 10 Mb or greater speeds.  And again, this includes business and government, which tend to have significantly higher speeds because they pay for them and have the infrastructure.

https://www.akamai.com/us/en/multimedia/documents/report/q3-2015-soti-connectivity-final.pdf

So the short of it is 10 Mb isn't some crappy bumkin number.  It is most likely a little above average.

And my less than 1 Mb number turns out to be non-metro US.

Again, the US numbers are not relevant to ME, because I don't live in the US.

Your connection-speed is probably GREAT compared to the Sahara Desert, but that's not relevant either.

I live in a country with a HIGHER average connection-speed than the US, where MORE than 50% of the connections are higher than 10 Mb/s, and 30% are higher than 15 Mb/s.

And THAT makes it a slow connection in my country.

Edited by BodyBag