Black Sea sale?

Captain Black -couple items to your questions as you look to be new and there are things that one won't know immediately upon finding this forum

CMSF was the first Combat Mission game with the new CMx2 engine.  Personally I love the game, but it does not have all the features that show up with the later games - CMBN, CMFI, CMRT, Black Sea and the soon to be released CMFB or Bulge game.  All those titles will be maintained through patches to a certain standard and unified feature set.  So yes Black Sea will continue to maintain it's engine status as current. CMSF does have a ton of user created content though.

Also periodically BF will update the installer.  So for example let's say you buy (well you did buy - good show!  You'd have been waiting a looooonnng time for a sale) the base game.  Next year they release the module.  They will rebuild the installer so that it includes the module for everyone.  You only gain access to the module however if you are licensed through purchase - so you DL the new installer, delete your old.  You now have the base game and module in one installer patched to the current level.  You would not have to purchase the new module to have access to the installer, but your license would be limited to the base game. That base game however would be at the current patch level.  If you later decide to purchase the module you would not have to DL, you would just apply the new license.  I make it a habit of replacing my installer with every release and keep a copy on a cloud drive.  As you noted the server download which is not run by BF can be slow.

In terms of additional content, Black Sea will get at least one additional module and I would not be surprised at all to see more.  The community wants basically every European force represented as well as the full gamut of US and Russian Marines, unconventional forces and anything else they can stuff in there.  As long as BF thinks it is financially viable I think they will try to meet some of those expectations. In addition there will be lots of user content and the editor will basically insure you never run out of stuff to try.

Welcome to the world of Combat Mission- your life as you knew it is over.  :D

lol the last mile is rarely the bottleneck.  That is the problem with promises form your provider.  I "think" the source is Amazon cloud, but am not positive.  I would have thought they would have better speed, but it could be anywhere in between that is your bottleneck.  I rarely get more than 2mb DL at home for anything even though I am rated higher.

Welcome aboard Capt! Please be aware that you've just entered a deep, dark pit of obsession from which you'll NEVER emerge. All of the CMx2 engine games (CMSF, CMBN, CMFI, CMBS, and soon to be released (we hope and pray and beg) CMFB) are so immersive that you'll sit down at 1700 " for a quick few minutes" and look up to realize it's 0300. Add to that the best forums (with the most knowledgeable, friendly, helpful, opinionated, and cantankerous members) you'll find on line. Prepare for a lifetime of simulations.

Edited by Vet 0369

If instead of 'latest and best' you're just looking for 'fun and cheap' the BFC website does have some GREAT deals. CM:Shock Force is a much older title no longer being supported (no updates or patches), and is missing a lot of features of the current game engine. And its Quick Battle setup is rudimentary.  But damn, it's only fifteen bucks! The number of third party mods and scenarios to download is vast. Yes, CMBS is far superior in every way and is still being supported by the company. But that doesn't mean CMSF won't offer you months and years of entertainment for your dollar. A ballpark hot dog may not be the same quality as a steak dinner, but its still mighty tasty.

Just finished my first run-through of Speed and Power. What can I say, simply blown away by the depth and of gameplay. 

Just love that you can replay all angles of the battle from any position or unit. Really helps to get a "feel", from so many perspectives on the consequences of every action you take.

Having mostly played games like  Company of Heroes, CMBS is such a huge leap forward, like a jump from the old Call of Duty games to the Arma series. 

Cant believe I missed this game, best sim, war-game, game, I have ever played... period.

Just finished my first run-through of Speed and Power. What can I say, simply blown away by the depth and of gameplay. 

Just love that you can replay all angles of the battle from any position or unit. Really helps to get a "feel", from so many perspectives on the consequences of every action you take.

Having mostly played games like  Company of Heroes, CMBS is such a huge leap forward, like a jump from the old Call of Duty games to the Arma series. 

Cant believe I missed this game, best sim, war-game, game, I have ever played... period.

Yep, this was pretty much me 6 months ago.  Now all i need is CMFI and CMFB to round out my collection. :D