Beyond Overlord vs. Beyond Normandy

I only own the original Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord, but it looks like Battlefront has had many new releases of Combat Mission since then, including this Battle for Normandy.

What major innovations have changed in these newer versions, besides improved graphics?

I barely have mastered the original and found it rather difficult to succeed at, but not sure if this was my fault or because the game was designed to be difficult.

Is Beyond Normandy more intuitive or does it have better gameplay or some reason that would make it a must-buy for a Beyond Overlord owner?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

I think you will find by playing the demo, the two games do not play alike either.

So the game tactics you used in CMX1 might not work well, in CMX2.

I found myself quickly having to learn to change my play style because of how the game now functions. So expect a new steep learning curb to be able to play the CMX2 game.

The good news with that is, It is actually a more realistic approach that is needed to be good at. So understanding  sound tactical level aspects of combat can help when trying to play the game.

Much of the difference can be summarised in one word though: detail.

Vehicle armour is modelled per pixel.

Personnel are modelled as individual soldiers for spotting, firing and casualties (there's no "aggregate" firepower stat).

The ground scale is more detailed: a single 8m Action Square can have something like a dozen different interacting features that affect LOS and LOF.

The OOBs are more detailed.

C2 is more detailed.

And this can all be seen in the demo. But read the manual first, because the demo is a demo, not a tutorial, and if you don't know what you're getting into you might just throw your hands up in horror at the things that happen.

Much of the difference can be summarised in one word though: detail.

Vehicle armour is modelled per pixel.

Personnel are modelled as individual soldiers for spotting, firing and casualties (there's no "aggregate" firepower stat).

The ground scale is more detailed: a single 8m Action Square can have something like a dozen different interacting features that affect LOS and LOF.

The OOBs are more detailed.

C2 is more detailed.

And this can all be seen in the demo. But read the manual first, because the demo is a demo, not a tutorial, and if you don't know what you're getting into you might just throw your hands up in horror at the things that happen.

Ditto about the manual. More detail with less abstraction also brings more complexity.

Besides the Demo there are tons of YouTube clips he can watch, especially the Armchair General tutorials .

These will give him a good idea of the detail, capability, and ambiance of the game without having to worry about commands and controls.