So did you make the right choice when buying CMRT

Just thought I'd ask what you guys that bought this game feel about it now that you've played it and have gotten a good feel for it.  

The reason I ask is that I will be finally pulling the plug on another game tomorrow and wanted to see if this was the better option.

I currently have CMBN and CMFI and thought this one might be quite a bit different since I won't be playing the Americans as I have always done from day one with any of the others I've had.  I just can't seem to bring myself to playing against the Americans for some reason.  :-))  Plus I would kinda like to mess around and get a feel for some of the neat German stuff.  Heck I may even try playing the Russians on occasion. :-)) 

I have thought long and hard on which game I should go with since money no longer grows on trees like it once did :-))  and wanted to not regret my decision like I did with BN.  No offense to BN it's just not my cup of tea.  Too much foliage for me.  

I have thought about going with CMGL but that kinda seems a waste since it's basically the same game just a few extra's over what I already have with FI.  Kinda felt that for just $20.00 more going with RT I'd get a whole new game with tons of stuff I haven't experienced yet verus going with GL and basically getting snow, German airborne and the M8 and M10 over what I already have in FI.  I know there's more than just those 4 things but those are the only items of real interest to me and is the only reason I even considered GL.  There's just not that much over what I already have in FI.    

Anyway,  any remarks would be appreciated and or thoughts or hell go ahead and put an opinion in too if you must.  :-))  

Thanks

Gustav Line had a lot of content for its price. It was at least as much game as FI was. Don't write it off entirely.

RT was really short on content when it was released but the community has really fixed that now. Lots of post-release scenarios and campaigns have been made. The best thing about RT though is that yes it's a different game from BN and FI substantially. The Russians and Eastern Front bring another whole dynamic into play and the scale for RT is much larger than the other games. Lots of huge maps with hordes of units and maneuvering options.

Lee -

I was drawn to always play the US in wargames early on but as a read more about WWII I just had to explore the Eastern Front and its overall role in the outcome of the war. So CMRT was a must in my view from a historical perspective. Also, it is just the beginning of other timeframes to be released like Stalingrad. I also became interested in the combat techniques at various levels so playing non-US forces became less of an issue from a learning POV. There is an unlimited number and type of company sized battles that played now or designed in the future. The terrain is more open I guess. But there are woods/swamps to be encountered. No massive hedgerows. So I would not hesitate getting RT unless playing the US is a complete show stopper.

- Kevin

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.  Yes slysniper -  really.  :-))  And yes I know it's kinda weird - but hey,  what it is, is what it is.  Now I have driven some of the tanks around  :-)) but nope never played them and I agree with you it's about 

time I played another country.  

CaptHawkeye I know it's just me as many people felt it worth the money and I don't mean it's not it's just I really want to get the most for my money ( as cheap as that sounds ) but it's true and to me from the few things that I see or know  about it and believe me I've read the details over and over and over it just seems to me not a whole lot more then FI but then I don't have the game either.

So Kevinkin you seem to know where I'm coming from as they say.  I have actually just recently started reading about the Eastern Front and this is probably why I'm even interested in it at all.  Prior to about 2 or 3 years ago I didn't

even know or understand to what degree the Russians played in WW ll.  Honestly, I really didn't and bet most Americans don't either.  And yes I think I'd enjoy learning more about them and learn more about the part they played.  I'll go out on a limb here and say that from what I know right now they probably would have won without us or the Brits.  I know I shouldn't say that but damn they were awesome - power wise or should I say population wise.  The more I read the more I'm convinced that they had a lot on the ball.  Just look at their tanks.  I mean damn,  somebody over there sure had  some pretty darn good thoughts on how a tank should be built.  That to me sure changed my mind about how 

backwards I thought they were.  

Kinda got off subject there, sorry, but yeah I do believe I'd enjoy getting the game but still a little up in the air.  Maybe a good nights sleep will help me decide.  :-))  Open terrain and no hedgerows does sound good.   

Hey Lee,

Some folks say to wait for the CMRT module to come out and then buy CMRT and it first module as a bundle and save a few bucks.

I have no idea how long a wait that is...

If you buy GL module you can play many other countries and for example go against the axis as Canadians in the snow with hockey sticks.

Buy GL and you can also download the CMFI GL Bulge mods and it is like a whole new game for free, while you wait for the real Bulge game.

I have no idea how long a wait that is...

Father's Day means you should get both!

Edited by kohlenklau

I absolutely wouldn't discount playing other nations whether they be Axis or Allies (yeah, I get the "I identify with the Americans 'cause I am one" kick) because you are really selling yourself short. The great fun in playing nations that are alien to you is that they open up a completely new horizon, you get to learn about their formations, equipment and vehicles/armor, which can also open up new interests in your reading, researching, and documentary watching. And the lack of familiarity can be very exciting in battle what with everything being completely new. Trust me on this, I remember when BFC announced CMBB and I was like meh, I guess I'll give it a chance and man did I find it cool once I tried it out. Same with CMAK and the same with Shock Force. I highly doubt they could offer up a front or time period that wouldn't have me interested at this point, especially anything historical because CM is a learning tool as much as a game...at least for me. I for one am REALLY looking forward to playing the Hungarians, Romanians, Finns and Italians again on the East Front (if they add them). So, my point is, don't close your mind because of self imposed biases, in the end you could end up really missing out.

Free your mind and your AS (action spot) will follow...

Oh, and GET BOTH!

Mord.

P.S. There is a lot more to BN than just bocage battles you just need to seek them out—maybe start a thread for a list of non bocage battles.

Edited by Mord

I absolutely wouldn't discount playing other nations whether they be Axis or Allies (yeah, I get the "I identify with the Americans 'cause I am one" kick) because you are really selling yourself short. The great fun in playing nations that are alien to you is that they open up a completely new horizon, you get to learn about their formations, equipment and vehicles/armor, which can also open up new interests in your reading, researching, and documentary watching. And the lack of familiarity can be very exciting in battle what with everything being completely new. Trust me on this, I remember when BFC announced CMBB and I was like meh, I guess I'll give it a chance and man did I find it cool once I tried it out. Same with CMAK and the same with Shock Force. I highly doubt they could offer up a front or time period that wouldn't have me interested at this point, especially anything historical because CM is a learning tool as much as a game...at least for me. I for one am REALLY looking forward to playing the Hungarians, Romanians, Finns and Italians again on the East Front (if they add them). So, my point is, don't close your mind because of self imposed biases, in the end you could end up really missing out.

Free your mind and your AS (action spot) will follow...

Oh, and GET BOTH!

Mord.

P.S. There is a lot more to BN than just bocage battles you just need to seek them out—maybe start a thread for a list of non bocage battles.

I have to agree it helps you open your mind to learning new things.

CMFI managed to get me to study the Italian's  much more than I ever had. They were like one army I just never even wanted to focus on because I just felt they were so under classed as a threat. Between CMFI and a few other war games. I have learned a lot. CMAK was the best for that in the old system. Learned a Ton about early British stuff in that game

Thanks for all the replies gents.  I do appreciate the responses.  

Well, after due consideration I have decided to go with GL.  While all of you had good reasons for one or the other what finally sold me was the fact that I really 

would like to fight in snow not to mention being able to get a chance to use the fantastic mods that so many modders have labored so hard on.  To me they really make the game so much more enjoyable.  Battlefront does an outstanding job but the mods certainly add to my personal enjoyment plus it's fun to look at, pick and install them.  You guys are truly awesome and I for one thank you tremendously!

Had RT been in the early years I firmly believe I'd have had to go with it as I really want to play with early T34's and KV1's against German PZ 2, 3 & 4's.  So maybe if and when that ever happens then I'll move on to the Eastern Front but until then I'll have to stick with the periods that most interest me like Italy.    

Again, thanks for helping me make a decision.  Off I go to download myself a new game.  :-)) 

CMFI managed to get me to study the Italian's  much more than I ever had. They were like one army I just never even wanted to focus on because I just felt they were so under classed as a threat. Between CMFI and a few other war games. I have learned a lot. CMAK was the best for that in the old system. Learned a Ton about early British stuff in that game

I'm positively dying for a North Africa expansion for FI with emphasis on the Italian North African Army. FI could've gone for even more emphasis on the Italians because i'm really, really fascinated with playings sides and using troops of nations we don't often hear about. Imagine if the next expansion for RT let us use the Romanians or Hungarians even.

Had RT been in the early years I firmly believe I'd have had to go with it as I really want to play with early T34's and KV1's against German PZ 2, 3 & 4's.

Fo real. It would've made it a release-day purchase for me than a year-later purchase that's for sure. Their simply are not enough games focused on the war's early years. The 1944-45 stuff just sells better I guess.

Red Thunder adds some new wrinkles, notably tank riders that, perhaps to BF's chagrin*, proved a boffo hit. My single issue is the period depicted. The war was essentially over at this point and you can't role play changing history. Perhaps a bit infantile as a take on an excellent game. One can make the same claim about Normandy but that campaign featured AMERICANS, always a guaranteed draw for the US market. Nevertheless an assiduous researcher can always dig up interesting battles from even the most unbalanced historical period of the war. Most of all there's the crucial consideration of using existing 3D models.

*Apparently adding tank riders was a source of intense labor. Now everyone wants them for all the theaters

One can make the same claim about Normandy but that campaign featured AMERICANS, always a guaranteed draw for the US market.

This is why an early war game should, in my opinion, compensate for low market draw by having a large breadth of content. A Combat Mission: Black starting in 1939 and going to 1941 featuring the Poles, French, BEF, and Russians. A whole game about the early war period might not draw enough attention if it was just about France or Poland. It might with enough breadth though. Issue is such a game will naturally be a big burden to make content for and might not be as successful as previous releases for less effort.

*Apparently adding tank riders was a source of intense labor. Now everyone wants them for all the theaters

The games always do well to feature more "risky but bold" stuff that enables players to maneuver right to edges of what we think the "rules of war" are.

Edited by CaptHawkeye

Good morning Phil.  Yes indeed!  I had to reinstall the 3.0 upgrade patch to it.  Seems each new module requires you to do that but she's working good now.  Thanks for the help and yeah wife wanted to go shopping so got tired up but still want to get with you.  

Gl made Fi like Cw made bn except more so. it added almost a year and cw amd fj. it made fi fantastic when before it was rlly meh to me. Unfortunately because i love Ost front above all else i play RT the least. i had some good times with it but its full og very large stock engagemenrs when im a company (+) guy with a few tanks. its badly overdue and in need of a module. also in online games players tend to..well i dnt know how to explain. theres not a lot of variation out there. if you as soviets lose the armor battle you re screwed and noone playing omline rlly plays how the soviets rlly fought. they buy is2s or t34/85s and smg squads and call it a day the german players get tigers and panthers and call it a day. i went from supremely confident ally east front dreams would be realized to EXTREMELY concernced whether theyll even do all of the east.

Buying RT was a good choice for me. 

I bought Black Sea first and  its a great game that I played the heck out of.

I look forward to going back to it, but just cant stop loading up another RT  quick battle.

I always play as the Russians, and I'm  accustomed to their weapons and capabilities. Some say its short on content but I guess that's the campaigns which I don't play.

Just a great game. Recommended.

This is why an early war game should, in my opinion, compensate for low market draw by having a large breadth of content. A Combat Mission: Black starting in 1939 and going to 1941 featuring the Poles, French, BEF, and Russians. 

Cool! But who's going to build all those Souma S35s and Char B1s from scratch? Did you know they lacked radios? And where are the Americans? Read Friedrich Hayek on the pitlilessness of market forces.

Cool! But who's going to build all those Souma S35s and Char B1s from scratch? Did you know they lacked radios? And where are the Americans? Read Friedrich Hayek on the pitlilessness of market forces.

Exactly, BF has already made it clear they will never again create a game with the scope of say CMBO.  Financially it is a losing strategy.  The Labor/revenue equation works out very poorly.  That being said I would love to see a 1940 Game. 

• 2 weeks later...