CMPzC Operation "Bloody Christmas" (Ortona '43)

Commander’s SITREP1, Turn #2

The map below shows sub-unit dispositions after turn #2

T2B_zps5qrr3wtb.jpg

San Donato

Ground – muddy, wet, flat fields with roads lined with trees; San Donato is a small town

Enemy – an 88mm Flak gun was spotted near the town, along with some infantry elements in the town

Friendly – CO 4PLDG (Marco) was tasked with eliminating long range weapon systems but NOT to enter the town. Aside from elements of his own formation, a troop of Shermans (3) was attached (one was lost en route to flak fire).

Result – Task was achieved. Destroyed were the 88, an 81mm mortar and one 75mm recoilless gun. Unfortunately, CO 4PLDG (Marco) was killed by a round from the gun. San Donato has been picketed to isolate the German infantry in the town for Brigade follow on forces to eliminate.

Hex 3,6

Ground – muddy, wet, fields. Moro River runs through the battlefield from north to south and is lined with trees.  The elevation on the enemy side of the river was slightly higher, and there were several buildings, concrete walls at various points along the “ridge”

Enemy – at least two 75mm ATGs and a platoon plus of FJ infantry; HMGs and medium artillery

Friendly – B Coy, RCR (PhilM) with 2 x troops Shermans (6), Assault Pioneer Platoon, 2 x troops HTs from 4PLDG, a battery 25lber arty, was tasked with crossing the Moro River with infantry to provide a guard in order to construct a bridge for vehicles.

Result – Task was achieved.  Both ATGs were destroyed along with some FJ. OC B Coy (PhilM) was KIA.  One Sherman damaged, infantry losses due mainly to enemy artillery.  B Coy is now digging in at the top of the ridge to protect the engineers while they construct a hasty bridge. D Coy (Snake_eye) will be passing through B Coy to continue the advance on San Leonardo.  D and B Companies must expect a German counter-attack to occur at anytime.  AT guns will be positioned across the river on the heights. Vehicles cannot cross until the bridge is finished, but can be used for fire support on friendly side of the river.

Hex 3,7

Ground – same as hex 3,6

Enemy – one 75mm ATG and one 50mm ATG and a platoon plus of FJ infantry; HMGs and medium artillery

Friendly – A Coy, RCR (Kuderian) with 2 x troops Shermans (6), 1 x troop ACs from 4PLDG, an engineer platoon, and a battery 4.2” mortars was tasked with crossing the Moro River with infantry to provide a guard in order to construct a bridge for vehicles.

Result - Task is ongoing and looking successful.  Both ATGs were destroyed along with some FJ; Germans are retreating, probably to San Leonardo. Some friendly ACs were destroyed. A Coy must be prepared to fend of a German counter-attack, or conduct left flanking onto Hex 3,6, in case of German counter-attack there, or continue advance to San Leonardo. AT guns will be positioned across the river on the heights.  C Coy (Fredrock1957) will move behind A Coy and be prepared for the three operations above. The engineers, 4PLDG elements and tanks will be shifted to the bridge site at Hex 3,6 for crossing. This will become an infantry only/no vehicle support force until that bridge is ready.

Future Ops .     Things are progressing well so far. The heavy weapons of San Donato have been eliminated and cannot engage our flanks as we advance to Ortona.  We have a bridge site (Hex 3,6) and all engineering resources are converging there. B Coy is digging in to protect the engineers. The other infantry companies are advancing towards San Leonardo.

Brigade Int has informed us to expect a German counter attack with panzers. AT guns are being repositioned across the Moro, but that is the only AT resources we have for now.

All forces are to maintain contact with the enemy and continue the advance on San Leonardo as per original plan.

Pro Patria!!!

Hi Koh and Chappy,

I agree fully with the way the CM battle will be fought. Obeying to orders coming from higher up even if we don't have a clear understanding of their reasons, that is what happen to a squad, a platoon and or a Company commander in a real tactical engagement.

Cheer

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like in  the 3.6 hex area, my D Company is, soon, about to begin its move across B Company. Am I right ?

Unless anything untoward occurs, you will pass through B Coy and advance on San Leonardo, yes. B Coy will be digging in and guarding the engineers as they construct the hasty bridge.  Unfortunately it will be some time before you get vehicles of any sort. A dismounted advance!

Allied team can check out the new 3km x 3km San Leonardo slugfest map. It loads as a password protected PBEM file. Get password from your CO if you don't already know it.

See if your PC has the huevos to handle it. It is still being refined, this version has slightly been revised but I had this link available...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/462w6e0d1hz6qso/AAB36hGWSqy1gsA6SDFPD3tMa?dl=0

Edited by kohlenklau

Thanks Chappy,

Good news I am moving on soon , bad news there will be no vehicles along.

That reminds me a story. A surgeon comes in the ward and looking down at a  wounded guy, tells him, "Ladd, I have good news and bad ones. Which one do you want to hear off first ? The poor ladd does not know what to say. "Well, my boy" starts to say the surgeon "the bad one is that  I had to cut both of your legs "  the poor wounded man cries in despair. "Come on ladd, don't let yourself down, the good news are that your bed neighbour is buying your shoes !"

Cheer

Allied team can check out the new 3km x 3km San Leonardo slugfest map. It loads as a password protected PBEM file. Get password from your CO if you don't already know it.

See if your PC has the huevos to handle it. It is still being refined, this version has slightly been revised but I had this link available...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/462w6e0d1hz6qso/AAB36hGWSqy1gsA6SDFPD3tMa?dl=0

Nice, an ATG's wet dream! Works OK on my newish PC.

Does the map have both Axis and Allied OoB's yet (I am wondering about the final .ema file sizes)

Thanks Dane. Our San Leonardo map (spawned and evolved from Ithikial's map of the same name) is up next.

I am trying to fit into my schedule how to do a VAAR off of other's battles so we can have some highlights here in this thread of the combat action.

To answer your question from the FGM thread: no, not aimed to be a 20,000 point monster. It is just the forces that get allocated by the Canadian CO and the axis CO (me as the umpire, so I cannot say here!).

It might be 20,000 points of forces, I am not even sure as it is scenario editor core unit imported to the battle map and NOT a QB purchase screen dealy...

Edited by kohlenklau

Here is the general picture.

Slugfest_zpsaxyclfhk.jpg

Note: Corps intel is not sure of exact German strength or positions but you did bounce them pretty hard off their Moro line. If we can get an air photo recce mission soon we will provide more detail.

Also, the Sherman troops are now taking on ammo and topping off and will be at the bridge starting at about T=20 but staggered out by troops until T=60. C Coy and D Coy also will make their approach march to the Moro starting at T=30-40.

Unfortunately Corps has pulled away the engineers to save them for the main Ortona assault. Don't fear, the hasty bridge is in progress by Major Fraser and the remaining men from Pioneer Platoon.

One ATG has already been manhandled across and will be available to be pushed up to B Coy. The rest are soon being towed across the Moro by carriers on the sides of the bridge area that will try to get through the muddy, swampy terrain the best they can. As soon as the bridge is fully completed, then it can be used for all vehicle crossings. (Any vehicles that appear as a spawned reinforcement may be sent across by the player.) 

Fraser%20Bridge_zpsvxqilvmj.jpg

Hey Mark!

It is basically all ready to be used but of course we will have vehicles stagger arrival.

Way over at Hex (3,7) I now recall that Kuderian had been able to cross some 4PLDG 11 Troop tracked Brens across the Moro.

So, I will have them start on map at T=0 slightly over the Moro down by A Coy. The wheeled vehicles of 11 Troops however will arrive a bit later on the southside and have to take the bridge.

You can issue orders to whoever you want to control the 11 Troop brens. I guess Kuderian again?

OK, names on the HQ teams! Please confirm

Bn HQ is still ol' Chappy.

2IC is now nobody as IanL has shifted to C Coy.

A Coy is Kuderian

B Coy is now Grunt_GI

C Coy is IanL

D Coy is snake_eye

Carrier platoon is Bud_B

Support Co was Grunt_GI but now deleted and is nobody.

Right?

Kuderian will be player A and enter his moves and orders first AND THEN SAVE and upload to the inner folder with save at the end of the file name.

Grunt_GI will be player B and keeps an eye for the save to arrive and loads the save, enters his moves and orders and then hits the big red button to process turn over to the axis.

But when the filename comes up he has to backspace away everything from the word save and over. We'll walk it through slow the first few times.

If we have a goof, let everybody know right away and we can stop the presses and recover from the goof, it might happen, not the end of the world.

@Kuderian and @grunt_GI....any questions?

This is gonna be cool!

Edited by kohlenklau

Dropbox folder established and invites being sent out.

NASA style Final pre-battle checklist in progress!

From lessons learned....

destroyed vehicles from before. check. not exact spots but close.

craters. check.

exit zones just in case. check!

names of commanders.

arrival times and locations.

fire support supply level.

FO's. oh crap...good I had a check-list!

but something always slips through the cracks so just pre-forgive me! :D

Thanks for remembering those carriers, and yes they go to Kuderian

Correct on all of the appointments.

Wow, I can't wait to see this multiplayer battle play out. Obviously it will take a little longer due to increased file sharing, but I think this is the way to go.  I am loving this very flexible campaign style...kudos to you Mr Koh

Hey Mark!

It is basically all ready to be used but of course we will have vehicles stagger arrival.

Way over at Hex (3,7) I now recall that Kuderian had been able to cross some 4PLDG 11 Troop tracked Brens across the Moro.

So, I will have them start on map at T=0 slightly over the Moro down by A Coy. The wheeled vehicles of 11 Troops however will arrive a bit later on the southside and have to take the bridge.

You can issue orders to whoever you want to control the 11 Troop brens. I guess Kuderian again?

OK, names on the HQ teams! Please confirm

Bn HQ is still ol' Chappy.

2IC is now nobody as IanL has shifted to C Coy.

A Coy is Kuderian

B Coy is now Grunt_GI

C Coy is IanL

D Coy is snake_eye

Carrier platoon is Bud_B

Support Co was Grunt_GI but now deleted and is nobody.

Right?

Kuderian will be player A and enter his moves and orders first AND THEN SAVE and upload to the inner folder with save at the end of the file name.

Grunt_GI will be player B and keeps an eye for the save to arrive and loads the save, enters his moves and orders and then hits the big red button to process turn over to the axis.

But when the filename comes up he has to backspace away everything from the word save and over. We'll walk it through slow the first few times.

If we have a goof, let everybody know right away and we can stop the presses and recover from the goof, it might happen, not the end of the world.

@Kuderian and @grunt_GI....any questions?

This is gonna be cool!

Um, so reading this very slowly...sorry catching up a bit...will need to read thread.

BLUF, we are having 2 players use the same PBEM file?  I think I can handle that...it sounds like I will have to manualy rename the file and send to the other team?

Yea, might need to take it slow the first couple turns.

Standing by for instructions!

I did receive and accept the shared folder.

Hi Jerry,

Yes, we will take it real slow for the first few fileswaps.

Normally you see this...

Battle Yadayada 001

Battle Yadayada 002

Battle Yadayada 003

on and on

Kuderian will hit save button and it will index the filenumber up again but he will manually enter and type in the word "save" like the below: 

Battle Yadayada 004 save

and then he hits ok and has to paste the sved file up to your allied save folder.

We have a main dropbox for the battle files and another 2 folders in there for the Allied and axis saves.

Allied Player B is you so when you see the file is there (maybe Kuderian can send an e-mail?) and download it and load the saved file in CMFI. You then do your orders and hit the red button.

Now you will get a pop-up window. SLOW DOWN AND HOLD UP A MOMENT HERE. The game again tries to index the file name by adding 001 after "save" but you will hit the backspace key to delete that away as well as the word "save".

Now it is just as it would be for normal 1 against 1. Then you hit ok and it goes on to axis players.

Battle Yadayada 004 save 001

(backspace til just what is normally there and hit ok)

Battle Yadayada 004

After a few times it all makes sense and is easy.

Note that you as player B can still download the returned file 003 for example and watch the action but just quit out of it.

Allied Fire Support Plan

2 FO's. 1 with A Coy and 1 with B Coy. No TRP's registered.

A. 4x4.2" (72rnds) off-map available at start.

B. 2x81mm (100rnds) off-map arrives T=10-20

C. 2x81mm (100rnds) on map arrives T=20-30

D. 2x81mm (100rnds) on map arrives T=30-40

E. 4x25pds (112rnds) off-map arrives T=50-60

OK, we are rolling! 

Axis has the first file to set up their attack formation.

Clock in the upper right says 1000. So all my T=10 or T=30 are added to that clock time. For example T=20 is 1020!

Standard password has been utilized.

Once on the map, take a look at ALT-L and ALT-J, then you can turn them off if you desire.

There are no specific objectives but there are just zero point unit description zones and one exit zone to the south-east. Stay away from it! Emergency use only.

If anybody sees an issue, holler right away.

Have fun and enjoy the battle.

VRI!

Questions: So the 'slugfest' battle is myself, player A in charge of A Company and grunt_GI in command of B company only?

This is a 4 player Pbem game with me doing the first save turn then posting it to save move folder where grunt_GI picks it up, adds his move and posts this with the correct file name and number.

It is important that no one's delete the previous files otherwise Player B and D will not be able to see the action move.

And no battle objectives apart from attrition, correct?

And any intel about expected enemy forces?

Hi Fred,

Everyone should adjust CMH settings to not tidy the dropbox.

Chappy said you could also control 11 Troop bren scouts and wheeled vehicle scouts. Ask him for orders I guess?

Also ask Chappy for what your objectives should be.

Battle is 1:40 with variable time after that. First half is the axis turn 2b counterattack expected and second half of the time is your allied turn 3a, attack to seize S.L. or as Chappy directs.

Other players may assume dropbox control as he directs.

Post 289 gives some intel.

Edited by kohlenklau

Thanks Philip.

I am awaiting further orders from our CO Chappy and Axis Turn 003.

Phil regarding the operational map in post 289, would it be possible in the future to use different colours for Axis & Allied units and lines. I think this would enchance map readability.