CMPzC Operation "Bloody Christmas" (Ortona '43)

Hi Phil, I am trying to change the default folder for CMH in Dropbox from our Grunt-n-Kohl folder to the San Leonardo Slugfest.

However, it is not letting me do that...I am getting the following string

Adding game: San Leonardo Slugfest

Checking if I can see the app: /Applications/CM Fortress Italy

yes

Checking folders for San Leonardo Slugfest

(no custom game file folder specified... looking to see what you have...

looking: is there's a single game file folder /Users/jerrylenaburg/Dropbox/San Leonardo Slugfest/San Leonardo Slugfest

nope...

... ok, is there's a game file folder pair?

nope.)

Ooops, individual game file folders have to be under your specified Dropbox root: /Users/jerrylenaburg/Dropbox/San Leonardo Slugfest

Can't set game file folder to /Users/jerrylenaburg/Dropbox/San Leonardo Slugfest

SO, in the San Leonardo Slugfest folder I have two folders labeled Allied Saves and Axis Saves, and a file labeled San Leonardo Slugfest 002.ema

Apologies, it has been a while since our last PBEM...I need a different file than the ema to start right?  I am waiting on Kuderian to send me the file...right...that's when I can initiate using CMH?

I did turn off the Tidy Dropbox feature.

Thanks...

I am awaiting further orders from our CO Chappy and Axis Turn 003.

Kuderian:  No change in your orders: you are to advance directly against San Leonardo. You have some 4PLDG scout carriers, etc and these are to protect your flanks/front as you advance.  On your right you can see B Coy digging in to protect the engineers building the bridge.  Behind B Coy on the other side of the Moro River, you may or may not see D Coy in the far distance, in a forced march to get to the river and cross it. They will be passing through B Coy and will join you on your right.  Behind YOU, across the river, is C Coy, the Battlegroup reserve.

Kuderian and Grunt_GI:   Brigade int has warned us of a possible German counter-attack, so be wary. Your orders do not change at this point, but if a counter-attack is mounted, I strongly encourage both of you to coordinate your efforts either in this forum or private PM. Communication is everything, and then, a good plan. You both are sharing the arty resources, unless I step in to prioritise the arty. As of now though, you are both free to divide up those indirect fire assets as you both see fit. Again...communication and coordination.

Have a good one boys....we will be watching the battle as it unfolds!!! 

Pro Patria!!!

Hey Jerry,

Try this versus changing anything...

Open CM Helper and up at top menu go to game-add game

in that new mini window, by game file, hit browse button and find your way to dropbox-San Leonardo Slugfest folder and within it the new file San Leonardo Slugfest 003 when it shows.

game type CM Fortress Italia

Ok, I think I have it..I will wait for Kuderian to put turn 003 in the Allied folder...so if I understand you right..

I will be receiving a SAVED PBEM game file that I open as a saved file, enter my orders for B COY play out, hit the go button to resolve combat, and then UPLOAD the resulting file into the Axis turn folder?

OR after I resolve the combat does the usual CMH thing kick in if I tie the game to CMH? 

Apologies, that is what is confusing me...if it's faster just to manually save and rename files in the Dropbox vice using CMH, then I can certainly do that.

Thanks...looking forward to this..just don't want to goon things up by mechanics, ya know?

I have lots of tactical deficiencies to screw things up>

;)

axis has file 002. as soon as they finish their moves it becomes 003 and uploads to dropbox.

As soon as you see the odd numbered file, go ahead and open it to WATCH only.

Watch it all you like then quit out, enter no moves, do not hit red button.

Meanwhile Fred is going to also open but gets to plot his moves.

He then saves and uploads and will notify you by e-mail perhaps or by BFC PM?

Then you knwo tro download the special named save file and open it.

NOW you can go ahead and add your orders on your troops to the file that already has his orders (on his troops of course).

Then when you are all done, you get to hit the red button but carefully backspace to alter the file name as explained above.

We all usually just hit the OK button form the save file name BUT IN THIS CASE PLEASE STOP TO FIX IT. :D

Then it goes upload like normal to the game dropbox and the axis gets it.

No worry at all. We can always talk on the phone too. PM me if you want my cell and we can always enjoy a phonecall.

ok, turn "San Leonardo Slugfest 003" is in the dropbox. kuderian has it for entering orders and then saves with the new name "San Leonardo Slugfest 004 save" and puts it in the allied save folder and then notifies grunt_GI.

Everybody else can download and watch it and then QUIT.

Ok, got Axis Turn 003.

Order received Chappy!

I am in charge of A company, recce carriers,armoured cars and one of the two FO's..

I will do my Turn 003 save and post it to save folder.

@grunt_GI can you post your email address then we can coordinate!

I have had a look at 003.ema. Since I have to wait a while, I have done a thorough recon of my future attack grounds toward San Leonardo..

I hope that the possible tanks and Pz GR  counter attack that the Intel is warning us about, will not catch my D Company on its exposed slope staging area on  the near side of the Moro. I shall be in average, 1000 meters away from the height curve masking San Leonardo and the way toward San Berardi (the announced axis ot the German counter attack)

If it does, I should still be able to rush the platoons down to the Moro, but since my intent is to have them deploy on the over side 2 up and 1 back, I might have difficulties doing it and my approach to my departure line on the other side might be disorganized.

The lonely immobilized Sherman might give me some suppressing fire if needed, but for how long ? it should not survive more than 2 to 4 rounds being fired, exposed has it is on the crest with its hulk perfectly outline on the skyline.

Just a question to our higher up ChappyCanuck, do we have some smoke rounds ?

BTW

Koh, I am very much impressed by the considerable work being done for giving us the pleasure to play this campaign. thumb up to you and ChappyCanuck

Cheer

Hi Greg,

If it were not for guys like you that want to join these parties then what would I do with all the champagne, caviar and the giant ice sculpture shaped like a Bren carrier?

So, I must say thanks for participating!

Always be optimistic, maybe the sherman will draw fire away from your men and if the tank explodes, the burning fuel will  be your smoke screen!

Edited by kohlenklau

I'm back from a wild Canada Day outing yesterday complete with craft IPA beer and martinis...a deadly concoction of poison but hey...you only live once right?

Hey snake eye, bravo on the terrain analysis, the core of any plan. Timing is always critical for any operation, all we can do is react, or better yet, force the enemy to react.  So we have already forced the enemy to react by storming the Moro...but we have yet to see what form that takes.

As for smoke, we do have smoke arty rounds but everything is reserved for the two leading companies.  However, as commander, I can decided to change that up or have them call down smoke if you arrive at a vulnerable time and need some cover. The beauty of working as a team :)

Hi Koh,

Since, few of us are participating, you don't have to worry about the champagne , the caviar and the extras, we can take care of these, since we don't know of what tomorrow will be done moving to the Moro it might be better for us to celebrate before the battle !

TBH I am more optimist about the battle than seeing an ice sculpture Bren Carrier moving into my lawn with all the goodies ! As a matter of fact we have a heat wave alert over here ! :)

Hi Chappy,

All the same, the higher up are celebrating and the poor sods are left in the rain and the mud, waiting and waiting, always waiting for the order to move forward.

More seriously, thanks for the smoke if needs arise. However it might take some time to be in effect. We are far away, in CMFI, from a thirty seconds to one minute fire for effect done nowdays.

Cheer

Edited by snake_eye

I heard on radio a serious advice made by a medical team. " Take a cold shower go to bed naked, have a light sheet spread on you and leave outside one of your leg to allow some fresh air in." They just forgot to say what should be done if a woman is laying next to you  ?  That might be quite dangerous and the degrees might surge up in the room  !

Edited by snake_eye

Ok, orders completed and file 004 is in folder.

I am now assuming that  even numbered turns are Allies and odd numbered are Axis.

For the MOMENT I am manually moving files just to give me some wiggle room to not screw things up...cutting and pasting means I leave the original file untouched, ya know?

So far so good I think.

Process question...I have a number of company level mortars....and I generally use point vice area target for artillery...is that allowed under the Campaign rules...those mortars are pretty short range so I find I get better accuracy with point vice area targeting.

Looking forward to seeing how the Canadians fight...happy to say I have a pretty good opening setup...

Edited by grunt_GI