CMPzC Operation "Bloody Christmas" (Ortona '43)

CMPzC ACHIEVEMENT TROPHIES!

This is a new feature and the below preview shows work in progress (by the one and only Juju) for CMPzC Achievement Trophies.

Achievement%20preview_zpsojt9zwpi.jpg

A table will eventually be uploaded to explain their meaning, some are obvious of course!

I will be keeping an eye to award them as they occur or by the end screen results.

They go to the team as well as the PBEM commander fighting the battle. 

Thanks Stonecutter for borrowing my Jeep. The way things are going, I can already figure that it is going to end up as a heap of twisted metal. 

I figure that I 'll be better walking down toward the Moro, than riding in it with the tanks training their 75 on it. Good luck !

D Company CO

Lieutenant Larouche took a few moments to calm himself by taking a few deep breaths. The loss of the company commander was a shock but he knew he had to display an air of confidence to the men if they were to maintain cohesion. He listened intently to the sharp barks of the Mk IV's main guns repeatedly engaging the immobilized Sherman and contemplated how best to protect the critical bridgehead that had been established. With no tanks, no anti-tank weapons and no gun tractor to tow the damaged 6-pounder into place, the options for dealing with the approaching panzers were extremely limited. Discerning the sound of a jeep near the crossing site, he peeked through his binoculars and espied 2IC Delta Company, Captain Harris. Grabbing the radio again and changing to D Coy's frequency, he pressed the switch.

"Four bravo, this is two, over"

"Four bravo, send over."

"We need your zulu vehicle to move that asset to your front, it's a little heavy to push where we want it, over."

"Two, I see your ass-et and it does look quite heavy. Maybe you should lay off the pasta and it wouldn't be so tough to move. I'll drop by and see what I can do, four bravo out."

Larouche  chuckled as he switched back to his own frequency and yelled out orders to 4th platoon.

"Dolan, we're getting a jeep to move that 6-pounder, courtesy of Captain Harris and Delta company. We're going to set it up somewhere along that stone wall near the road. Split up your section and find the best spot so that it can cover those panzers coming in from our east." 

Dolan took a few moments to split the squad and issue orders. Larouche watched as the section moved forward and winced when another heavy German artillery round landed near Dolan. As the dust cleared, he breathed a sigh of relief as he saw Dolan wave back at him, laughing - that Irish luck had held yet again and Larouche sincerely hoped it would keep on holding. Running to the edge of the woods, he got hold of Quinn and ordered him and the rest of his platoon back to the woods. There was no point leaving them out in the open and he would need a reserve if they were going to hold the crossroads. A few moments later, he greeted Captain Harris and thanked him for the loan of the jeep. To Larouche's surprise, Harris happily parted with his jeep and added,

"I tell you what Larouche. We've got a spare PIAT in one of our brens and I think it might do a wee bit more good here. The only caveat is that you'll have to send someone to pick it up - we don't provide PIATza delivery!" he laughed. 

Groaning at the pun, Larouche finished bringing Harris up to date on the tactical situation in the area and laid out his defensive plan, including the elements of the PLDG that were in their location. "If you can keep those armoured cars on the west side of the woods, they can engage the enemy infantry that is trying to come at us from the north without exposing themselves to those Mk IV's."

"I don't think I'll have any problem convincing those recce guys to keep out of the way of those 75 AP rounds after what just happened to that Sherman on the rise behind us. Let's just hope the rest of Trois Rivieres gets here soon or we'll have to handle this party all by ourselves! "

Giving Larouche a reassuring pat on the shoulder, Harris jogged off to sort out the PLDG cars while Larouche continued to get B company into position and set up to defend the crossroads.

Jeep%20Pick%20Up.jpg

Captain Harris and his team screech to a halt by the 6-pounder to loan them his jeep. 

Dolan%20gets%20Lucky.jpg

Dolan's luck holds as he nearly buys it when a  German round explodes right by where he was headed. 

Checking%20LOS%20for%20ATG.jpg.

Dolan checks out the damaged wall while also looking east to see if he can spot the panzers.

B%20Coy%20Defence.jpg

B Coy setting up with PLDG armoured cars hiding from the enemy panzers/using the woods as cover. 

Edited by Stonecutter

Dolan's luck didn't :)

Actually, Dolan's luck did hold, it was the rifleman beside him that got smoked by that stray 75mm HE round! Somehow, I don't think anyone else in the platoon is going to be leaping at the opportunity to stand next to Dolan - too much like wearing a red shirt on an away mission. :D   

I'm glad to see that 2nd ATG show up!  The good news is that his counter-attack is coming in slow; his infantry cannot support his tanks unless he goes slow. The longer he takes the better - our Shermans will arrive at some point (hopefully soon) and take care of that panzer platoon

Crouching behind some trees with his men in the copse by the crossroads, Larouche watched the approaching panzers with some trepidation. To his front, what remained of the crews for the two six pounders worked furiously to get their guns deployed in time behind the low stone wall. Time, thought Larouche, it is all about time. If we had moved the ATGs only a few minutes earlier they would be engaging right now and my men would be safe. He laughed to himself at this last thought. He had seen too many good men die as he and the rest of the division fought their way up the Italian boot to think that there was any safety in war, there was merely a reprieve from death and destruction. Almost to punctuate this thought, a large enemy shell chose that instant to hit the corner of the woods, obliterating the mortar crew that had just set up there. Simultaneously, rounds from the panzers started coming in as they spotted and engaged the ATGs. One scored a direct hit, shredding the remaining crew into a gory mess over the mangled metal while another round strayed off path and caught the corner of the house near Dolan. The moment was frozen in Larouche's mind in frame by frame clarity. He could see the 75mm's path through the air, the HE round striking the corner of the house, the spread of lethal fragments and the shock wave and shrapnel striking the ground around Dolan and one of the new replacements for the platoon. With painful slowness, he remained fixated upon Dolan dragging his wounded comrade into the woods.

"Sir, those panzers are shredding us, we've got to get some cover."

On the edge of his consciousness, Larouche could hear the words and wondered who was speaking. He he felt himself being dragged down to the ground as another round burst by the wall, it's fragments passing through the air where he had been just moments before.

"Sir, snap out of it! We've got to do something or we are all going to be chewed up like filling for a tortiere!"

The sight of Dolan's face brought Larouche back into reality with a sharp jolt.

"Your right, Dolan, thanks." Larouche spoke softly as he and Dolan shared a moment of understanding that only those who have been to war can truly appreciate.

"Mortars, smoke that hostie de gap by the crossroads so the 6 pounder can get set up. Quinn, pull your men out of the buildings, they're death traps. Get behind them and take cover in the ditch by the road."

Larouche peered toward the rolling metal monsters coming from the east and breathed more steadily as he heard the steady firing of the remaining two-inch mortar crews. As the smoke rounds landed and obscured the gap, it bought the ATG crew precious seconds without suppressing fire that allowed them to finish laying the gun trails and align the business end of their weapon toward the enemy vehicles. The rattling fire of a couple bren guns and rifle shots bounced off the turret of the nearest Mk IV over 400 metres away as Quinn's men tried to take out the crew commander before moving into cover. Focusing his binos on the dust behind the panzers, Larouche caught site of a few grenadiers rising and dashing forward as they tried to keep pace. Grabbing the radio, he quickly switched to the battalion net and depressed the switch.

"Golf three-four, this is two, fire mission over."

"Golf three-four, fire mission, over."

"Two, fire mission. Grid six-one-five, eight-seven-three, radius one hundred, harass for fifteen, over."

"Golf three-four, fire mission. Grid six-one-five, eight-seven-three, radius one hundred, harass for fifteen, over."

"Two, this is Golf three-four, fire mission in figures six. I have the target under observation, over."

"Two, acknowledged, out!"

"Niner, this is two, over."

"Niner, send over."

"Two, five enemy panzers and unknown infantry moving toward crossroads from approximately five hundred metres to the east. Enemy have the crossroads zeroed in with heavy artillery, suspect 150mm. Advise all stations to remain clear of crossroads as area is under continuous observation and fire. Niner, we need those Tango call signs immediately!"

"Niner, acknowledged. Tango call signs are enroute, ETA figures ten. I'll encourage them to hurry, out." 

Larouche returned the mike to his radio operator and carefully slid forward toward a shell scrape at the edge of the woods. He certainly wouldn't want to be the tankers on the receiving end of Colonel Chappy's "encouragement" as it would undoubtedly involve a stream of his legendary, linguistic lashings. So long as it prodded those zipperheads along a little more quickly, he didn't care. He knew the Colonel understood how precarious his position was and how critical the bridgehead would be to the entire Ortona operation. The Colonel would do whatever it took to get the tankers here sooner and now he turned to see what he could do to buy time so that their arrival could be put to good use. Time, again, Larouche thought, I need to buy more time.  

Exposed%20ATG.jpg

The remaining 6 pounder crew cringes in fear under the fire of the approaching panzers. Only a few metres away, the remains of their compatriots are only too clearly visible in the heap of scrap metal.

2%20inch%20mortar.jpg

A mortar crew quickly drops smoke into the gap in response to Larouche's orders.

Smoke%20in%20place.jpg

The combined efforts of the mortars screen off the gap, buying time for the ATG to finish setting up. When the smoke clears, the mortar crews hope that the ATG can keep the panzers at bay as they are only too aware of how vulnerable they are without any tanks of their own in support.

Edited by Stonecutter