CMPzC Operation "Bloody Christmas" (Ortona '43)

You all are invited to come up with 2 or 3.

Maybe an armor officer or tanker sergeant with a backstory.

An infantry officer.

Some sergeant....

rank, name, unit, an image if you can scrounge one up and a sentence or 2 of backstory.

I can whip up the little unit thing for PzC.

I have some RCRs who definitely apply...for example, Lt Sterlin (RCR)  and his platoon defended a farmstead from attack by about a company of Germans with a tank...forever known as "Sterlin's Castle" which I visited and took this picture with plaque and the second pic is the "Castle": (BTW, on our map, Sterlin's Castle was roughly located at Hex 2,2 in case you are interested)

CIMG2436_zpsensxzteg.jpg

CIMG2437_zpshp6j55nx.jpg

As the plaque reads, Lt Sterlin and his platoon were wiped out at Cider Crossroads nine days later

Pro Patria

Edited by ChappyCanuck

Well, I would come up with a backstory for the B Coy commander, but I guess that would be pointless now, huh?

:D

Anyway, just finished Turn 15...good luck to D Coy...

Interested to see how this turns out?

I can still watch turns right, just Quit when I'm done?

"Tabernac!" Lieutenant Larouche cursed loudly as he watched two heavy rounds land near the central crossroads, killing the OC and FOO. Despite the frantic efforts of some of Montplaisir's soldiers to stop them, a bren carrier and passengers went racing north and were ambushed by German infantry. Quickly looking around at the ensuing chaos, he immediately pressed the mike on his radio,

"All stations 2, this is 2-1, Sunray is down, I repeat Sunray is down, I am taking over. We will re-org near the crossroads. 2-1, take up a position near your current locale facing northeast along the hedges. 2-2, come back about 100 meters and orient facing north. 2-1 will establish a position in the woods facing north."

Quickly issuing orders for a hasty withdrawal and defensive set up for his own platoon in the nearby woods, Larouche sent a runner to the 6-pounder crew with instructions to get them moving to a position north of the woods where they could orient east facing the approaching panzers. With the immobilized Sherman already engaging the enemy tanks, the ATG might just be able to get in a few flanking shots if it could be moved to the stone wall. At the same time, his own platoon would provide covering fire against any enemy infantry that tried to approach. Finally, surveying the situation again, he turned to his radio operator and had him change over the Battalion frequency.

"Niner, this is 2-1, Sunray is down, I repeat, Sunray is down. I have taken over. Enemy panzers in platoon plus, possible company strength, observed roughly 400 meters north and 900 meters east of crossroads, moving west. Enemy infantry of unknown strength 400 meters north of crossroads. Suspected enemy SP gun 1500 meters NNE of crossroads. All stations 2 currently reorienting to face enemy advance. Request immediate transport for anti-tank assets as current location is untenable, over!"

Returning the mike to his radio operator, Larouche set about getting his own platoon settled while keeping a close eye on 5 and 6 platoons to monitor their progress. He could only hope that CO Chappy could squeeze some more support out the division or at least get some of those Trois Rivieres tanks sprung loose. With one damaged ATG and no PIATS, he knew his men and the rest of B Coy would pay a heavy price trying to even slow down the panzers and stopping them seemed out of the question. He knew help was supposed to be on its way but, as always, the key question was whether or not it would arrive in time.

Edited by Stonecutter

Well, I would come up with a backstory for the B Coy commander, but I guess that would be pointless now, huh?

:D

Anyway, just finished Turn 15...good luck to D Coy...

Interested to see how this turns out?

I can still watch turns right, just Quit when I'm done?

Well Thanks Grunt_GI, I hope I won't end up in the first casualties when  D Company time comes.

@Stonecutter

Welcome aboard, if I might say so. You are getting in a wild spot. I hope that you will be able to bring to a stop the German counter attack or at least keep their head down.

Cheer

Edited by snake_eye

How about this new carrot and stick idea?

Where as I have indeed made AAR as non-mandatory, I am thinking how to show preference to PBEM foot soldiers who do post screenshots with an interesting narrative.

This could be head of the line treatment for future battles or perhaps a special addition or interesting wrinkle in their next battle.

haven't heard that phrase since i had to deal with some french canadien truck drivers years ago. could you elaborate on what that means for the uniformed? :D

As IanL has pointed out, a lot of Quebecois (or Acadian - French speaking folks from Eastern Canada) use words related to the church for swearing. A few of the more common ones are: "Tabernac" is tabernacle(the box/vessel for storing the eucharist), calice (aka calisse) is chalice (into which goes the sacramental wine), hostie is the host, ciboire is the cup that holds the hosts and calvaire is cross. There are numerous idioms, permutations and combinations of these words that are used and while it may seem an odd way to swear for English speakers, the English obsession with sex for cursing is equally odd for Francophones.

As IanL has pointed out, a lot of Quebecois (or Acadian - French speaking folks from Eastern Canada) use words related to the church for swearing. A few of the more common ones are: "Tabernac" is tabernacle(the box/vessel for storing the eucharist), calice (aka calisse) is chalice (into which goes the sacramental wine), hostie is the host, ciboire is the cup that holds the hosts and calvaire is cross. There are numerous idioms, permutations and combinations of these words that are used and while it may seem an odd way to swear for English speakers, the English obsession with sex for cursing is equally odd for Francophones.

A very good explanation Frank, but what body waste swearing?  lol

PS  Grab an avatar will ya?

Ahem, so everyone knows, Frank (Stonecutter) and I are buddies from a long way back...we met in Military College and we also cycled our bicycles across Canada in 2004. Yup, certified weirdos

FLASH MOD!

2 muddy mainland Shermans....for your CMFI Z folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0pwnrw5vbjhu4x4/AACJAZcrilRI6gWJ8vl-XgMAa?dl=0

"ALMA" is I believe the name of Stonecutter's tank from his active days with the Canadian Armoured Forces...<I apologize and will let him correct me if I am wrong>.

ALMA_zpsc7g1hkww.jpg

"APACHE" is an actual wartime Italian-theater Sherman as depicted in this Canadian war art...

APACHE_zpstcb3lhwc.jpg

Yes, Alma was the name of my tank when I was a young officer serving in Germany with the Royal Canadian Armour Corps. Alma is a small town in New Brunswick, Canada. All the tanks in my squadron were named after towns beginning with "A" since we were A Squadron. Pretty Canadian, eh? :D