Ost Front Books

On 2017-07-11 at 1:55 PM, Aragorn2002 said:

Fizou, somehow I can't read your whole post. Which book is it?

It was a facebook link, maybe that screwed it up. The book is called Panzer Krieg (volume 1) German armoured operations at Stalingrad. Covers the 103rd, 129th and 160th Panzer battalions.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Guys,

Amazon is trying to sell me this. It's got a five star rating based on 14 reviews, The first glowing review is from R. A Forczyk whom many of you know about. The book is one of only a handful of memoirs from the German side penned by those who survived capture and Soviet captivity. Has some 160 photos, too. I do not own this book and have never seen it, but it looked like a must include in this list.

AN ARTILLERYMAN IN STALINGRAD - Memoirs of a Participant in the Battle. Hardcover – July 20, 2007

by Dr Wigand Wüster (Author), Mark Jason D (Author)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0975107658?ref_=pe_2802110_251609740_em_1p_0_ti&redirect=true&pldnSite=1

PANZER KRIEG looks like something I'd happily devour, for I prefer the nits and the grits over that "X corps advanced on an axis of A, B. C" operational stuff which doesn't provide much in the way of specifics. Recall reading an account from Kursk in what started as a company grew to a division sized battle to take a fortified town. Couldn't for the life of me figure why something so minor rated such all-out effort. Turns out it was the only railroad station on that side of the battlefield and only one a few in the Kursk salient. But to understand that required me to do some online digging to cover something easily addressed in the text.

Regards,

John Kettler

• 3 months later...
12 hours ago, BletchleyGeek said:

The perks of living in the same continent the books are made :)

Just clicked into the Leaping Horseman site. Apparently there was a misprinting for the US edition and they, get this, had to turn the boat around. They're fixing them, and that's great. They're a top-notch outfit. (If you haven't bought/read one of their books, you should.) But...a BOAT!?!?! I expect my book to be air-mailed! And then droned over to my house, flown in through my window, and gently placed on the side-table next to my cut crystal glass and decanter of scotch.

A boat.

I am flabbergasted.

;)

1 minute ago, c3k said:

Just clicked into the Leaping Horseman site. Apparently there was a misprinting for the US edition and they, get this, had to turn the boat around. They're fixing them, and that's great. They're a top-notch outfit. (If you haven't bought/read one of their books, you should.) But...a BOAT!?!?! I expect my book to be air-mailed! And then droned over to my house, flown in through my window, and gently placed on the side-table next to my cut crystal glass and decanter of scotch.

A boat.

I am flabbergasted.

;)

Australia Post is quite awesome Ken, so don't fret. They even do drones :D

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/nov/14/australian-posts-new-delivery-robot-an-esky-on-wheels-says-expert

that one I am afraid is not going to be a winner design... most definitely nobody will want their stuff to be delivered at the same pace Opportunity strolls over the surface of Mars taking pictures of rocks.

Mark's books contain priceless information and are a class on their own. Only one in ten books about ww 2 are worth reading, since many only repeat the same old, unresearched rubbish, with some 'brilliant' and 'new' conclusions from authors too lazy to really dig for information and really try to throw some new light on what happened. Mark seems to have the gift of always finding new treasure troves and his books are simply worth their weight in gold. Which is exactly what he asks for them. The shipment costs alone are already beyond belief. But personally I am prepared to pay his prices, to make sure he can continue to publish these unique and excellent books. Each of them is better than everything that has been published on Stalingrad since ww 2 put together.

Edited by Aragorn2002

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:12 AM, Aragorn2002 said:

Guess what I found under the Christmas tree today...;)

Gorgeous book.

Mine showed up (stateside) in the mail about 3 days ago. In a show of great internal fortitude, it is still in its shipping cardboard. I slipped it under the tree and I'll just say it was a gift from Santa. Stunned it arrived so soon, what with the re-print/returned shipment issue.

Now, I'll need to get rid of all those pesky family members and relatives once I open it. Can't be interrupted, can I? ;)

• 2 months later...

I'd like to recommend  "Supplying war: logistics from Wallenstein to Patton"    Chapter 5. Russian Roulette    

https://www.amazon.com/Martin-van-Creveld-Supplying-Wallenstein/dp/B001E3CSX4

it talks about logistics, so maybe it is much more fit when you play an operational/strategic wargame like TOAW or WITE, but it is a good read.

• 4 months later...

The quality of the edition is that of a typewritten fanzine. I found too that the content has been mostly superseded by more recent work, at coarser timescales. The maps are imprecise sometimes - necessarily I think - but overall a useful resource if you want to visualize the campaign for the city itself on a daily basis.

I got the two first volumes, didn't get the other two because of the somewhat lukewarm sensation I got after going through them.

Edited by BletchleyGeek

54 minutes ago, BletchleyGeek said:

The quality of the edition is that of a typewritten fanzine. I found too that the content has been mostly superseded by more recent work, at coarser timescales. The maps are imprecise sometimes - necessarily I think - but overall a useful resource if you want to visualize the campaign for the city itself on a daily basis.

I got the two first volumes, didn't get the other two because of the somewhat lukewarm sensation I got after going through them.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

The Black Cross / Red Star series is getting a reprint (vol 1-3). And this summer the 5th vol will be released. 

https://vaktelforlag.se/produkt/black-cross-red-star-air-war-eastern-front-volume-1-operation-barbarossa/ 

"Please ask anyone interested in the Black Cross/Red Star series to just send me a short e-mail with the header ”Want info on Black Cross/Red Star”. The e-mail should be sent to me at vaktelforlag@gmail.com"

http://www.bergstrombooks.elknet.pl/bc-rs/

13 hours ago, BletchleyGeek said:

Ah, cheers @Fizou for the heads up, but it seems that they don't ship outside of Sweden... when filling in the shipping form I couldn't change the country to something useful :(

Sorry about that link @BletchleyGeek, I didn't see that shipping was restricted to Sweden from that page.

I'd really recommend you send him an email as per the description below and I'm sure he'll get back to you in a couple of days and explain how international orders are handled.      

"Please ask anyone interested in the Black Cross/Red Star series to just send me a short e-mail with the header ”Want info on Black Cross/Red Star”. The e-mail should be sent to me at vaktelforlag@gmail.com"

Edited by Fizou