Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you in the mood for an audiobook/ podcast series, I thoroughly enjoyed Dan Carlins 'Ghosts of the Ostfront" He is an incredibly vivid storyteller. http://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-histor

Depends on what you're looking for; if you want a very detailed treatment of the battle of Smolensk, with lots of extracts from Soviet orders and reports, then by all means read the book.  If you want

Glantz's Stalingrad series is very dense, but not as boring as Barbarossa Derailed, because generally it consists of narrative history, rather than cut-and-paste from Soviet orders/reports like Derail

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Sublime said:

When i found out the 1:1 soldier modelling for x2... thats the single greatest change of the game series IMO...

I agree. When it was originally announced that the next series of games were going to use 1:1 I was skeptical, but once I saw how it played out I was totally won over.

Michael

Link to post
Share on other sites

76mm Soviet or German Id like recommendations on both. I dont read a book and make up my mind about history for me to truly have a real opinion on an event I have to read a few books from both sides and form my own opinion.

This doesnt apply in this situation Im well past that point this is just leisure reading.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Raptorx7

Bidermann;'s In Deadly Combat is, in my opinion and of many others, not merely a truly outstanding book but one of the best war accounts by any infantryman. Ever. Bidermann was in Barbarossa and fought to the bitter end in the Courland Pocket--then went into Russian captivity for years. This book is so well and movingly written you can practically taste the fear and smell the corpses. Have never encountered its like.

LukeFF,

Von Hardesty's Red Phoenix was a must read regarding the Russian side of the air war in the East. A brilliant groundbreaking book (completely shattered my perceptions of the air war in the East) by the Curator of the Aeronautics Division at the Smithsonian Institution National Air and Space Museum, it has now been supplanted by the new and greatly improved Red Phoenix Rising, which I've unfortunately yet to read. Von Hardesty's coauthor on the second book, Grinberg, is a professor in the Department of Technology at the State University of New York College at Buffalo. This book takes full advantage of a network of Russian GPW aviation researchers and historians. Here's a review of the latter book.

https://kuecprd.ku.edu/~upress/cgi-bin/978-0-7006-1828-6.html

Regards,

John Kettler

 

Edited by John Kettler
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/07/2016 at 3:20 PM, Bootie said:

Here is a review I did of a book to avoid!!

 

Great review. Had exactly your experience when reading this book. Frankly Sven Hassel books were better as they contained some humour - this didn't even have that.

Makes me sad as just maybe there was a real story to be told. Albrecht Wacker wasn't the one to tell it though. This book was pricey as well in hardback. If I wanted Hassel or Charles Whiting in Kessler mode I could have bought their whole output on E-Bay for less.

 

Edited by niall78
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

From another thread... 


http://www.rzm.com/books/ab/ab5252.cfm

The Largest Tank Battle in History
KURSK:
The Battle of Prokhorovka

big book.JPG

                                                                             :D

Edited by Blazing 88's
Link to post
Share on other sites
On August 24, 2016 at 7:41 PM, Blazing 88's said:

From another thread... 


http://www.rzm.com/books/ab/ab5252.cfm

The Largest Tank Battle in History
KURSK:
The Battle of Prokhorovka

big book.JPG

                                                                             :D

This. Not only is it an epic sized book, but the author does a great job of adding sidenotes throughout. I'm only a few hundred pages in, so that's just an introduction to it. ;) I also recommend having several bottles of your favorite nearby while settling in to read it. The book is heavy. I have my intern hold it in front of me while I read. Others may need to use 2x4s laid over their armrests to keep from injuring themselves.

 

On August 24, 2016 at 9:10 PM, kohlenklau said:

Jason Mark's: Besieged The Epic Battle of Cholm

https://www.amazon.com/Besieged-Battle-Jason-D-Mark/dp/0975107690

Cholm was a great read about a battle I'd only heard of in passing. Any of the Leaping Horseman books are a must-buy in my opinion. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Blazing 88's,

The very incarnations of a tome!  Let's hope that for the outlay and stupendous price the author got the story right. I'll be happy to borrow it (only half joking and am very trustworthy--am a Trustee, in fact) when you're done, since that's about the only way I think I'm likely to get to read it. The RZM catalogue is the stuff of madness. But in case your Kursk lust isn't sated by your current table breaker and shoulder dislocator, you can have the expanded Soviet General Staff Study from insanity inducing Fedorowicz for a mere $100. Meanwhile, we'll be expecting a detailed book report. Should run about 100 pages!

Regards,

John Kettler

P.S.

Whatever you do, don't spill wine on the book!

P.P.S.

Since my post-TBI cognitive issues are well known, and therefore a red flag against doing what I said, know my work is very part time and typically has long deadlines. If you search under "john kettler, trustee" you'll see I'm not making up being a Trustee.

 

Edited by John Kettler
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25-1-2016 at 0:13 PM, Fizou said:

Anyone that read "Objective Ponyri! The Defeat of XXXXI. Panzerkorps at Ponyri Train Station" by Martin Nevshemal? Would you recommend? I'm looking order as everything from Leaping Horseman Books looks to be golden. I was super pleased by Death of the Leaping Horseman and Into Oblivion Kharkov to Stalingrad.  

I've bought it, but haven't read it yet. As can be expected from this publisher it is superb. Great info, excellent maps. Pricy but worth it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

I've bought it, but haven't read it yet. As can be expected from this publisher it is superb. Great info, excellent maps. Pricy but worth it.

I bought it too, great book. Im waiting for Iron Cross Brigade from LHB as well (there is still a pre publication offer), "Stalingrad, Kursk and Bobruisk are names synonymous with untold suffering and death, and the men of Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung 244 fought at each of them."  Looking forward to it.

Im also wondering if anyone has read Christer Bergströms new book Operation Barbarossa 1941: Hitler against Stalin?

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Fizou said:

I bought it too, great book. Im waiting for Iron Cross Brigade from LHB as well (there is still a pre publication offer), "Stalingrad, Kursk and Bobruisk are names synonymous with untold suffering and death, and the men of Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung 244 fought at each of them."  Looking forward to it.

 

Just got my copy - it's well worth the wait :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/08/2016 at 6:24 AM, Fizou said:

Im also wondering if anyone has read Christer Bergströms new book Operation Barbarossa 1941: Hitler against Stalin?

I saw the reviews on Amazon and I got the feeling that it would be as much of a mixed bag as his book on the Ardennes was. Also, that typographical errors are reported for a hardcover edition isn't precisely awesome (given that I got a fair bit of those on the Kindle version of the Ardennes book).

Regarding Leaping Horseman Books, I am looking with merry eyes this one

http://www.leapinghorseman.com/proddetail.php?prod=9780992274917

does anybody have it? Is it as good as it seems?

Looking forward to the pair of books by C. J. Dick "From Victory to Stalemate" & "From Defeat to Victory", as well. Glantz's Battle for Byelorrusia also looks quite good.

Edited by BletchleyGeek
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2016-08-28 at 2:23 AM, John Kettler said:

Blazing 88's,

The very incarnations of a tome!  Let's hope that for the outlay and stupendous price the author got the story right. I'll be happy to borrow it (only half joking and am very trustworthy--am a Trustee, in fact) when you're done, since that's about the only way I think I'm likely to get to read it. The RZM catalogue is the stuff of madness. But in case your Kursk lust isn't sated by your current table breaker and shoulder dislocator, you can have the expanded Soviet General Staff Study from insanity inducing Fedorowicz for a mere $100. Meanwhile, we'll be expecting a detailed book report. Should run about 100 pages!

Regards,

John Kettler

P.S.

Whatever you do, don't spill wine on the book!

P.P.S.

Since my post-TBI cognitive issues are well known, and therefore a red flag against doing what I said, know my work is very part time and typically has long deadlines. If you search under "john kettler, trustee" you'll see I'm not making up being a Trustee.

 

6

Sorry JK, I have not bought the book yet...  Just drooling over it.  I see Amazon.ca $370 Canadian... That ain't happening.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BletchleyGeek said:

Regarding Leaping Horseman Books, I am looking with merry eyes this one

http://www.leapinghorseman.com/proddetail.php?prod=9780992274917

does anybody have it? Is it as good as it seems?

I own it. Great book, and a must buy if you ask me. 

7 hours ago, BletchleyGeek said:

I saw the reviews on Amazon and I got the feeling that it would be as much of a mixed bag as his book on the Ardennes was. Also, that typographical errors are reported for a hardcover edition isn't precisely awesome (given that I got a fair bit of those on the Kindle version of the Ardennes book).

To bad to hear that. I was quite excitet to find a good, detailed ww2 author from Sweden. I'll read the Barbarossa book and see if its quite as bad with the typos in Swedish. 

7 hours ago, BletchleyGeek said:

Looking forward to the pair of books by C. J. Dick "From Victory to Stalemate" & "From Defeat to Victory", as well. Glantz's Battle for Byelorrusia also looks quite good.

Interesting, will have to check them out as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fizou said:

I own it. Great book, and a must buy if you ask me. 

Hmmm Hmmmm Hmmmm

Quote

To bad to hear that. I was quite excitet to find a good, detailed ww2 author from Sweden. I'll read the Barbarossa book and see if its quite as bad with the typos in Swedish. 

Interesting, will have to check them out as well. 

I think it is an issue with his English editor - I had a very nice exchange with a very nice (also Swedish) guy on the CMFB forums about his Bulge book. His books covering the air war on the Eastern Front are classics - @LukeFF mentioned them on this very same thread.

Edited by BletchleyGeek
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Blazing 88's,

Sure looked like a home and not any bookstore I've ever been in. Know of none where you can drink wine. Does a friend have a copy? Did you find some pic online posted by a happy owner? Clearly I'm missing something here. 

Regards,

John Kettler

 
 
 
 

The pic is from that "Kursk Anyone?" thread that I included in that re-post of the picture.  Baneman posted the pic.  Now is it his pic of his book?  I do not know.

Edited by Blazing 88's
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, BletchleyGeek said:

I think it is an issue with his English editor - I had a very nice exchange with a very nice (also Swedish) guy on the CMFB forums about his Bulge book. His books covering the air war on the Eastern Front are classics - @LukeFF mentioned them on this very same thread.

Thanks for the tip BG. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...