Combat Mission Movie: The Battle For The Bridge at Arnhem

Black and white, subtitles, Wagnerian soundtrack: Big thumbs up.

Shakey camera motion-sickness inducing, at the very end "A Bridge To Far" should be "A Bridge Too Far": thumbs sideways/slightly downward.   :D

Thanks Paul!

The first version said 'A Bridge Too Fart' so I got off lightly with my spelling :P

Holst's Mars isn't it?

Yes. So it is. oddly enough I usually don't like music in a war movie but seeing how powerful it can be in rousing a response in the viewer and engaging them with the story, even in something as low key as this little movie, I can really understand why they do it. I'm not sure what it is I object to in war movies with music. I think maybe it seems like the equivalent of canned laughter in a comedy if that makes sense?

For those of you who don't ordinarily hit the "Mods and Scenarios" area of the forums, Paul posted

up another gem; "Here Come The Tigers".   http://community.battlefront.com/topic/118214-combat-mission-movie-here-come-the-tigers/

I highly suggest hittin' the "watch it on YouTube" link.

I'm about to dive into the Market Garden one now. :)

Paul, if you've not done it yet, I agree with Vin that you ought to post the links to these two films in the "CM Theater" thread.

And again, my thanks for working these up. They're first rate and VERY enjoyable to watch!

Best regards, Odd

I really enjoyed this. It is one of the best Combat Mission movies I've seen. I think that Darling Dickie would have loved Combat Mission, no irritating Hollywood agents to deal with.

Ahhh... Darling Dickie! I like to think he would have had a word with his friend Sir John Mills, to play a cameo roll in it.  :D

Watching that I'm wincing as he hasn't split his teams..could be asking for a bog casualty list if ambushed. I never used to split teams and now it's one of the first things I do.

I knew it was a mistake not to read the manual.  :D Usually it's the german who split my teams... with gunfire :(

For those of you who don't ordinarily hit the "Mods and Scenarios" area of the forums, Paul posted

up another gem; "Here Come The Tigers".   http://community.battlefront.com/topic/118214-combat-mission-movie-here-come-the-tigers/

I highly suggest hittin' the "watch it on YouTube" link.

I'm about to dive into the Market Garden one now. :)

Paul, if you've not done it yet, I agree with Vin that you ought to post the links to these two films in the "CM Theater" thread.

And again, my thanks for working these up. They're first rate and VERY enjoyable to watch!

Best regards, Odd

I'm having a look at doing it now mate :D

Yes. So it is. oddly enough I usually don't like music in a war movie but seeing how powerful it can be in rousing a response in the viewer and engaging them with the story, even in something as low key as this little movie, I can really understand why they do it. I'm not sure what it is I object to in war movies with music. I think maybe it seems like the equivalent of canned laughter in a comedy if that makes sense?

Yes, use of non-diegetic music in filmmaking is actually a bit controversial to me (no, really). In fact, it was hardly used in early talkies because filmmakers assumed (incorrectly) that an audience wouldn't accept music in a film if they couldn't see where it was coming from. That's partly why there were so many songs in films of that era that you wouldn't expect to have songs in (early Marx Brothers, for example) .

I suppose it comes down to what you're trying to achieve. In a way, providing non-diegetic music to a battle scene is, sort of, selling a lie because when a soldier was surrounded by death and destruction he didn't usually hear a 40-piece orchestra while he was witnessing it. He just saw what he saw. Adding music adds all sorts of feelings or emotions that may not actually be there (or perhaps amplifies those that are). But then again, it is now readily accepted as a part of filmmaking so we're just used to it. Like I say, depends what you're trying to achieve: realism or heightened drama.

Although in this case you have made rather a good movie (and kept the camera a ground level - funny how many of these films try to look like newsreel with cameras ten-foot off the ground) out of what is, at the end of the day, a computer game. So as it's unlikely to feature any Oscar-winning acting performances, I'd say use of music to add to the drama is pretty legitimate and, dare I say, quite cool.

This is a film forum, right? IMDB? Oh... ;)