Combat Mission Movie: The Battle For The Bridge at Arnhem

Yes, use of non-diegetic music in filmmaking is actually a bit controversial to me (no, really). In fact, it was hardly used in early talkies because filmmakers assumed (incorrectly) that an audience wouldn't accept music in a film if they couldn't see where it was coming from. That's partly why there were so many songs in films of that era that you wouldn't expect to have songs in (early Marx Brothers, for example) .

I suppose it comes down to what you're trying to achieve. In a way, providing non-diegetic music to a battle scene is, sort of, selling a lie because when a soldier was surrounded by death and destruction he didn't usually hear a 40-piece orchestra while he was witnessing it. He just saw what he saw. Adding music adds all sorts of feelings or emotions that may not actually be there (or perhaps amplifies those that are). But then again, it is now readily accepted as a part of filmmaking so we're just used to it. Like I say, depends what you're trying to achieve: realism or heightened drama.

Although in this case you have made rather a good movie (and kept the camera a ground level - funny how many of these films try to look like newsreel with cameras ten-foot off the ground) out of what is, at the end of the day, a computer game. So as it's unlikely to feature any Oscar-winning acting performances, I'd say use of music to add to the drama is pretty legitimate and, dare I say, quite cool.

This is a film forum, right? IMDB? Oh... ;)

That's hilarious... the idea of people sitting there wondering 'where's that sound coming from? How the world has changed. Now we don't think anything of people walking down the street talking to themselves whereas when I was younger it was a sign of madness, nowadays it's called bluetooth... I think.  :huh:.  Although that's nothing new either... it's just that it doesn't require a filling these days.

Life...

It's very entertaining.  :)