LOS From Mast-Mounted Sensors/Unbuttoned Crew

Alan8325

In CMSF there was an issue with mast-mounted sensors not providing any advantage in hull-down positions due to an engine limitation with LOS needing to come from the center of a vehicle or something like that. I remember it being described as a hard problem to fix. I think it is probably worth the effort in the modern theater though. Can anyone verify whether this will or will not be fixed by initial release?

Not necessarily a tall mast. The LRAS on top of a Humvee should be able to see over a hill without exposing the vehicle. ATGM vehicles usually have sensors higher up as well. It will be rough using the AT-5 launcher on top of a BMP or BRDM if the vehicle must expose itself enough to let LOS be drawn from the vehicle center. Still looking forward to the game if this can't be fixed though. :)

A good example of this is the Humvee in Screenshot #10. I really hope that they have addressed this issue, as it did come up in CM:SF on quite a few occasions.

This is really important for a vehicle like the unarmored Humvee shown, to stay hull-down and only expose its sensor.

Krizantema has ATGM sight and radar slightly raised from the vehicle. Id like to see this on that vehicle especially as it can acquire and fire highly effectively with the vehicle out of sight and the firing post and radar raised.

As can Kornet launcher on Gaz Tigr, but I dont know if Kornet turret Gaz is ingame.

I think Pete Wenman is right, consider this :

Electronic warfare, UAVs, precision arty, APS and

SAMs : in CMSF you could just call in airsupport, now you have

to calculate with enemy SAMs shooting down your air assets.

Spotters : can only call in one mission.

TRPs : we did'nt have these in CMSF.

Landscape : now you can hide tanks and IFV in forrests and orchards in CMSF

most of the time you were in the desert.

LF

To be honest Pete.

Sensor line of sight is kind of important. It is the entire reason the krizantema and kornet atgm vehicle have their launcher on a stick above the vehicle. If they cant use them as intended then why bother using them at all? They would just present a soft paper-like target to anything as they stand proud on a ridge line so the gunner can peep out of vision block on the vehicle body.

I think its not in the game, like so many other engine features that would be needed to really simulate modern combat (2017).

For me BS is a Vehicle Pack (reskin) to SF.

...waiting for CMx3...

CMBS will have multiple huge improvements over CMSF, judging from what I've seen so far. LOS from extended sensors is something that will have to be tackled sooner or later for the modern theater games. Otherwise, ATGM and recon vehicles will be pretty eye-candy that decorate a protected corner of scenarios they are included in. :)

• 1 month later...
pnzrldr, on 18 Dec 2014 - 05:53 AM, said:

All - yes, there is currently no 'optics/remotes up' position in CM.  Best you can do is 'hull down' which is extremely hard to get and very perspective relative. 'Partial hull down' mitigates a little bit, but not enough. I've brought the magnitude of this problem up to the powers that be, but until we can get to a true new engine, it is unlikely to change.  I will reference your comments for further support in my reports though.  Thanks again for the encouragement on the writing.  When this thing is all done, I'll package it up and post as a stand-alone.  You can all snag it and say you were reading my stuff before I hit the NY Times best seller list!  ;-) 

Battlefront will you please comment on this issue?  Is it feasible for the developers to implement LOS from extended sensors into CMx2 in the near future?  I really hope that this capability will be included in CM:BS.

Steve I see you posting on a regular basis in the "Ukraine Military vs Russia" Thread, which is somewhat interesting.  However, at least this customer would prefer that you would discuss CM:BS with the customer base on a more frequent basis.  It would be great to hear your thoughts on the new game, and answer questions such as the ones presented in this Thread.

I just checked on the status of this, and the answer is the same as before. Adding higher sources of LOS than the general system what we have right now isn't going to happen, because it requires greatly complicating what is already the most complex system in a complex game engine. Basically it's a firm "not gonna happen".

I just checked on the status of this, and the answer is the same as before. Adding higher sources of LOS than the general system what we have right now isn't going to happen, because it requires greatly complicating what is already the most complex system in a complex game engine. Basically it's a firm "not gonna happen".

Thanks for the info!  CM still has the best LOS system in any game with as many AI-controlled units on map as it has.  Looking forward to all future improvements.

• 3 weeks later...

I think its not in the game, like so many other engine features that would be needed to really simulate modern combat(2017).

For me BS is a Vehicle Pack (reskin) to SF.

...waiting for CMx3...

While I agree that there are things not in this or simple limitations within the constraints of the game that make real world options difficult or simply impossible to do, it is far from a reskin of SF.  It plays significantly differently.

Honestly I could say the same thing "like so many other engine features that would be needed to really simulate combat" about any of the WW 2 titles if I really wanted to nitpick.  However does it do enough to create a very impressive close proximity, yep  and I have some basis to say that actually having played it.  ;)