Vehicle Pack Scenarios/Campaigns

So it's clear some are disappointed the Vehicle Pack did not include any scenarios featuring the new units. Understandable.

Rather than dwelling on the negative, let's examine the positive:

What scenario premises would you like to see made, which were not possible before the Vehicle Pack came out, and are now possible with the units that came in the Vehicle Pack?

Some of us might be interested in trying our hand at authoring a scenario or two that uses Vehicle Pack units... :D

Personally, I prefer scenarios that are at least loosely based on a historical engagement, but whatever you wish to suggest.

Would it be practical to rework existing campaigns and scenarios to use the new units?

Sure; very easy to do.

Only qualifier is that if you're looking to modify someone else's work, you should get permission from original author if you plan to release for public consumption.

Actually, second qualifier: For campaigns you'd need the broken-out individual scenario files to modify; you can't work with the compiled campaign file. IIRC, someone created a program that will actually break apart a compiled campaign file into its constituent battles, though.

I'd love to see some British para D-Day actions (not sure if need new units or not). Pegasus Bridge is the obvious one but there were loads of actions, often against strongpoints/seizing strategic locations and holding.

Might be interesting to have some Axis assaults against para defended locations too.

I'd love to see some British para D-Day actions (not sure if need new units or not). Pegasus Bridge is the obvious one but there were loads of actions, often against strongpoints/seizing strategic locations and holding.

Might be interesting to have some Axis assaults against para defended locations too.

Well, now that we have concrete gun bunkers in CMBN, you could certainly do the Assault on the Merville Battery undertaken by Brit Paras on D-Day.

IIRC, historically the Merville guns were larger caliber than the options given for gun bunkers in the Vehicle Pack, but tactically the difference would be minimal as frontally assaulting an unsuppressed gun bunker with infantry is suicide.

And actually, IIRC there was at least one German AT gun in a Pillbox defending the bridges in Operation Deadstick aka Pegasus Bridge. So you'd need the Vehicle Pack to properly represent the German defending forces in that battle.

Sure; very easy to do.

Only qualifier is that if you're looking to modify someone else's work, you should get permission from original author if you plan to release for public consumption.

Actually, second qualifier: For campaigns you'd need the broken-out individual scenario files to modify; you can't work with the compiled campaign file. IIRC, someone created a program that will actually break apart a compiled campaign file into its constituent battles, though.

Technically (I think), since the author put it in the public domain, you could modify it anyway, but you shouldn't pass it off as your own work (i.e. acknowledge the author), nor seek to make commercial advantage. Of course, to stay accepted around here, making reasonable attempts to get permission would be pretty nice!

I genuinely believe that folks who take the time and trouble to create campaigns (especially) should be able to benefit from em. Those seem to be almost a full-time job.

For established designers here who we know and trust can do an xnt job, they deserve it.

Or, maybe BF can hire them on a contract basis.

Or, maybe if designers made campaigns on spec, BF could first have the option to buy their campaigns and then sell them to us and make a profit - win-win given that campaigns are currently an endangered species..

Alex. See Shmi's March campaign recently released. Whole campaign surrounding Pegasus Bridge and it's relief. ;)

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/index.php/downloads/category/7-scenarios

Would it be historically accurate to add a troop of Sherman Crabs to Colossal Crack?

:) They aren't really needed for that scenario since there aren't any German mines. However, much of the German equipment could be swapped out for the French conversion vehicles since those would be the accurate vehicles for that particular scenario.

The 11th Armoured Division had Sherman Crab tanks attached so why not and ....

SPOILER

...the german Geschützwagen 39H(f) 75mm and Geschützwagen 39H(f) 105mm

from the two AT batterys defending could be added to the german OOB.

The German halftracks could be swapped out as well

Alex. See Shmi's March campaign recently released. Whole campaign surrounding Pegasus Bridge and it's relief. ;)

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/index.php/downloads/category/7-scenarios

Oh.... my...god...... a 10 scenario campaign!! Pegasus Bridge!! Lord Lovat!! Heaven!

Now all we need is the piper special unit!* I read an interview with Bill Millin, the piper for Lord Lovat, and he listed some of the tunes he played. I have learnt the tunes - every time I play them I think of Bill and the commandos marching through Normandy to relieve the paras!

http://youtu.be/B4WZwz2C72M

*Oh yes, and the commandos!