Is Fortress Italy the best combat mission?

Ironflak

About to buy Combat mission game and I'm torn between Red thunder and Fortress Italy, I was hoping for some input from you guys, what you like, dislike, pros and cons.

thanks.

Wow.. thats a tough one. Id say that it comes down to what theatre you find most interesting. Both games are at 3.0 so its the latest version of the game engine.

There is a bit more content for FI at the moment as it has a module in Gustav Line, but that is an additional cost of course if your only looking to buy a base game.

I enjoy both very much.

It is difficult to put my finger on but I find RT a bit meh. CMFI with Gustav Line is a bigger theatre with a wider variety of terrains, units and weathers (snow), but there are not many (any?) community maps built with V3 for it yet (so, specifically, the maps are not using AI triggers). However it is barely noticeable in a typical Quick Battle.

CMFI/GL doesn't have flamethrowers or tank riders. But to be honest, until flames are an entity that can spread I am not fussed about the former.

You may find these threads informative:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=116655

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=116579

CMFI IF YOU BUY IT BY ITSELF without Gustav is likely not as good.

If you are getting both, then it might be the better choice presently.

As for Flame in Red thunder, that is not worth basing it on at the moment.

Some of the units are buggy at the moment, still waiting for a patch that might fix that. Infantry works good, it is some of the tracks and such that it is impossible almost to get them to fire presently.

I like Italy/GL in some way better then RT at the moment. I agree you should buy GL too if you want to go the Italy route. The 3.0 upgrade has decreased the load times and I think the AT gun changes are for the better.

It's also a matter of taste. Many are very hard core Eastern Front fans so they are going to be fanatical about RT. I know some good h2h players who are also history buffs and would love to play them in Italy, but they are just not interested in the theater.

Some of the battles are very infantry centric and can be slow grinding slogs where you're spending a lot of time probing to locate enemy positions and then carefully moving HQ or FO's into position so you can call down artillery fire before advancing. Its a refreshing change, but may not appeal to all.

There are some battles with armored forces too so there is variety.

Define best. Only you can do that.

CMBN has the most support since it is the oldest

CMFI/GL is not as old but has less support for mods and scenarios

CMRT is eastern front.

Pick the theater you like but more players have CMBN and CMRT than CMFI/GL I believe based on the number of files at the repository and cmmods site.

I have all three but play CMFI the least....

Bobo

The engaging thing about FI for me was that the forces involved are in somewhat of a transitory state, so you're not getting the "best of the best" butting heads all the time. The US has their half track tank destroyers, the Italian armour is, to be charitable, challenging to employ. It has the reverse of the "normal" WW2 scenario, with the Sherman actually being the state of the art, and somewhat at an advantage over the German mediums (and German heavies are rare as hens' teeth).

Well, CMFI with Gustav Line has US, British, Canadian, New Zealand, and Polish troops. US Paratroopers, British paras, German Fallschirmjager, and Italians.

It has snowy landscapes, dry semi-tropical landscapes, and mountains. Units with overcoats, which is cool to see.

Italy and Sicily were very intense and, from a military historical point of view, fascinating campaigns. (Check out a book called 'Ten Armies in Hell' for an introduction.)

If you end up buying it, you will not be disappointed by lack of content, I'll say that much.

About to buy Combat mission game and I'm torn between Red thunder and Fortress Italy, I was hoping for some input from you guys, what you like, dislike, pros and cons.

thanks.

Yes... only IF you include Gustav line with it, then it is the best. Winter snow, or bright Summer seasons. Falschirmjaegers, recoilless rifles. Italians are interesting to play. Very bright, yet slightly arid terrain appearance. I found the scenarios very well done.

The era is light in handheld infantry AT weapons, that could be con if you like pz Fausts lets say. The Sherman rules at this time, but the mark 4 overtakes it at longer range.