Where is CMRT patch?

togi

I'm not totally surprised that another case of building entry problems was found. The inherent issue is a compiler bug that, for whatever reason, doesn't manifest itself in any sort of generalized way. Phil had to do a lot of generalized "defensive code" to catch the various symptoms because fixing the problem wasn't an option. It's why it took so long to isolate and then solve.

Steve

Steve, you realize how alien this sounds to us non coders? ;)

Good luck with it, you must be having night mares with it by now.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not totally surprised that another case of building entry problems was found. The inherent issue is a compiler bug that, for whatever reason, doesn't manifest itself in any sort of generalized way. Phil had to do a lot of generalized "defensive code" to catch the various symptoms because fixing the problem wasn't an option. It's why it took so long to isolate and then solve.

Steve

Steve/Phil and playtesters... I'm not a coder in any sense of the word; the only program I've ever written was something like a ten-step "macro" for my HP-10C calculator before I took my Land Surveying exam.

From what little I do understand, I'm sure this thing has been a nightmare. As I've said previously, I'll try to figure out exactly what building(s) and/or combo of them is causing problems. I will do what I can, time available, to see what's going on with my rig... I know this might not be the same with the next player's computer.

In any event, it's a whole lot better than it was before. And, I thank all of you involved with this issue for that! :cool:

Thanks to you guys and our testers we have found yet another "corner case". This is a term for very rarely seen exceptions to general rules of behavior. A good example of this is public road rules in the US. Red means stop, always. However, if there is a clear right turn you may take it on a red light after coming to a complete stop. The "corner case" in this example is for intersections where it is dangerous to make a right on red. In such cases the authorities specifically post a "no right on red" sign.

The building situation that was just discovered involved a specific condition of internal doors and external building junctions. Which means we had to specifically program a "no right on red" exception.

Steve

The root cause is a compiler bug that only impacts some i7 CPUs. Other systems don't experience it at all.

May I ask what compiler are you using? Has anything to do with activating floating point math optimizations? It's good to know - from a professional perspective - about these kind of compiler shenanigans.

@Phil

Damn was going to pick up a new comp just to play combat mission on(current rig barely runs it) and wanted to get an i7 class machine since the best choice in gaming rigs uses an i7 chip. the Alienware I want beats any i5 chip machine. I'm really disapointed I Got red thunder instead of beyond normandy but I thought getting the latest game would be the best route. Is their anyway I can exchange my red thunder license for beyond normandy and pay the difference for the addons I would like to purchase in addition to the base game? For me infantry not entering some buildings is a game breaking bug for me. Is their any hope that this bug will be squashed completely seems like there is soo many variables to it that it may never get fixed, seems like a new map could cause the bug to reappear.

May I ask what compiler are you using? Has anything to do with activating floating point math optimizations? It's good to know - from a professional perspective - about these kind of compiler shenanigans.

Drop me a PM. It doesn't appear to be linked to floating point optimizations.

@Phil

Damn was going to pick up a new comp just to play combat mission on(current rig barely runs it) and wanted to get an i7 class machine since the best choice in gaming rigs uses an i7 chip. the Alienware I want beats any i5 chip machine. I'm really disapointed I Got red thunder instead of beyond normandy but I thought getting the latest game would be the best route. Is their anyway I can exchange my red thunder license for beyond normandy and pay the difference for the addons I would like to purchase in addition to the base game? For me infantry not entering some buildings is a game breaking bug for me. Is their any hope that this bug will be squashed completely seems like there is soo many variables to it that it may never get fixed, seems like a new map could cause the bug to reappear.

I made a fix over the weekend and we're testing it now. The issue at hand really is a corner case - an instance of the original bug that was simply rare. The defensive code we've added *should* fix everything going forward, and if we do find anything we'll patch ASAP. I definitely wouldn't make any hardware-buying decisions based on it. You'll appreciate the i7 - it's a great CPU.

I am using i7 as well (4770K) and have had no problems too.

Both CMBN and Red Thunder runs very well.

I also do alot of photo and video-editing and exporting alot of highres video. I am amazed at how much more powerfull this processor is compared to my old intel 9550, especially when it comes to exporting video in adobe premier pro.

But if you are building a pc mainly for gaming Combat mission games i think i7 might be overkill?!

now to red thunder patches:

Is the new 1.02 patch containing other fixes changes besides the building entry bug?

I have a saved WEGO tcp game. Can we upgrade from 1.01 to 1.02 and continue playing from this saved game?

For information i had single crash in WEGO tcp creating a dumpfile, error code 0xc0000015. I never saw this specific error in any of my combat mission games before.

I have had 0xc0000005 error in CMBN in late 2013, but this 0xc0000015 is new.

Are BF interested in recieving the dumpfile?

besides this sigle crash, I am very very impressed by how well the new tcp wego is running. And the fact you can save now is just brilliant.

great job Battlefront

The updated patch - 1.02 - is up now.

Phil... I am so very grateful to BFC for getting this out so quickly. TBH, when I found the remnants of the building bug after 1.01, I thought it was just something I was going to have to learn to play around...

I've loaded up the 1.02 patch and NO building entry problems that I had on the "Blunting the Spear" map have cropped up...:D

THIS is why I keep buying BFC games. I'm a designer in a whole different world of engineering, but I don't stop until the problems get fixed. Sometimes, these fixes take longer than others, but you guys don't give up either... Hats off!!!