Any news?

Here is the official status update:

It's some sort of low level bug that is extremely machine specific and even then inconsistent. What's making this exceptionally difficult is that there's very few people experiencing this problem in any way that's reproducible on their end, not to mention on ours (we can not reproduce it). Worse, the few people that do report the problem often do not have exactly the same symptoms and we've failed to find a "smoking gun" platform link that confirms where the problem might be. Our best guess is it has something to do with a bug in the compiler we use and/or in certain platforms and/or both.

We've spent a ton of time on this already and unfortunately no fixes have produced totally predictable improvements. We have not given up and are, in fact, preparing a new fix for testing.

Steve

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It's some sort of low level bug that is extremely machine specific and even then inconsistent. What's making this exceptionally difficult is that there's very few people experiencing this problem in any way that's reproducible on their end, not to mention on ours (we can not reproduce it). Worse, the few people that do report the problem often do not have exactly the same symptoms and we've failed to find a "smoking gun" platform link that confirms where the problem might be. Our best guess is it has something to do with a bug in the compiler we use and/or in certain platforms and/or both. "

Thanks Joch. Not great news, but at least its news.

I'm not sure what Steve means not the same symptoms. I made several test scenarios that are quite reproducible and multiple people reported the same problem. I think the real problem is that BF does not have a machine that reproduces the problem. Very difficult to fix if you can't see the problem. Perhaps they should buy one for this purpose.

I guess I typed a little fast. I will be happy to send them a gift if they fix the bug!

One thing that is interesting about the bug is that if you place a two story building down first when you make a scenario, all subsequent one story buildings do not seem affected. It almost seems like the code for doors in the one story building are not loading, but are for two story buildings and once the code is loaded into the memory it stays there. I wonder if a work around couldn't be to load a virtual two story building automatically into the memory when a scenario loads.

Just to clarify, it seems the bug requires three things: 1) Intel chip; 2) nVidia Graphics card, and 3) Windows 7. If your machine does not have all three of these conditions you are ok. Furthurmore, even if your machine has all of these three things, it is not certain that the bug will manifest itself. It is much more likely to be present on a laptop than a desktop. If people have all three of these conditions they should download my test scenarios for CMRT and/or CMFI from the original thread in the tech section and report what happens. Alternatively, just play the Tankovi descent scenario in the demo and see if you can enter the house on the left of the road as the Russians.

Alternatively, just play the Tankovi descent scenario in the demo and see if you can enter the house on the left of the road as the Russians.

Or use the ones in the forest in the centre close to the Russian side in Monster Mash. That is the one I have been using to test.

I also have created my own test scenario. I had not noticed the 2 story effect you mentioned - mind you I have not looked for it either...

Ian:

Go to the scenario editor and plunk down a few one story houses. Next plunk down one two story house. Now put down a few more one story houses.

Also, you should buy a platoon of infantry. Save scenario.

Now play the scenario. Your troops will not be able to enter the houses put down before the second story house, but will be able to enter the ones put down afterwards.

I have also experimented with removing the second story house after the initial save. In that case, the later houses not longer work.

From these experiments, I concluded that when the two story house is loaded it brings with it some information related to doors that is missing when one story houses are loaded. Once this info exists in the memory, all subsequent houses have access to it.

I am and I have - I just finished trying it myself and it "worked" like a charm. It has to be, what's called in the software business, a clue.

Glad you were able to repeat my observation. It has to be said that this observation was clearly stated in the original tech thread, so it really shouldn't be news to Phil or Charles if they were paying attention to that thread. However, the lack of feedback makes it impossible to know.

Yes, and ever wonder why doornails are any deader than other inanimate objects?

Because door planks are thick and sturdy, door nails are large, and have to be belted repeatedly with a heavy hammer to make them go in. You'd be dead too if you were hit on the head a dozen times with a 16oz steel hammer.

Because door planks are thick and sturdy, door nails are large, and have to be belted repeatedly with a heavy hammer to make them go in.

Thanks for that. I've always wondered what was so special about doornails that they deserved particular notice.

You'd be dead too if you were hit on the head a dozen times with a 16oz steel hammer.

I'm not so sure. I've known some pretty thick headed blokes who I suspect would perform that as a party trick and continue to grin in their idiotic way.

Michael

Thanks for that. I've always wondered what was so special about doornails that they deserved particular notice.

There's also the idea that a door knocker would be hung so that its striking end rests on a door nail, so that particular nail gets another clattering every time someone comes to the door...

I'm not so sure. I've known some pretty thick headed blokes who I suspect would perform that as a party trick and continue to grin in their idiotic way.

Ah, that kind are already dead from the neck up anyway ;)

Because door planks are thick and sturdy, door nails are large, and have to be belted repeatedly with a heavy hammer to make them go in. You'd be dead too if you were hit on the head a dozen times with a 16oz steel hammer.

I think the main thing is that "deader than a doornail," like most stock phrases and cliches, trips pleasingly off the tongue. We like language like that.