my Driver has the PIAT and Won't Give it Up

Sadly, you can't. Best have him snag some bombs and let an HQ/XO unit/split scout squad drive and gun the halfie. It's an easy mistake to make, hitting "Acquire" while the vehicle is selected. Unfortunately all Acquire operations are one-way only.

If there aren't any bombs available to grab, perhaps because the intended user of the PIAT has already taken them, you might be able to induce the/an element with appropriate ammo to share with the driver, if they highlight when the driver is selected (i.e. are subordinate to the same HQ).

Maybe you could shoot the driver and then buddy aid him.

Be careful of this course of action. Buddy aid often does not give you all the bombs being carried. Sometimes you just get the round in the tube but none of the others.

Plus, you will not be able to shoot him with small arms so unless you have a .50 cal near by you will have to use HE which might also damage the launcher.

I could see a NCO or officer pulling out a sidearm and telling the driver to give it up or else. but looks like that's not the case so I'll just have to make due with the situation at hand.

Looks like the driver will get his wish to be Rambo. He may end up regretting it and soon wish he'd just remained a taxi driver.

You could shoot him with small arms if you put him where he can not be seen but is not well protected and then use area fire.

Only with .50Cal or bigger, as Ian said, which may well damage the launcher. No matter how much you intimidate him with rifle-calibre and lower suppression, he won't give up the Tube.

Maybe you could bribe him with a cuppa?

Let that driver prove his worth, He can handle the job.

I have used the driver before and had success, just don't let him go for long shots. Limit his range to a high percentage shot and he will be your hero. It is easy to keep one man hidden also. Something else in his favor

Re this sort of issue, it would be really nice to have a revamped ACQUIRE feature.

ie: Any unit could ACQUIRE things from any adjacent unit (within reasonable quantity and possibly with a time penalty/delay).

This would especially help with the labor intensive WEGO situation where you often have to break down a squad unit into teams, then a team enters a vehicle, then (next turn) ACQUIRE, then disembark, then join with the squad in order to distribute the ammo.

Maybe it takes that much time to do that, but of course RT players can do all the above in a few seconds. The real issue is the time it takes players to perform this meaningless non fun game mechanic when we want to concentrate on the fun parts of the game.

Re this sort of issue, it would be really nice to have a revamped ACQUIRE feature.

[snip]

One day, we can hope for a proper inventory system. That'd be great. I do hope it's on "the list", but I suspect if it is, it's a "low priority" item, because game designers always think that inventory management is something people hate, when actually it's the crummy systems provided for that purpose (because it's a low priority) that people hate.

In my last battle I used a 'schrek team (ammo depleted) to resupply a heavy MG42. They brought the ammo from the truck, then had to sit around while it was fired off.

If a mortar round takes out the 'schrek team, does the mg team have to buddy aid them to get the ammo?

IIRC the ammo will remain available as long as the MG team stays within ammo sharing range of where the bodies lay. In fact, if the team doesn't have to move it's better not to buddy aid since that will often result in only part of the ammo being recovered, which is an odd discrepancy.

Thanks Vanir. I'd really like to have a "drop off" option, ammo dropped going to the nearest friendly - with resupply like that you don't have to take teams out of the battle-line to get more ammo and you can use a team on more than one re-supply mission.

Yeah. I think the anticipation I felt around the announcement of "ammo dumps" for the latest iteration of the engine owed at least something to the hope that it would mean we could actually dump ammo. What we got is a step in the right direction, but there's a long way to go.