How to record video in game

I´ve tried a variety, but none is better than Fraps, in my opinion.

The downside - which is also the upside - is that Fraps records the video footage uncompressed. This means that the save files are huge - and you´ll probably need some compression software if you´re going to edit your footage.

This means that the save files are huge - and you´ll probably need some compression software if you´re going to edit your footage.

For that i would recommend that quick media converter. Very simple quick and easy.

BTW has anyone tried Dxtory? i've read its suppose to be the best but i havent tried it.

If you do end up using FRAPS I also advice you to have a separate harddrive dedicated to recording.

If you record to the same harddrive as the one you have the game on, you can get serious stuttering because the HD needs to both load the information for the game and save the recorded footage at the same time.

When I started recording the storylines in Star Wars: The Old Republic I bought a 1Tb HDD just to record to and it removed all the stuttering I've had before.

Could it be an external hard drive?

I guess... as long as the connection is fast.

The thing about FRAPS that most people complain about is that it is "a resource hog" and slows down your system.

But most people don't realize that it's because it saves in such a raw quality and such large files that if you save to the same hard drive as the one you have the game on, there will be alot of extra work for the HDD.

Splitting the load over two HDD's will significantly lower the load on the system.

BUT, you have to have a fast HDD connection if you want it to be an external one since it still has to save as fast as you are recording.

If you have a strong CPU, I would go with Bandaicam. FRAPS, DXstory, and a whole lot of them are loss less recorders which spares no expense in quality at the expense of HDD usage. Video encoding from loss less video will take at the very least an hour and a half for about 30 minutes of video for internet quality at least. Then you'd have to spend the time uploading. With Bandaicam, it'll encode as it goes, the quality isn't as great however it doesn't really make a difference for internet video.

If you do end up using FRAPS I also advice you to have a separate harddrive dedicated to recording.

If you record to the same harddrive as the one you have the game on, you can get serious stuttering because the HD needs to both load the information for the game and save the recorded footage at the same time.

Great tip, I'll have to try that one myself. I also concur that fraps works very well with the game. While Adobe Premier Elements is a cheap, easy to use, and effective piece of software for editing videos.

If you have a strong CPU, I would go with Bandaicam. FRAPS, DXstory, and a whole lot of them are loss less recorders which spares no expense in quality at the expense of HDD usage. Video encoding from loss less video will take at the very least an hour and a half for about 30 minutes of video for internet quality at least. Then you'd have to spend the time uploading. With Bandaicam, it'll encode as it goes, the quality isn't as great however it doesn't really make a difference for internet video.

I get an almost 1:1 ratio of rendering on Sony Vegas Pro 12.

That's at 1080p done for youtube.

So 30 minutes of material will usually take around 30 minutes to render.

I too have FRAPS but as noted huge AVI files. I do a lot of sports video taping/production and none of records in AVI. Has anyone here used a MP4 based game recorder? Nice high def, much smaller files. One such piece of software is MOVAVI. Another is Mirillis' ACTION.

Would be interested in any MP4 recording information.

I don't know, I always re-edit the files to MP4 with sony vegas pro or movie maker and then delete the originals when I'm done.

• 7 years later...

Windows 10 has the XBox Gamebar which you open with the Windows-key + the G-key. Xbox Gamebar allows you to make a video of your game and to take screenshots.

If you don't have it on your Windows 10 computer you can apparently download it from the Microsoft Store or what it's called.

I unfortunately haven't been able to try it out as my laptop doesn't seem to live up to the requirements for it to record my game.

Search about it on internet to read how it works.

Edited by BornGinger

On 5/11/2021 at 1:40 PM, mjkerner said:

If you have Windows 10, you are out of luck with FRAPS because it no longer works with 10. You could try Windows Movie Maker or whatever it’s called or if you have Nvidia try their GeForce game overlay.

I have just started using the Shadow Play Geoforce feature with my Nvidia card, software free with card. Dead easy to use, good results, and you can set it up to like a dashcam to record last 5 minutes by just hitting a function key so it is working in background even if you don't hit record. 

So if you have it that was easy option for me...