Red Thunder manual is up

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to say how incredibly well-written this manual is. I got my old Shock Force manual out to compare and the difference in terms of explaining how the UI works and showing principles of how to actually play the game is a world apart.

Other wargame developers should be using this as a model.

Yes, it has been fun, and an honor to be asked to help. I have not played against the AI this much since the release of of CMBN. The game is awesome! Wait am I allowed to say that? Perhaps not since it's awsomeness has not been officially announced yet :)

Yeah, same here, Ian. And I never played so many turns a day before, either. As I mentioned elsewhere, I was always a version behind everyone else, it seemed, so I don't think I contributed a whole lot. But man, the work that the BFC team does behind the scene was a real eye-opener for me. Especially all the little twitchy things that crop up and need attention. Never knew there could be so many, but now I know why a release can take a long time in development.

Perhaps people who have never play tested don't actually realize how little "Play" there really is. Most of it is time consuming and detail oriented, and under a deadline.

My helmet is off to those of you who work long and hard on this for free. It does not happen without your efforts.

Purpheart23,

I'd say that these forums are nothing short of Hair-splitter Central. :-)

In all seriousness, though, the Soviets themselves never called it (at least in official documents, to my best knowledge) anything other than "пушка", i.e. "gun", as opposed to "гаубица" ("howitzer").

The Wiki article was just the most conveniently available source, but hardly the only one. Unfortunately, most of the cited sources are in print, not online; and those that are available online will probably not pass the "higher-than-Wikipedia" standard. I did find some places online where it was labeled as a howitzer, but mostly on pictures, not in source texts. Some of these mentions were actually for modeling, so they have to be considered secondary, IMHO.

A-19 does have some "howitzer-like" features such as high maximum elevation and separate loading ammunition, but its design and battle application in my opinion firmly put it in the gun category. To compare it with the 122 mm M-30 howitzer just below it in the manual, the A-19's barrel length is 45 calibers, giving it a reported max muzzle velocity of about 800 m/s, while for the M-30 the barrel length is 18.7 calibers giving it a max muzzle velocity of just 515 m/s.