Decals = Gamey?

So... in RT the player can examine, in media res, the damage inflicted on his own vehicles. Using vector analysis can he not make an informed estimate of the source and angle of the AT shot? Certainly a possibility in any engagement- theoretically. In reality, the heat and chaos of an actual battle would seem to render this kind of on the fly calculus far fetched.

Debate.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So... in RT the player can examine, in media res, the damage inflicted on his own vehicles. Using vector analysis can he not make an informed estimate of the source and angle of the AT shot? Certainly a possibility in any engagement- theoretically. In reality, the heat and chaos of an actual battle would seem to render this kind of on the fly calculus far fetched.

Debate.

What you going to do with the answer?... you can watch the video, do trig, debate the sine of the impact angle, but in reality you still have a penetrating AT weapon with a bead on you... In those situations I pop smoke or back up... knowing where the threat is is secondary. And the hit location text gives pretty much the same info... or were you joking?;)

RT isn't out yet. There are just screenshots. The rub is the amount of information one can extract from the them. If it's just nifty, not overly detailed chrome- fine. If BF made the impacts highly realistic- to the point of enabling determination of the direction and caliber- then, yes, it could prove problematical given the player's ability to freeze frame.

There's a reason why there are no visible tank tread marks in the game. A very sound reason.

RT isn't out yet. There are just screenshots. The rub is the amount of information one can extract from the them. If it's just nifty, not overly detailed chrome- fine. If BF made the impacts highly realistic- to the point of enabling determination of the direction and caliber- then, yes, it could prove problematical given the player's ability to freeze frame.

Pffft, you can already do pretty much the same thing by replaying the hit and watching the angle of the incoming round.

If you're gonna be gamey, you will find ways to be gamey.

"Someone might add it to their gamey-repertoire" is a terrible reason to deny an increase in graphical goodness.

The point was that all graphical enhancements are not necessarily a positive. There are no visible treads because their existence on the map would grant your opp total knowledge of the movement of your AFVs. Collapsed walls and fences already do that in a minor way. It impairs Fog of War. Coding in visible tracks while preserving FOW poses, apparently, insuperable difficulties. Like realistically appearing foxholes.

I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, the Graviteam tactical games show tracks. A big mistake.

I think decals are terrific in principle and super immersive, provided they don't give too much away. Who wants to spend x number of minutes triangulating every turn?

Don't underestimate yourself. Your last sally left a gaping hole in my upper left breast. I calculate that it arrived from a N/E/E direction and was satirical in nature. ;)

:D Placing puns wholly aside, in relation to the question: I play only wego, so my observations only apply to that. I will admit there are times when playing I will "rewind" the action several times because I am mystified as to where a shot came from.

But I quite seriously can't imagine I am going to try to work out by zooming in on a decal, the precise angle etc the shot came from. More likely if I am being 'gamey' I will do it similar to what we see Chris (normal dude) doing in his showcasing of CMRT. Several times he rewinds to see "who did that" - admittedly most of the time he's trying to verify which one of his tanks got a hit, not where he was hit from. We were all marvelling over the hit decals, one tiger looked like it had a bad case of metallic measles.

Very often we know if we've been hit from a particular side. Rewinding will usually confirm something like "from that tree-line over there". I could be wrong, but I sincerely doubt that close examination of the hit decal will reveal "it was a 76mm, it must have been entrenched because I estimate the trajectory to have originated no more than 18 inches from the ground, 2 inches to the right of the elderberry by that shrubbery 784.5 metres away".**

Basically, were I to play h2h against someone and they wanted to use hit decals to try to triangulate my position, good luck to them and it wouldn't concern me. But I can understand why concerns have been raised.

** I am willing to run some tests if I can be sent the latest beta build (thanks)

:D Placing puns wholly aside, in relation to the question....

A propos of your devastatingly witty remark- I think I'm pretty much okay. Internal systems are functioning properly except the Optics button is glowing bright orange. Off to the optometrist...

You made some good points.

In Wego, do hit decals offer any more info than replaying the video to use sound to locate the area the fire came from?

And in RT, if a player spends the time and concentration to use hit decals to find the enemy shot location, the cost in lost attention to his opponent probably outweighs the benefit anyway.

Long live decals!

In Wego, do hit decals offer any more info than replaying the video to use sound to locate the area the fire came from?

No, much less.

And in RT, if a player spends the time and concentration to use hit decals to find the enemy shot location, the cost in lost attention to his opponent probably outweighs the benefit anyway.

Long live decals!

Other than possibly telling you which hemisphere the shot came from, you are not getting any information on location.