Decals = Gamey?

Possible squeals to this thread:

Hit text = gamey?

Using camera levels above 1= gamey?

Having a map with an edge = gamey?

No decapitated troops shown = gamey?

Real troops have to pee sometimes right in the middle of battle, no peeing animations = gamey? :D

WEGO system when real battles are real time = gamey?

Being able to pause the game = gamey?

Combat Mission is playable as a game, and is not reality = gamey?

Yeah come on BFC!, its not realistic enough!

When one of my soldiers gets hit or exploded I want to feel it damn it!

When they step in a mine field I want my legs to get blown off!

...Wait.

:D

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no! I've been drafted into the...*gasp*...Establishment! Aaaiiiiiieeeeeeeeee!

Drafted?! You were inducted. There was a near unanimous vote. The only dissenter was ** who judged your grog credentials- though damned good- not quite up to the levels he expects. And you win a prize. We all chipped and bought you a Brooks Brothers gift certificate. They're having on a sale on grey flannel suits, by the way. ;)

Real troops have to pee sometimes right in the middle of battle, no peeing animations = gamey? :D

Seriously, what do you do when you have to pee right in the middle of a battle?

Easy to fix:

A simple, little mod that colours the trousers of the pixeltruppen a few tones darker around the crotch

Seriously, what do you do when you have to pee right in the middle of a battle?

Well um, they pee. Peeing in ones pants if necessary, but lying on the side is preferred rather than standing, finding a nice lonely tree, unzipping, and getting ones head shot off with that being their last act on Earth. Imagine how the CO has to write that one up for the relatives left behind. Too bad they did not have “Depends” back in ww2.

There is a chapter in the army field manual dedicated to it called “Field, hygiene, personal”. Sub chapter; “How to urinate, situation,combat.” Look it up.

I ALWAYS try to locate the shooters position with sound if i cant spot him. Even if it means i ll have to watch the turn 5-6 times...

I never bother with stuff like this. I watch the turn a few times to watch things blow up and stuff, but life is already too short. A quick game is a good game :)

Well um, they pee. Peeing in ones pants if necessary, but lying on the side is preferred rather than standing, finding a nice lonely tree, unzipping, and getting ones head shot off with that being their last act on Earth. Imagine how the CO has to write that one up for the relatives left behind. Too bad they did not have “Depends” back in ww2.

There is a chapter in the army field manual dedicated to it called “Field, hygiene, personal”. Sub chapter; “How to urinate, situation,combat.” Look it up.

You only have to urinate uphill once while lying on your side to get a much better eye for subtle slopes. It, err, happened to a friend of mine. Yeah. A friend...

The problem here is more one of the game NOT having good fog of war. Things that have not been seen by you since they got knocked over should look no different! So being able to see tank tracks and knocked over fences even when you have no eyes on to detect the change is what is gamey.

Freeze framing and replaying things over and over to get a bead on direction of incoming fire is one of the negative impacts of WEGO. Soldiers that are suppressed are not going to be looking at holes in tanks to determine directions.

On the subject of urination (boy, we get around to discussing everything on this board, don't we?), the Duke of Wellington was quoted in something I read a long time ago as saying that you should urinate every chance you get because once battle is joined you never know when you will get the next chance.

Back over 50 years ago I was watching a movie set in the Korean War and concerned with a small group of soldiers who had gotten caught behind enemy lines and were trying to make their way back to their own lines. The grizzled old veteran sergeant is telling the greenhorn private how to stay alive, and one of the things he tells him is to keep moving because if he stops he makes an inviting target for gook snipers. And he says—and the words are burned in my memory—"If you have to take a relief, take it walking." I dare anyone to try that, just don't wear your best pair of pants.

Lastly, a woman reporter was covering the retreat of the 1st. Marine Division from the Chosin Reservoir in December, 1950 in bitter cold. She was interviewing one young Marine and asked him what the hardest part of the whole ordeal was and he answered, "Trying to pull a two inch pecker through six inches of clothing."

Let me know when we get to battlefield defecation. I have some anecdotes about that too.

Michael

The problem here is more one of the game NOT having good fog of war. Things that have not been seen by you since they got knocked over should look no different! So being able to see tank tracks and knocked over fences even when you have no eyes on to detect the change is what is gamey.

Battlefront is already aware of any objections we make. They're constrained by either time consuming coding challenges or the limits of current computer processing power. Visible tank tracks were never a feature in any CM game.

Let me know when we get to battlefield defecation. I have some anecdotes about that too.

Michael

Perhaps we can save that one for the next "Insert complaint here = gamey?" thread. I wouldn't want you to use all your best material all at once.

"Don't Cry for Me Sergeant Major" is a book written by journalists embedded with the infantry in the Falklands war, right down to the squaddie level.

As such, almost every single anecdote ultimately boils down to something going into, or out of, someone's bottom.