Decals = Gamey?

This issue was debated only a few weeks ago when decals were first announced. To reiterate, there are already "gamey" means of locating a shooter.

1) Hit text.

2) If the incoming round is seen before impact pause the game and trace it's path back.

3) Move the camera around the sound of the shot (which is always at the shooting unit's location). This last method is far more accurate than lining up the holes in a tank since it is not limited to one axis.

In other words, worrying about decals is pointless.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a simple solution if you don't want to use hit decals to 'game' the game by ferreting out intel. Don't do it! Don't closely inspect your vehicle for entrance and exit wounds, don't rewind and replay repeatedly. I may have been the first non-programmer to play with hit decals, I don't think I've once tried to extrapolate the shooter location from the decals. Though a hole the size of your fist going through the tank does tell you you're not dealing with a T70 light tank. :)

As if having the ability to rewind a turn ad infinitum isn't gamey enough. Not to mention all the shells get a huge tracer attached to them that let's you know where the shot is coming from. If you're that hung up on hit decals, then play in real time. You won't have time to inspect all those little details. Problem solved.

Maybe I play at a lower difficulty than most, but every time my AFV gets hit, it says "hit Upper Left Turret."

Isn't that easier than triangulating the decal with sound etc. Or on higher difficulty does that text not show up?

Heh... it is a good question. As others have pointed out there are already some ways for a truly determined "gamey" player to figure out things which shouldn't be known. I will point out, however, generally players don't even need to work hard to get this sort of information. That's because of the unavoidable "Player as God" capability inherent in any game that isn't First Person. That's where Tank A is shot and hit by Tank B, which it can not see, but you know darned well Tank B is there because you have an infantry squad that sees it. This allows you to have Tank A react to Tank B very precisely.

Steve

I had that happen in CMBB. Both HTs.

Had it happen in Barkmanns corner. Fired right through one sherman and riccocheted off the second one, which apparantly got so scared that it bailed shortly after :D

I think I have it on video somewhere too...

EDIT: Nope, sorry, it appears I deleted it a few weeks back when I cleaned out my videos harddrive :(

Pffft, you can already do pretty much the same thing by replaying the hit and watching the angle of the incoming round.

Yes. And if a crew were determined to estimate precisely the source and caliber of a hit from an impact the TC would have to EXIT the tank and do the inspection.

The Powers That Be, including, most importantly, Michael Emrys, have declared 'keep moving, nothing to see here'. That's good enough for this customer.

Childress is taking lemonade and trying very hard to make lemons out of it. If hit decals were mere window dressing someone would be complaining they add nothing to the game. If they impart some knowledge during gameplay they'd argue they're adding too much. If they're left out entirely someone would complain that CM is stagnant and not progressing. Yes, the glass is half empty, not half full.

I love the addition of hit decals. With CMx2 detailed calculations and physics its just awesome and gives us more from the engin that is otherwise mostly hidden. And If I have just run my opponent through.. Im fine with him trying to make out where the round came from. Examining angles and hit decals wont win you battles..

Childress is taking lemonade and trying very hard to make lemons out of it.

Whadd'ya mean, Mikey? I just unconditionally surrendered. Now you've done it.

You got the argumentative, win-at-all-cost juices flowing again. Thanks, pal.

Now where did that Ukraine thread go? I recall some poster made an incorrect assumption. ;)

I ALWAYS try to locate the shooters position with sound if i cant spot him. Even if it means i ll have to watch the turn 5-6 times, it is just absolutely worth it. Most of times i get the shooters location accurate enough to take him out with area fire HE the next turn (well, if it is a soft target at least). Yeah, it is probably gamey, but i cant help myself, i feel like i have to get best the game engine allows me out of my troops.

Possible squeals to this thread:

Hit text = gamey?

Using camera levels above 1= gamey?

Having a map with an edge = gamey?

No decapitated troops shown = gamey?

Real troops have to pee sometimes right in the middle of battle, no peeing animations = gamey? :D

WEGO system when real battles are real time = gamey?

Being able to pause the game = gamey?

Combat Mission is playable as a game, and is not reality = gamey?