Show all targeting lines command

Yeah. It can't be like the old x1 targeting lines, which IIRC would show what the unit was firing on of its own volition, but being able to see all the fire orders you've given would be most helpful. It wouldn't be on all the time (like Show All Paths" mostly is), but would still be more than trivially helpful to have it available.

Yeah. It can't be like the old x1 targeting lines, which IIRC would show what the unit was firing on of its own volition, but being able to see all the fire orders you've given would be most helpful. It wouldn't be on all the time (like Show All Paths" mostly is), but would still be more than trivially helpful to have it available.

Yeah, I'd go for that.

Michael

Also a target arc command toggle: show selected, show all, show none.

A target arc command toggle would greatly help setting up in the defense. It would allow you to see your interlocking zones of fire and make it easier to identify dead zones. In practice it would allow you to see the range cards of all your units at the same time and speed up the placement of crew served weapons and various battle positions.

A target arc command toggle would greatly help setting up in the defense. It would allow you to see your interlocking zones of fire and make it easier to identify dead zones. In practice it would allow you to see the range cards of all your units at the same time and speed up the placement of crew served weapons and various battle positions.

I disagree. Apart from simply turning the entire map into a jaundiced, difficult-to-look-at mess, CA != FoF. The best defensive ATG setup I've had to crack had several guns firing at different angles through a line of sight-blockages, so that each gun could fire through several keyholes, and the "rays" of these fields of fire overlapped. Since you can't have more than one CA per weapon, you couldn't describe their fields of fire with CA. While this might have been an exceptionally good defensive position, it's often true to a lesser extent. It would be particularly useless as CAs are currently presented, since you'd be struggling to see which CA applied to which element.

You end up with a big mess of lines as you'd need one going from each individual soldier!

Three ways I can think of doing it:

1) by highest firepower weapon (RoF x throw weight) alone, i.e. a squad with a single MG42, three SMGs and four bolt rifles would show only where the MG42 fire was directed. Obviously not perfect, but workable.

2) by simple majority, same squad, if three guys with bolt rifles are shooting at Target C, SMGs are shooting at Target B and MG at Target A, line is displayed to Target C. Probably worse than the above, but still good enough in most circumstances.

3) Combine the two; aggregate firepower, so if the SMGs and bolt rifles are firing at target A and the MG42 at Target B, the line would be displayed towards Target A.

It doesn't need to be an absolutely perfect representation, just a broad overview of where the firepower is being directed in general terms, so the player can get on with his business.

I thought the request was referring to lines showing target (or face) orders issued by the player, not lines traced to every unit that is currently engaged by the TacAI.

Agree - the greatest utility is to see what explicit Target orders the player has given ( generally so you don't forget to cancel them ).

The target arc comment got me thinking of something I would like to see with all target arcs. Instead of what we get on the left, something more along the "lines" of what I have shown on the right would be much less annoying.

My own preference would be a kind of compromise. Not just sharply defined lines as shown on the right, but a gradient starting at the lines and fading toward the middle for a modest distance. I think this would look better and convey more information to the eye with less confusion.

Michael

I would like to be able to toggle on and off target lines/arcs. Also I would like to be able to see in WEGO when the turn is in movie mode those lines displayed as well. Also I would like to see the ordered movement lines as well in the movie mode option. There are times when I would like to be able to see what I ordered and what occurred. All of these with the option of turning it off just like trees, icons, etc...