Nice Article....

Saferight

"The Human player moves his units cautiously along the road. Unknown to him he runs over the Trigger Objective and that springs the tank destroyers into action. They appear on top of a hill 800m off to the left, catching the player’s attacking tanks in the flank and (hopefully for the AI) knocking some out. After a couple of minutes of trading fire AI Group 3 executes another Order to move back behind the hill for cover and then relocate to a new spot to then be tied into a new Trigger Objective so as to repeat the same sort of thing but from a different location.”

This quote poses some questions. For example, does the AI need to see the Trigger Objective tile in order enter into action? Does any player unit provoke the reaction? Will a scout team or a tank platoon exert the same triggering effect?

Originally triggers had been coded so the AI had to 'see' the trigger get tripped but that caused no end of grief and was abandoned (thank God). Currently the designer can toggle the trigger for "Trigger friendly", "Trigger friendly armor" "Trigger enemy" or "Trigger enemy armor". The 'friendly' trigger can allow for some coordination. Let's say unit A springs into action due to an enemy trigger. As they move forward they over-run a 'trigger friendly' spot along their path that tell unit B that its time to move forward in support.

Currently the designer can toggle the trigger for "Trigger friendly", "Trigger friendly armor" "Trigger enemy" or "Trigger enemy armor".

Thanks for this info Mikey, I was going to ask about whether triggers can be separated into categories this way. It wouldn't make sense for (say) your armor ambush to be triggered by a recon squad.

I really can't wait to get my hands on triggers!

Don't think of the AI as 'creating a virtual opponent' as a fill-in for a human. Think of it as 'choreographing a satisfying battle experience' the way a jazz musician arranges a jam session. That can include arranging for the two sides to 'accidentally' (on purpose)stumble on each other or deliberately present the player with targets so he can have fun picking them off. Stuff you couldn't with the AI just playing 'fill-in for human' opponent.

Don't think of the AI as 'creating a virtual opponent' as a fill-in for a human.

Yes, with triggers currently not allowing branching or nesting, if then/else conditions, I don't expect them to allow me to program up a tactical genius opponent.

I have been thinking more along the lines that they might allow a kind of enhanced overall command order for a defence, compared to pre trigger scenarios relying simply on time. Much as a higher HQ presents a plan with broad strokes - establish holding forces here, respond to an attack on that point with this action, etc. Naturally with triggers being in an early stage of development I don't know if some of my ideas will be possible until I've actually tried them out.

As I said to Steve in a different post, any triggers are better than none :)

It would be interesting if one could set off an AI vs AI "battle of the plans" for playtesting a scenario.

Triggers were not implemented too late. The scenario (and QB map) designers are enthusiastically incorporating them into the game as we speak. Don't forget the best use of triggers are probably the least obvious uses. If you don't see triggers reacting like a jack-in-the-box that means triggers were incorporated with some subtlety.

This might be a dumb question, but can we expect to see triggers used in the scenarios/campaigns that come with the original release? (was just wondering if they were implemented too late for that)

Triggers are being used for missions that ship with the game, yes.

Yes, with triggers currently not allowing branching or nesting, if then/else conditions, I don't expect them to allow me to program up a tactical genius opponent.

I have been thinking more along the lines that they might allow a kind of enhanced overall command order for a defence, compared to pre trigger scenarios relying simply on time. Much as a higher HQ presents a plan with broad strokes - establish holding forces here, respond to an attack on that point with this action, etc. Naturally with triggers being in an early stage of development I don't know if some of my ideas will be possible until I've actually tried them out.

As I said to Steve in a different post, any triggers are better than none :)

It would be interesting if one could set off an AI vs AI "battle of the plans" for playtesting a scenario.

That feature is for Version 4.0.

Originally triggers had been coded so the AI had to 'see' the trigger get tripped but that caused no end of grief and was abandoned (thank God). Currently the designer can toggle the trigger for "Trigger friendly", "Trigger friendly armor" "Trigger enemy" or "Trigger enemy armor". The 'friendly' trigger can allow for some coordination. Let's say unit A springs into action due to an enemy trigger. As they move forward they over-run a 'trigger friendly' spot along their path that tell unit B that its time to move forward in support.

:) You guys have made a great decision here. Giving the talented scenario designers here more tools to work with is going to improve the game ten fold for the single player experience.

Would be cool to be able to play the turns back at the end of a single player scenario in editor mode to appreciate how the AI reacted to your moves.

Saferight,

Tim Stone writes not just well, but with flair. Outstanding first paragraph and an insightful interview cum review. Stone also stepped in inadvertently when he used "bussed" (kissed) in reference to transport services a T-34 had just supplied to infantry. Undone by an extra "S."

Regards,

John Kettler

He definitely does i read a lot of articles on RPS even about games and genres i care nothing about, mainly cause its great to see the current state of PC gaming. To me most of their writers are kick ass.