Decals!!!!!

AstroCat

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So cool, of course we are gonna mod 'em up too!

I'm currently running a luminous pink hit decal mod (via the new mod tags, of course) just so I can easily find each and every hit.

It adds a whole new level to the post battle review seeing what got hit where and how many times !!!

You will enjoy this feature.

P

It adds a whole new level to the post battle review seeing what got hit where and how many times !!!

P

Nobody was more skeptical about the idea of hit decals in the game than me. I was 100% wrong. They 'make' the game, to a degree you wouldn't believe.

AWESOME! It's been my biggest (new to either CM1 or X2) wishlist feature since CMSF. I can't wait to see them in action—gonna make the vehicle combat so much more immersive.

Mord.

I'm currently running a luminous pink hit decal mod (via the new mod tags, of course) just so I can easily find each and every hit.

LOL sounds like fun actually. I am sure during the normal play I would prefer not to see hot pick hits but in the battle review that would be cool.

Question though - why are you using then via the mod tags? What does that get you? I thought those were to run scenario specific mods.

Thanks! I echo what MikeyD said... it's one of those features that has an impact (pun intended) greater than the feature would appear to have.

We're running into the usual fun things of hits that technically are correct, but look silly. Like a 76mm hit to a tank's road wheel having the same look as a hit to 200mm of armor. We'll try to minimize the amount of silliness that comes up, though for sure it's not going to be perfect.

There are other kinds of decals that we want to work into the game as we go along. Top of my personal priority list is rank and unit badges for soldiers. Again, it's the sort of thing which might seem rather trivial, yet it for some reason matters a lot more when experiencing it.

Steve

P

Hello Kitty Hits are coming :D

Question though - why are you using then via the mod tags? What does that get you? I thought those were to run scenario specific mods.

Main reason to test the mod tags were working :)

But also if I don't add the tag, then I don't get the hot pink look. Saves mucking around in the Z folder - I'm lazy like that.

P

Thanks! I echo what MikeyD said... it's one of those features that has an impact (pun intended) greater than the feature would appear to have.

We're running into the usual fun things of hits that technically are correct, but look silly. Like a 76mm hit to a tank's road wheel having the same look as a hit to 200mm of armor. We'll try to minimize the amount of silliness that comes up, though for sure it's not going to be perfect.

There are other kinds of decals that we want to work into the game as we go along. Top of my personal priority list is rank and unit badges for soldiers. Again, it's the sort of thing which might seem rather trivial, yet it for some reason matters a lot more when experiencing it.

Steve

Rank and unit badges for soldiers are not trivial when zoomed in on the units in battle.

Oh, a bit of a can of worms eh. I was impressed that the ricochet hits were in so the rest I'll just not worry about. Some of those tanks will look pretty chewed up at the end of a hard battle.

Vehicle numbers - that would be cool too.

Main reason to test the mod tags were working :)

Right, got it. That makes sense.

But also if I don't add the tag, then I don't get the hot pink look. Saves mucking around in the Z folder - I'm lazy like that.

When you say "add the tag" where are we talking about? Is this at scenario creation time? Or can it be tweaked mid game?

Steve

Could different weapons (size) trigger different decal sizes? Like having scaled decals or does it already do this?

When you say "add the tag" where are we talking about? Is this at scenario creation time? Or can it be tweaked mid game?

It's a .txt file added during scenario creation in a similar way to the briefing texts, and of course can be removed in the same way. But yes it can only be done in the editor.

P

A 'tagged' piece BMP art would have an added ending in brackets like "su-76m-hull [easterneurope].bmp" Tags have been in the game since CMFI. But up 'til now the use of tags was hard-coded into the game with the programmer deciding what got the tags when. In CMRT its more flexible.