Long range spotting

just took a peep through my letter box, no one there, should i open the door now??? :confused:

Depends. Do you have a way to look to see if someone is standing to the side waiting for you to open your door before they throw a grenade inside? If you don't have a trainable surveillance camera or a guard dog in the yard, your best bet is to grab a riot gun, go out the back door, and sneak around the side to see if somebody is out there. Of course, there is always the possibility that there is an MG sited to cut you down as you come around the corner. Maybe you should play it safe and just call down some artillery to lay down some WP to sanitize the area. Life is such a crap shoot.

:(

Michael

Depends. Do you have a way to look to see if someone is standing to the side waiting for you to open your door before they throw a grenade inside? If you don't have a trainable surveillance camera or a guard dog in the yard, your best bet is to grab a riot gun, go out the back door, and sneak around the side to see if somebody is out there. Of course, there is always the possibility that there is an MG sited to cut you down as you come around the corner. Maybe you should play it safe and just call down some artillery to lay down some WP to sanitize the area. Life is such a crap shoot.

:(

Michael

Right ho Micheal, i,ll try sending our 13 yr old Labrador out first, will take him a bit of time tho, cos his back legs are going, but if he doesn,t get it, it should be safe. I only want to put the milk bottle,s out!!! :eek:

What superior optics does the commander have that he can't use while unbuttoned? Buttoned up he lacks all peripheral vision, so spotting new targets should take longer.

Jy8tEZE.jpg

That was kind of my question Sergei. Modern AFVs I'd keep buttoned but did WWII era ones have anything similar.

So would we have a situation where if you expect long range contacts to the front of the AFV would it be worth being buttoned, whereas if you have no such expectation you're better to be unbuttoned so you have better all-round SA?

With the front door situation, I'd just use my short range porch mortar - why take chances?

Other Means,

Up. As high as possible. If you do some looking (inadvertent joke), you can find a pic of a U.S. TC standing atop the turret roof of his Sherman in Normandy so he can peer into the next hedgerow. I particularly like the one (Stalingrad, maybe) where the Panzer IV TC is standing on the edges of the near vertical ears of his split hatch. He's way up there and obviously has better balance than I ever had.

LOS is a function of elevation, as you can see for yourself from this little online horizon calculator.

http://members.home.nl/7seas/radcalc.htm

Since I don't know the height of the episcope, and binos would be used for long range spotting anyway in most German tanks, let's say the TC's eyeballs are 3 meters off the ground with his head out of the open hatch. With an observer elevation of 3 meters (IV is 2.68 or 2.7 in sig figs high), the calculator shows the TC's visual horizon/maximimum LOS is 6.186 or 6.2 km. Now, if we raise those eyeballs 2 meters more (1.8 m TC + hatch ear add-on), the new horizon/LOS is 7.986 or 8 km. A worthwhile improvement!

Mind, these are how far he can theoretically see. Target detection AKA Spotting is something else again, and I've previously provided extracts from and links to studies done by and for the U.S. miiltary on that topic. Even so, I think that such things as 5 km 88 engagements on massed Russian armor or Chally kills from around the same range are now understandable, yet are still Direct Fire engagements. All it takes are sharp eyes, great optics, a suitable weapon and above all, LOS friendly terrain.

I suspect you have this notion of great TC optics based on such things as the TC hunter-killer sights on such tanks as the Abrams, LeClerc and others. Those not only feature powerful optics but thermal imaging and laser rangefinding as well. Such sights are in a different universe from what we're discussing here.

Michael Emrys,

On what basis do you determine whether or not your camera is trainable? Does it come when you call it, or is merely shaking hands (quite a feat, that) sufficient?

Sergei,

Nice pic. Is it a still from that Seelowe Heights footage?

Regards,

John Kettler

Michael Emrys,

On what basis do you determine whether or not your camera is trainable? Does it come when you call it, or is merely shaking hands (quite a feat, that) sufficient?

I always found it of interest that on a Bofors crew two men were required to aim the gun. One was called the pointer and the other the trainer. I guess the trainer was that to make sure the pointer didn't flush the birds too soon.

Michael

Seems counter productive. Up gives you the best SA, but surely buttoned means you have access to better optics?

Not necessarily. In some tanks there was a magnified periscope or similar for the tc, but not all. And Tcs usually carried binoculars, so they would have magnified optics to use when buttoned that weren't necessarily any worse than what was mounted on the tank.

Also, as I've commented before, I spend a lot of time looking through magnified optics doing wildlife photography, and IME magnified optics are most useful for confirming and identifying. Initial spotting is usually better done with the Mk. 1 eyeball. You look around with the naked eye until something catches your attention, at which point you use your optics to get a better look.

Scanning through high-power optics is actually very disorienting; it's very easy to "get lost" visually doing this.

So would we have a situation where if you expect long range contacts to the front of the AFV would it be worth being buttoned, whereas if you have no such expectation you're better to be unbuttoned so you have better all-round SA?

No, I don't see why. I'm not aware of any WW2 tanks where the commander could access long range optics from his seat without at least partially opening his hatch - it's the gunner that possesses the best optics in the AFV, and those are already facing toward the front.

eRNGjkt.jpg

Buttoned or not? It's not always that clear cut!

Standard bino for U.S. forces was the M3, which was 6x30 -- 6x magnification, 30mm front element (all other things being equal, larger front element = better low light performance). Fairly mediocre, though bear in mind anything higher than 8x is difficult to hand-hold -- you generally need something to stabilize the optics beyond this as otherwise the image will be very shaky.

I don't know for certain if the official issue for tank commanders was the M3 6x30; it's possible they got something else. But I've seen lots of images of U.S. tcs using these, so I think probably this is what most tcs had.