"Last Defense" is entirely too much like a real war.

I played this one, sometime ago. It's an excellent scenario, even against the computer AI it has a compelling quality that draws the players interest. Perhaps that's because the combat phase is preceded by phases for recon and then maneouvre; the suspense timing is good, not too early but not too slow and ample time to carry through the players plan once the fighting starts.

took this for a run last night after checking this thread.

Excellent job Mark and I think the enhancements in 2.12 have probably made it even better. My highlights - close combat assault to take out the Tiger (sheer desperation, it was destroying my defenses) followed by another close assault that immobilized one of the StuGs. I ended up with a minor defeat and was happy enough with that for a first run through. Great tension in this one.

Even better as a budding designer I think this is a great one to pick apart in the editor to learn how you put it together. The AI plan is really good.

My gripe with this scenario was that the German attack is funneled into kill zones by the the solid wall of gap-less Low Bocage protecting the town. It struck me as artificial so I posted about it. Two years ago. So, motivated by this thread, I fired it up again. Now... the LB tiles show gaps. Hmmm...

So thumbs up on its present state.

When I first started reading your post I was like funnel, what funnel? It makes sense when you read the whole post.

Spoiler

I eventually pulled out something resembling a draw when my reinforcing tank destroyers caught the Tiger In the town in an unfavorable configuration relative to some buildings. But my forces on the town side of the river were essentially gone. Perhaps the most interesting thing about the whole deal though was the extremely poor morale state of the Germans when I checked at the end. If I could have given them one big push they might of just rolled up. I was fresh out of push, however.

I do think the scenario is an excellent showcase for the game engine. Playing on elite I never even got a sniff of the German forward observer that was ruining my day. He seemed to have access to all the mortar ammo west of the Rhine

Yep.

Currently the second time as Germans. First time was year or so ago. Don't remember how I did back then, but it is an ok scenario to play. (Except for those sdfkz-gunners; they're dead as soon as they come within the sights of an enemy. No fun, and still gives me a "buggy" feel.)

Nice map, good force distribution, different approaches, enjoyable.

Really good scenario. Played it as Axis against AI. The AI kept me at bay until the very last moments. I had an extremely tense cat-and-mouse hunt with my Tiger stalking the US tank destroyers around the buildings in town, eventually knocking out all the AI armor. Then I did a halftrack charge on the flank and got into town. I was amazed that worked.

It took 10 minutes of OT for me to swing a victory. That Tiger commander literally ran amok.

Very tense battle. I thought it was put together very well - the AI was counterattacking my ridge-line at one point.

Heinrich505

I played h2h as the Americans and got slaughtered. I'm now playing against the AI.

I had a Bazooka team get 2 hits against the Tiger at point blank range from the side and it penetrated but didn't stop it. They got blown up by the rampaging Tiger.

Its now backed up against some Forrest and my AT team used up its rifle grenades and are furiously heaving grenades against the tiger. One bounced off and exploded injuring the thrower.

I think they are so close the Tiger can't depress the cannon to shoot them.