Current pricing model and some suggested improvements

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tempestzzzz,

Back in the Italian pics thread, there's a Gustav Line site in which there are pics of an all female partisan band and another of a male band in which one of the men is carrying, so help me, an FG-42! Since it runs on standard rifle/MG ammo, feeding it isn't a problem. Now, if it were an StG-44...

Regards,

John Kettler

BFC is getting plenty of publicity and eyeballs on the brand with CM:Touch.

Its funny how discussion of the pricing model never argues for higher prices. There was a medical study awhile ago. Some people were given a pill and paid $1, others were given the same pill and paid $20 for it. The patients paying more had better outcomes. It was psychological, people just assume a cheap pill must not be very effective. Expensive pill = placebo effect. If CM was half the price it is you'd have half the respect for it. CM:Touch costs five bucks and though its (apparently) selling like hotcakes nobody's bothering to frequent the discussion site! Why? Because its a $5 game.

Taking any sort of placebo effect from a medical scenario and putting it directly into the psychology of trading specifically in gaming is wrong.

Most consumers of medication do not have the knowledge to understand why their medicines are working, therefore it is a system based on belief. There have been large numbers of placebo based testing which have for the most part seen a definite trend in positive reactions to medication regardless if chemically speaking it has any effect.

Games are very different. Consumers are able to judge their enjoyment very easily, so therefore decisions as to the "quality" of the game they have just played are actually much closer to the true nature of the game than one might think. This system is therefore based on personal experience and knowledge rather than a belief in "the system". I know I have purchased a $40 game and been very dissapointed, whereas I have enjoyed several >5$ games. I do not go into a purchase expecting a game to be better purely because it costs more, and I highly doubt you do too. You may be confusing this with estimated game content, which is different.

Didn't search the string but did anyone suggest just a module with military/partisan units. No need for map. Love to make a battle with Italian or Yugoslav partisans with their mix of weapons.

Couldnt you, in theory, just make a mod and take some of the civillian models of CMSF and replace the italian models in CMFI with them? Maybe Mords CMSF Civil War Mod could maybe be modifyed to work with CMFI too, basically just by renaming the files properly. They could pose as Yugoslavian partisans, for example. Make their skin a bit more pale and they could be used as Italians in civillian colthing. I love Red vs. Red engagements in CMSF, i would definately play scenarios in CMFI involving partisans too.

Couldnt you, in theory, just make a mod and take some of the civillian models of CMSF and replace the italian models in CMFI with them? Maybe Mords CMSF Civil War Mod could maybe be modifyed to work with CMFI too, basically just by renaming the files properly. They could pose as Yugoslavian partisans, for example. Make their skin a bit more pale and they could be used as Italians in civillian colthing. I love Red vs. Red engagements in CMSF, i would definately play scenarios in CMFI involving partisans too.

No, unfortunately, you can't. The models are completely different, and the skins wrap around them in wierd ways. I know this because i tried it. Plus the way the mdr (?...can't recall if it's " mdr" or some other acronym) files place accoutrements would be pretty goofy.

Taking any sort of placebo effect from a medical scenario and putting it directly into the psychology of trading specifically in gaming is wrong.

Most consumers of medication do not have the knowledge to understand why their medicines are working, therefore it is a system based on belief. There have been large numbers of placebo based testing which have for the most part seen a definite trend in positive reactions to medication regardless if chemically speaking it has any effect.

Games are very different. Consumers are able to judge their enjoyment very easily, so therefore decisions as to the "quality" of the game they have just played are actually much closer to the true nature of the game than one might think. This system is therefore based on personal experience and knowledge rather than a belief in "the system". I know I have purchased a $40 game and been very dissapointed, whereas I have enjoyed several >5$ games. I do not go into a purchase expecting a game to be better purely because it costs more, and I highly doubt you do too. You may be confusing this with estimated game content, which is different.

MikeyD I think you have been slapped down by a medical testing grog. :D

MikeyD I think you have been slapped down by a medical testing grog. :D

Marketing is very complex and the pricing perception issue is present in all products to a greater or lesser degree. If Mercedes came out with a car that cost $12000 to buy new then people would do a double take and think there was something wrong with it even if it was built to the same quality standards as their other vehicles.

Regardless, when it comes to Combat Mission the only thing that matters is if the pricing is set correctly vs the target market. If it's too high then not enough people will buy it and if it's set too low then it doesn't matter how many buy it because the income won't cover the expenses. So if the current level of sales is such that expenses are being covered then the current pricing model is the correct one. I'm going to take a guess and say that many / most of the people who buy combat mission games are working professionals who can afford the price of the game at the price it is set at. Steve has also said that this particular market tends to have a more even distrubution of sales over several months as opposed to a huge spike on release followed by a dramatic drop off in sales. If most of your target audience has to ask mom or dad to buy it for them, then sure a lower price would probably be necessary, in which case unless the gross sales increased pretty dramatically the sales income wouldn't cover the expenses because the price isn't high enough. In other words, even though you sell more units you make less money.

If I sell 50,000 units at $100 a unit then my gross income is $5,000,000

If I sell 100,000 units at $60 a unit then my gross income is $6,000,000

If I sell 200,000 units at $30 a unit then my gross income is also $6,000,000

If I sell 150,000 units at $30 a unit then my gross income is only $4,500,000

So you see, my ability to double my sales from 100,000 to 200,000 didn't mean a thing in terms of the bottom line since my gross income is the same. So unless the increase in sales is worth it, then the reduction in price isn't worth it because your end result is the same. That's even assuming that you can double your sales by halving your price. If you gamble like that and only sell 150,000 units instead of 200,000 then you are actually losing money while at the same time selling more units than you were at $60 or even at $100. Once you have set the lowered price it becomes more difficult to reset it higher because you know with some level of certainty that you are going to lose some of those customers with the higher price.

Aircraft lessons for $6000..WOW. Here in the UK for lessons and eventually get your flying license your looking at around £15,000.

I did this comparison a while ago. The numbers were averages (and thus vary from anyone's personal experience) from web sites, etc.

Yachting.................................$200,000

Hot air balloon...........................$25,000

Keeping a horse (1 year).............$15,000

Aircraft lessons...........................$6,000

Glider lessons..............................$4,000

Golf (set and 1 year fees)..............$3,300

Going to Pub (1 year)....................$3,000

Civil War Reenacting.....................$3,000

CM (all modules at full price).............$190

Knitting..........................................$50

It does assume you own a computer and most would run CM.

As you can see CM is a relative steal for a hobby. The alternative is that one could knit.