FoW, 'Please, sir, I want some more".

It is great with the release of GL, not knowing so much about enemy units on higher difficulty levels.

But with regard to vehicle penetrations hit text, there is no choice between seeing all penetrations and seeing none.

I suggest a on higher difficulty levels, by default, only friendly hit penetration text is shown

I don't bother with the text. I figure I can look at my own vehicle to see it's state. The text gets in the way of screenshots. :D

As an aside I just had a bazooka team take out an mg in a bunker. I had to sidle my way up to it to make sure everyone was dead as the bunker was still intact. Gotta love that. I was cringing just waiting for one guy to pop up and mow down my team.

FWIW, it's possible to have penetrations that do no damage even to a weakly-armored vehicle. In fact I think these are pretty common. I frequently get penetration messages that do nothing but spook the crew a little.

I no longer take the "penetration" message as anything other than an indication that the weapon in question got a good hit (something the gunner could probably tell much of the time anyway).

I also love the new extended FOW but it would be even better if MG and mortar info wasent displayed at all time.

Because these weapons possess unmistakable sound signatures? My question is why they reveal HQ units under the new FOW regime. Their radios? In that case FO teams should be exhibited as well, no?

Sorry, nay from me, too. The red text - well, that's the single most satisfying/agonizing moment in the game. May sound strange but the red text is by now hard wired in my brain with either joy or despair. I don't want to miss it - that would take a lot out of the game for me.

For FoW I would prefer all heavy weapons show as their icon as spotted, and the inclusion of the MG FoW icon in elite. The reason why is it just saves having to click on that enemy icon which shows it in the center GUI panel anyways. Other than that I like the new elite better now as it shows the ATG icon instead of generic infantry. Basicly I would like MG's, and mortar to show like ATG guns do now in elite.

Because these weapons possess unmistakable sound signatures? My question is why they reveal HQ units under the new FOW regime. Their radios? In that case FO teams should be exhibited as well, no?

Sure in most cases you would probably know regarding mg and mortars but in the game Im currently playing I saw trucks speeding across the map. Klicking on the on board in in I instantly knew that they were mortat/mg units. The new FOW is a big step forward anyway.

I would guess that this all has something to do with vehicles and their info display. Its shown in the same place in the UI has the MG/mortar/hq. It might not be easy to have some of them be hidden and others shown.

Regarding the hit text.. Im with poesel on this one, so yes, I want them to show :)

Simple request yay or neah?

Do you want enemy hit penetration text disabled on elite and iron modes?

yay, but only if we get ricochet/penetration decals in exchange for that.

Like that:

hc3a1ttc3a9r2.jpg

you can clearly distinguish between hits that penetrated and hits that didnt penetrate.

As far as hit text goes the option to have it on, or not is already is there so one can have the preference to use it or not. Having it this way gives options. The more options the better since many people have different taste. If one thinks it is desired to have them off they can. One can play without any play aids at all even no icons if they like. Agree with an opponent if you want to play with no icons, no hit text, no camera above level one, no disappearing trees, no moving the camera to enemy positions. The freedom is up to the two players if they want to play in triple, super master, expert, titanium, grog mode ;). It's all about options. I like the hit text so I play with it on no matter what setting. From a RTS stand point they are needed to help keep situational awareness from being more frustrating than it needs to be so one can focus on commanding the whole at one time.

And hit decals would be cool.

As far as hit text goes the option to have it on, or not is already is there so one can have the preference to use it or not....

That is incorrect. Currently we have the option of either showing friendly & enemy hit text or neither. I wish to have the option for only friendly to better maintain FoW.

I would like to see FOW extended to the terrain. The benefits of this are as follows:

Sound contacts would be more realistic and less absolute.

Deformation of terrain (ie ... broken fences / walls or hedge breaches would not telegraph the enemy advance unless observed.

Having FOW terrain would make it easier for the player to determine terrain relief since you will immediately be able to see what your units cant see.

Scouting/Patrolling would become more realistic as your scouts moved further away from friendly units. This would give a more isolated feeling as the visible terrain closes around them. Also if scouting in advance of a friendly movement, you would be able to determine quickly if your scouts have advanced outside the view of follow on or supporting units.

The 2D map can be provided in game as a pop up map to simulate a field commanders paper map.

Of course I acknowledge that a system like this would be a major overhaul and could be too CPU intensive to properly implement

That is incorrect. Currently we have the option of either showing friendly & enemy hit text or neither. I wish to have the option for only friendly to better maintain FoW.

I don't think that this is very realistic: tankers could usually tell if they got a penetration because they could see what they were looking at, usually with magnification. There were also (often? always?) tracers in the shells that would let them know if something bounced off. If you read reports, tankers usually know if they got a penetration or not.

It might be more realistic if the marker that shows when a tank is knocked were disabled - particularly in those cases where you get a penetration, the crew dismounts, but the tank is actually fine and the crew can remount once their morale recovers.

It might be more realistic if the marker that shows when a tank is knocked were disabled - particularly in those cases where you get a penetration, the crew dismounts, but the tank is actually fine and the crew can remount once their morale recovers.

Something along these lines already happens. AT weapons will sometimes continue firing at destroyed targets because they can't yet tell that they have been destroyed. True, it's possible to see that a vehicle hasn't been destroyed, even though a crew bailing might seem to suggest that it's hors de combat, so you know to keep firing on it until the base colour changes, but it certainly seems to be historical standard practice to keep pumping rounds into even abandoned vehicles until they show definite signs of not being in running order any more.

Something along these lines already happens. AT weapons will sometimes continue firing at destroyed targets because they can't yet tell that they have been destroyed.

Yep, not being able to tell a tank has been destroyed is modeled. I posted recently that I was concerned that a PzIV had survived a crazy number of penetrating hits at close range. Investigation showed that the tank was destroyed by my Sherman did not know that and continued firing. This was in thick woods and the PzIV did not catch fire so it made total sense that the buttoned up Sherman would not be sure if the tank was destroyed or not.