Bug: MG deployment in buildings (Gustav)

I have multiple MG teams attempting to deploy in buildings. For some of these teams it is over 6 WeGo turns and counting and they are still not deployed (two members of the team, it says "deploying" for their status).

I never noticed this before the Gustav module. BFC, any plans to address this? (I have saved game files I can send).

In the meantime, any help or workarounds for this would be much appreciated. Is there any way I can get them teams to "reset" and start over or something, so the guns will deploy in the usual 2-minute timeframe? This is an H2H game I'm playing and I really need these guns to start firing! thanks!

I am in the beginning of Men with Suspicious Hats.

There are 4 HMG units and one HMG Team.

I am noticing the same thing. I have a Fallschirmjager HMG Team, deploy time says 2.3M {?} whereas an HMG deploy time is 10 seconds?

I moved the Team into a building, after 2.3 minutes (3 turns) still not deployed. Stopped saying "deploying" and it is still semi-deployed.

I am in the beginning of Men with Suspicious Hats.

There are 4 HMG units and one HMG Team.

I am noticing the same thing. I have a Fallschirmjager HMG Team, deploy time says 2.3M {?} whereas an HMG deploy time is 10 seconds?

I moved the Team into a building, after 2.3 minutes (3 turns) still not deployed. Stopped saying "deploying" and it is still semi-deployed.

Mmmm ... wasnt this an issue that cropped up in normandy a while back ?

BDW, if the teams are interrupted, the deploy starts anew. I've run MANY teams in MANY different situations and they have always, eventually, deployed.

You're trying to simulate a STABLE platform being created in a room. There are variables.

Let us know if it never works.

Ken

Thanks for the insight Ken. A couple of the teams have finally deployed (after about 7-8 WeGo turns). However, another couple teams are still deploying and it has been 10+ turns and counting. I wonder what could be interrupting them? I'll keep a close eye and see if they are taking any fire or whatnot, and try to figure that out.

But why does the deployment time change from 20 seconds outside a building to 2+ minutes inside the building??

Are they sweeping the floor, opening windows?! Doesn't make sense...

The height of the weapon on the tripod may not align exactly with the window or opening you are attempting to fire out of.

But why does the deployment time change from 20 seconds outside a building to 2+ minutes inside the building??

Are they sweeping the floor, opening windows?! Doesn't make sense...

A deployed weapon implies a STABLE foundation, capable of FULL utilization of the weapon. Try to set up a stable gun platform (say, 2' x 3') with materials at hand in any of your rooms, such that a weapon would be a few feet back of the window and at a height such that it could fire reasonably close to the structure. I'll time you: GO!

A couple of chairs, back to back, with a kitchen table upside down on top? Well, first you've got to rip the legs off the kitchen table. Then, when the whole thing falls down, you've got to go grab another chair. What, the height is too low? Fine, add a few sofa cushions. Hmm, too pliant. Can't hold on target with that. Toss them aside and grab a coffee table to put on top of the inverted kitchen table. What, one of the chairs just toppled over? Okay, put it upright. Now, how's it looking? Rocks a bit too much? Sofa cushion UNDER the table, quick!

How long did that take? Yes, counting the time it took to run up and down to the kitched to fetch the various pieces of furniture.

Propping a machinegun barrel on a windowsill would be partially deployed AND carries the added bonus of being an excellent technique to make yourself a target for everyone who can see the window.

The 2+ minute deployment time is somewhat generous.

Ken

Conversely, why would an exterior location be any more "stable" than inside a building?

"You put the tripod down, as soon as the extra weight of the gun is layed on top, one leg sinks into the mud. You scurry around for rocks to place underneath the leg, then the rock crumbles cos it's not solid but like road base. Then you find that your LOS is obscured by a particularly thick part of hedge, or a tree trunk, so, you..."

Not sure how you can claim that so easily. One could argue it's easier to fix that sort of issue in a house which tends to have lots of stable square boxy items than in the field full of squishy misshapen objects. Just saying...

Until we hear from a BF programmer that they really made setting up a MG in a house deliberately more difficult, I find this rather hard to believe.

Conversely, why would an exterior location be any more "stable" than inside a building?

I am no MG gunner but as a landscape photographer (hobby) I have setup a lot of tripods outdoors (with as much as 10 plus pounds of camera and lens on top). It is usually trivial to get a stable footing. All I might have to do is turn a few degrees if I don't like what the feet are on. Worst case scenario move over a meter or less.

Fair enuff... So you are positively confirming that BF deliberately programmed a very slow set up in a building vs exterior, and that it's not just a bug?

Well thats the point ... some here seem to be drawing an awful lot of conclusions about something which may just be a bug.

Fair enuff... So you are positively confirming that BF deliberately programmed a very slow set up in a building vs exterior, and that it's not just a bug?

2.3 minute setup inside buildings is not a bug. Repeating the 2.3 minute setup process several times, very rarely for the duration of the scenario, is an occasional bug.

Tripods have three independently adjustable legs. But the tripods I'm familiar with, especially US tripods, don't extend their legs high enough to shoot out the average window. And to shoot in anything other than a flat or rising trajectory, one has to get the tripod even higher. This means "building up" a platform to shoot off of. And that platform can't be a random collection of the nearest bits and bobs that happen to be lying about. One needs something fairly substantial that won't fall apart as soon as the recoil of the gun travels down the legs.

So nope, setting up inside isn't nearly as quick and easy as setting up a tripod out in the open.

Steve

I recall reading a number of US soldiers' war memoirs from NW Europe where they talk about piling furniture, desks, scavaged shutters, sandbags, and all sorts of junk to try and prop a MG in a house window and make a decent embrasure for it.

You can bet that wouldn't have been accomplished in 2, 3, or even 5 minutes of time. So if we want the realism of being able to deploy MGs indoors, I think we also should accept a longer time to deploy it than our twitchy computer game nerves tend to tolerate (provided the darned thing does eventually deploy, of course).

OK, so is 12 minutes (and counting) to deploy MG in a building NOT a bug? If so, then I embrace the realism and picture my guys gathering up furniture to build a platform. If not, then I'll continue to be frustrated until it is patched.

OK, so is 12 minutes (and counting) to deploy MG in a building NOT a bug? If so, then I embrace the realism and picture my guys gathering up furniture to build a platform. If not, then I'll continue to be frustrated until it is patched.

Obviously it seems off. However, what is happening to the men? Any saves?

Ken