Fog Of War changes in GL

Can someone please state what the exact changes to FOW are in regards to relative spotting and how the FOW CLAMP works now in GL specific to each difficulty setting in the game.

As always, apologies of this has been covered elsewhere, but I can’t find it if it has… and yes I did look 

Thanks in advance.

My experience is it has absolutely no impact on spotting. It simply changes the amount of information the player gets on units they have spotted. The higher the level of difficulty the less information you get. At Elite and above for infantry formations you only get pretty much what you can see. You will still get some info on weapons team formations, but that info no longer says anything organizational. If you split up a squad for example, your opponent no longer knows that so assessing the state of your force, it's potential size or components is much much harder now.

The best bet is to simply create a basic scenario and put the units on a map then try launching that scenario in different difficulty levels. You know right away what the differences are and the level of FOW that appeals to you.

This is what I found in doing that.

Basic Setting - you pretty much know their entire personal life

Veteran Icons show unit type. Specific members within unit, but not unit organizational info

Warrior Unit type icons still visible, but no member or organizational detail

Elite and Iron Generic icons, no info. If you want to know it is a HQ, you need to see the radio guy or maybe binoculars. (you can still select a unit and see it is some HQ type, but for those hard core ones who don't want to know, don't select the unit.)

I personally like Elite. I really like not being sure if that team running across the field was a scout, sniper, BAR team, AT team or what. All I know is what weapons did I see them carrying and maybe I can guess, hey wait did that guy have a radio?! Is he an FO or HQ team?

Yes, a terrific but surprisingly unheralded "little" change that a lot of people have been requesting for a very long time.

Being able to decipher enemy OOB info at a glance sort of defeated the purpose of "fog of war." "Oh, it's an AT ammo bearing team. Hmmm. There must be an AT gun near that position. Time to dial-up some arty."

I happily boosted-up my difficulty from "warrior" to "elite" to take full advantage of this great new addition.

I'm looking forward to it being included with the upcoming MG module for CMBN.

I shied away from "iron" for some time. Having bitten the bullet, so to speak, I will not go back. If you like the new FOW as it applies to the enemy, try Iron.

Ken

Could someone clarify exactly what is the difference between Elite and Iron now? Is it more than (on Iron) not being able to see friendly units out of LOS of the currently selected friendly?

Thanks!

That's pretty much it. The ability to select a friendly unit and see which other friendlies they can see allows you to understand their flow of information and any possible support. It's a very minor change, seemingly.

Iron has always worked like that. I think he was wondering if there is any difference in amount of enemy unit information given between Iron and Elite.

That's pretty much it. The ability to select a friendly unit and see which other friendlies they can see allows you to understand their flow of information and any possible support. It's a very minor change, seemingly.

Thanks. I was wondering if anything had changed.

The change discussed in this thread (removal of enemy OOB info from spotting) is actually not mentioned in the readme.

EDIT: And, by the way, I am *thrilled* by this change and have been wanting it since CMSF was released!

And, by the way, I am *thrilled* by this change and have been wanting it since CMSF was released!

Yes, this is awesome! Thank you thank you.

I am playing my first battle on my usual Warrior and it is soo much better. Next I will try Elite again. Not a fan of iron (and I always have on PBEM game going on Iron because that opponent really likes it).