Hide command and when they attack...

What I thought would happen was that I put a lone AT team in a nice ambush location in a PBEM game, sure enough the enemy sent a tank there, while hiding I faced towards the enemy and it drove by nearly 50 meters but my AT team never did anything, now i have it up and running to catch up to the tank and shot it in the rear...

Aren't they suppose to engage when in range, even while hiding...or am I wrong on something?

thx

In most situations, when you are setting up an ambush, as long as there is good cover in your setup area it's better to just give units a Cover Arc and not hide them.

The "Hide" order in CM seems to represent a "go fully prone and try to remain unspotted at all costs" SOP, so units on Hide are very well concealed, but also have very poor spotting ability. Think of soldiers fully prone, becoming intimately familiar with the dirt under their noses. Every once in a while, a member of the team will look up briefly, but this only provides the barest minimum of situational awareness.

In comparison, units without a Hide order maintain good situational awareness; as long as they have good cover/concealment and are not shooting or moving, they're still pretty hard to spot (especially small units like infantry AT teams). So a Hide order is usually unnecessary to a good ambush setup.

Personally, I mostly use the Hide order to tell infantry units to go prone and stay prone when I think there's about to be incoming artillery/mortar fire -- Hiding will usually considerably reduce casualties from this type of incoming fire.

The "Hide" order in CM seems to represent a "go fully prone and try to remain unspotted at all costs" SOP, so units on Hide are very well concealed, but also have very poor spotting ability.

Yes, but a hiding Bazooka team ought to hear an approaching panzer, right? And they're peeking' anyway. I favor my idea™ of giving a Hiding unit a functioning CA at the expense of slightly reduced concealment. And it poses no insurmountable programming challenges. I think. ;)

Yeah... this lack of suitable "Ambush" capability like we had in CM1 has been throughly discussed every few months.

The problem is that when not hiding the "ambushing" troops are usually easily seen by moving tanks (which seem to have way more spotting capability than in RL), and advancing inf.

And as said above, when hiding, your inf will have very little situational awareness and usually will be run or walked over and shot in the backs by advancing enemy.

Yes, you would have thought ambushing inf would hear a tank and feel the vibrations of the ground.

I think often the problem with "ambushing" teams getting spotted stems from players expecting too much of the terrain. It's vital to remember that terrain is 1:1. medium grass under some trees is emphatically not "wooded" terrain as it is in most games. You need some brush or long grass to hide prone truppen, and more concealment yet to hide kneeling ones.

I think often the problem with "ambushing" teams getting spotted stems from players expecting too much of the terrain. It's vital to remember that terrain is 1:1. medium grass under some trees is emphatically not "wooded" terrain as it is in most games. You need some brush or long grass to hide prone truppen, and more concealment yet to hide kneeling ones.

+1 on that. Concealment vs cover vs player perception based on prior games (especially CMx1) seems to be a big factor here.

Yes, but a hiding Bazooka team ought to hear an approaching panzer, right? And they're peeking' anyway. I favor my idea™ of giving a Hiding unit a functioning CA at the expense of slightly reduced concealment. And it poses no insurmountable programming challenges. I think. ;)

I fully believe the soldiers are totally deaf in CM...my bug bear.

Soldiers in CM are not deaf. Sound contacts are proof of that. Dismounted infantry can hear vehicles moving from more than 100m away. Tanks will rotate themselves towards them if it is a "tank" contact but that is the limit of TacAI reaction to sound that I have seen.

I think his point was that if hiding behind a wall you'd hear and feel a tank on the other side and would pop up and fire. Right now, units hiding do almost nothing.

And if your inf are behind a wall and not hiding, the chances that a tank racing past will see em and shoot first.

I think his point was that if hiding behind a wall you'd hear and feel a tank on the other side and would pop up and fire. Right now, units hiding do almost nothing.

And if your inf are behind a wall and not hiding, the chances that a tank racing past will see em and shoot first.

Correct..also when the man next to them gets shot and they just carry on..neither seeing or hearing the gun shot. Very obvious in forest fighting.

Please not another command.

If there is a cover arc and a hide command, IMO this IS ambush and should work as ambush.

A hide command without a cover arc means all heads down and only minimal spotting - very similar like it is now.

And a hide command with a cover arc of a unit that has not moved, also means ambush, but should give the unit a huge camouflage bonus, if it is in woods or bushes.

The only issue I've had lately ambushing armor was somewhat self inflicted. I put a target Armor CA on a unit. They did exactly as I'd asked and fired a PF at an approaching scout car. The round exploded beneath the vehicle immobilizing it and causing the passengers to bail...this is where I screwed up. I knew the vehicle was coming and I knew it had passengers...what I should have done was changed to a standard CA.

The result was the passengers bailed and my guys just sat their and watched em... Fortunately the enemy infantry were so freaked out from the PF I was able to remove the CA on the next turn while they were still pinned at which point my two landser went to town. Hopefully I will remember that lesson.

Please not another command.

If there is a cover arc and a hide command, IMO this IS ambush and should work as ambush.

A hide command without a cover arc means all heads down and only minimal spotting - very similar like it is now.

And a hide command with a cover arc of a unit that has not moved, also means ambush, but should give the unit a huge camouflage bonus, if it is in woods or bushes.

Didn't know it works like that! Seriously? My my, looks like it's time for my gaming knowledge upgrade...