what do you think. is spotting of fortifications to easy?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the saves. I see the problem in your replay save, but oddly loading the command phase save from before and playing from there does not show the problem (I think the fortifications are spotted too quickly, but they are definitely revealed in increments, not all at once). However, I started the scenario over on my own, skipped through to turn 15 and saw the same problem (every fortification within LOS of the tanks appears to be instantly revealed during the first second of the turn replay). Definitely something off, but need to narrow it down more.

There may need to be some tweaking, but first we have to establish a baseline of what is the average spotting distance of fighting positions.

If you look at field manuals, you see that infantrymen go to great length to hide their positions, including making them nearly invisible from the enemy's line of advance, relying instead on 'keyholing" and interlocking fields of fire from other positions to cover their front, i.e.:

figb15.gif

figb16.gif

figb18.gif

figb36.gif

figb41.gif

If you setup foxholes in game using the same principles, they are much harder to spot.

No they are not. The above screenshots spot them in the middle of what should be concealment, in fact the ones in the screenshot are entirely concealed without keyholes for shooting.

you really have no clue what I am talking about, do you?

I can suggest some very basic material on RL defensive positions, if you wish.

you really have no clue what I am talking about, do you?

I can suggest some very basic material on RL defensive positions, if you wish.

Awaiting your screenshots of how your model positions don't get spotted in a situation similar to the screenshots already posted.

ETA: or maybe I misunderstood and ASL Vet is right?

Camoflagued fortifications (and camouflague of stationary positions in general) could be abstracted by camo nets a players could buy and then put onto the same action spot as the fortification or something else he wants to be hard to spot. They would give a similar camoflague bonus as wooden terrain but without limiting the field of view of the units inside. I think that could be pretty cool.

Just a random thought i had.

cmnormandy2013012423160.jpg

Here you go. Open terrain, US troops are 150 meters from 4 german positions/foxholes. The only obstacle is a 1 meter berm in front of each position. The front of each German position is protected by enfilade fire from the other three. Standard by the book defensive position.

Do you see the foxholes?

Do you see the foxholes?

Doesn't matter because you can see the berms. ;) But yeah, fortifications that are not in LOS at all won't be spotted.

I think the question is how quickly should fortifications that are within LOS but partially obscured or placed in tiles that should should provide good concealment be seen, especially given that the 3D size of the fortifications significantly exceeds what would be typical in the real world.

There is also the issue that was highlighted in the Omaha save posted, which appears to be a situational bug of some sort that complicates the question.

Doesn't matter because you can see the berms. ;) But yeah, fortifications that are not in LOS at all won't be spotted.

I think the question is how quickly should fortifications that are within LOS but partially obscured or placed in tiles that should should provide good concealment be seen, especially given that the 3D size of the fortifications significantly exceeds what would be typical in the real world.

There is also the issue that was highlighted in the Omaha save posted, which appears to be a situational bug of some sort that complicates the question.

btw this bug was also noticeable in the second mission of courage and fortitude

i think foxhole spotting is quite ok now - maybe terrain should have more influence on visibility

what worries me more is trench spotting as shown in my first screenshot

Agreed, but again it is a question of comparing apples with apples. Fortifications do not have an inherent cloaking device. You look at RL tactical situations where fortifications were very hard to spot and you see the defenders went out of their way to achieve that result.

btw, a 1 meter high berm very much blends in with the terrain. ;)

ok did the same test with trenches and they are spotted from great distances regardless of terrain. i even put the spotting units on the same height level as the trenches here you can see the result after one minute in heavy forest:

beweisrruit.jpg

I tried to replicate your test, but on a map with heavy undergrowth & trees, none of my troops can spot any trenches until they are within 30 meters.

I presume your map has the forest undergrowth, but no trees? That would explain the spotting distances.

I tried to replicate your test, but on a map with heavy undergrowth & trees, none of my troops can spot any trenches until they are within 30 meters.

I presume your map has the forest undergrowth, but no trees? That would explain the spotting distances.

ok i thought maybe you are right and my test was a bit artificial. so i put the trenches in a treeline. the distance in the first minute was about 600 meters. They could not spot the trenches. so i let the us troops run 100 meters. after they reached their destination they could spot not all but maybe half of the trenches.

treelinemyf8s.jpg

ok i thought maybe you are right and my test was a bit artificial. so i put the trenches in a treeline. the distance in the first minute was about 600 meters. They could not spot the trenches. so i let the us troops run 100 meters. after they reached their destination they could spot not all but maybe half of the trenches.

treelinemyf8s.jpg

Assuming even a modicum of skill on the part of those constructing the fortifications, they should not be visible until you are almost on top of them. Clearly such items in open ground and/or on forward slopes will be a lot easier to see.

• 4 weeks later...