what do you think. is spotting of fortifications to easy?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so no official comment on this one - maybe spotting of fortifications works as intended

The way I see it 2.00 was about graphical improvement and some "new stuff" and not about combat mechanics fixes. I picked up various vibes that 3.00 will be combat mechanics fixes.

The machine gun problem was so bad that it got pulled into a 2.01 "hotfix". But that doesn't mean that the rest of the combat mechanics fixes won't be in 3.x.

Now, the question is what perceived problems are rubbed under who's nose in what way so that the most pressing problems (by some measure) get addressed first.

Wonder if maybe "experience" (in mission editor/units) could be tied as well to fortifications, so that i.e a "green" foxhole, would be rated a rather easy to spot one and with each higher EXP, more difficult (better camoed) one. Purchase costs could be varied according to EXP as well then.

"Appearance" could also get some use, by offering texture variants, so one could get rid of that WW1 appearance, supplementing with more RL life looking ones (no sandbags & planking).

The way it works is that there's about 1000 complaints about aspects of the game at any one time. Then the next month there's another 1000. You guys are, if nothing else, prolific with feedback :)

Over time we see the ones that stick around and which ones quickly fall to the bottom of the complaint bucket. We try to tackle those in an order that makes sense to us on the development side. This doesn't always make sense to you guys on the receiving end, but it's largely the best way forward with various other factors considered.

Some of the more pervasive gameplay issues are often the hardest ones to tackle. Something like MG behavior has been steadily improved since Shock Force, either through direct changes or indirect ones. The latter sometimes improves things enough short term that criticism quiets down for a while. Either because the problem seems adequately addressed or there are so many new (good) things that people kinda forget about the problems for a while. Other times the problem is pretty straight forward and isolated that it can be addressed in one or two shots with clearer success.

Cover and spotting are twin issues that are extremely difficult to balance or even diagnose issues. It's like trying to point the finger at the problems in the financial industry and deal with it in one go. The fact that it is horribly broken and not getting better is painfully obvious, but what to do is not (I think public executions of certain responsible parties would help... but I am in the minority on that). Thankfully CM hasn't secretly doubled the interest percentage rate of a loyal on time customer of 15 years then, when asked why, spit out some nonsense like "we assure you we have good reasons, though we won't tell you what they are because we don't have to".

But I digress :D

As the basics of the game engine get refined over time we get a better handle on what important (really important) stuff needs more attention. We try to tackle a few of them with each patch/release so that there is steady progress moving forward. v2.01 wound up having quite a few, but obviously there is still more work to be done in future releases.

Two things you guys can count on... the first is that there will always be things that you want changed/fixed. Second is that we always do our best to act on that feedback with each release we give you. It's what always keeps things interesting, as well as improving.

Steve

It's like trying to point the finger at the problems in the financial industry and deal with it in one go. The fact that it is horribly broken and not getting better is painfully obvious, but what to do is not

What!?!?!? I know exactly hot fix it. Oh wait you mean some kind of agreement on what to do. So far I do not think I have spoken to anyone who likes the same ideas.

(I think public executions of certain responsible parties would help... but I am in the minority on that).

LOL - tempting indeed but way to medieval

Two things you guys can count on... the first is that there will always be things that you want changed/fixed. Second is that we always do our best to act on that feedback with each release we give you. It's what always keeps things interesting, as well as improving.

Which is great - thanks.