Who plays iron difficulty?

I bounce between Iron and Warrior.

I like the spotting of Iron but I hate that every soldier icon is generic. I play WEGO so generic icons just means more tedious work for me as I go through every contact at my own pace to see what type of unit it is. I think this generic icon thing was meant to put a strain on realtime players under the stress of click click click.

I wish I could have Iron mode with the icons of Warrior mode.

I just play on Warrior as the gameplay is essentially the same as higher difficulties. I don't see how making the UI more annoying adds anything to the experience. Having generic infantry icons is pointless since you can click on any enemy unit and see exactly what it is. The spotting of friendly units thing is silly as well since there isn't friendly fire or anything, plus you always know where they all are anyway.

I like how manly the term iron is, tells me how serious you take your combat mission.

Btw, If you really want to man up for some pain, the kind that would entail never winning a single engagement, ever, in your entire life, fire up any of the following chess programs: Fritz, Rybka, Shredder, Junior or Hiarcs. ;)

I play Elite. The only "advantage" to playing Iron is the friendly troop spotting which, personally, I find a pain in the butt - every time I need to see the relationship between my selected unit and the rest of the army, I have to deselect it. The effect is the same as being able to see the rest of my army, it just takes longer to organise my plan when I have to select and deselect several times.

I should point out that I was a miniatures wargamer for many years, so not being able to see some of my own troops is anathema to me ;)

In fact, I never even tried Iron after some early experiments until recently when my opponent in a PBEM started it on Iron. Unhappy camper, lol.

I just play on Warrior as the gameplay is essentially the same as higher difficulties. I don't see how making the UI more annoying adds anything to the experience. Having generic infantry icons is pointless since you can click on any enemy unit and see exactly what it is. The spotting of friendly units thing is silly as well since there isn't friendly fire or anything, plus you always know where they all are anyway.

Ranger that is just not true.

It is harder to stay in C2 in Iron mode. MUCH harder. Thats a significant difference.

The spotting of friendly units thing is silly as well since there isn't friendly fire or anything, plus you always know where they all are anyway.

AFAIK There IS friendly fire...go play a night engagemenmt, it will happen more often there i think.

I play Elite. The only "advantage" to playing Iron is the friendly troop spotting which, personally, I find a pain in the butt - every time I need to see the relationship between my selected unit and the rest of the army, I have to deselect it. The effect is the same as being able to see the rest of my army, it just takes longer to organise my plan when I have to select and deselect several times.

If you double-click the unit, the other units in it's platoon/section/etc. are selected, regardless of LoS. Not a perfect fix for your issue, but it works for me in the planning stage. Although I rarely go above the company(+) level in CM.

Friendly fire happens only with blast damage. Friendly bullets will never damage friendly soldiers.

Not so. Friendly .50cal can and does cause casualties, and burst-charge-less gun rounds will still knock friendly blocks off. Rifle and pistol caliber bullets will cause suppression, but not casualties.

For maximum realism, download the Imperial Japanese Army mod and commit seppuku if you loose a battle as axis. Bonuspoints if you find a real samurai to behead you if you fail to do it. Double bonus points if you find someone who playes you H2H with that rule in effect.