Combat Mission Business Decisions

kump

Been gone awhile from forum, but not from CMx1 engine, played it more than any other, can't believe its been from the CMBO Demo in 2000. However, it started looking old on a 70" LED TV and I got tired of setting screen to 1600x1200 on each play session, but you just couldn't beat the best WWII tactical game ever.

My email address had changed, I didn't even know CMBN was out! CMx2 for WWII. I owned CMSF, been in my library for two years, but not played yet, no modern interest, so I bought CMBN, CW Module, and CMFI. But while waiting for ww2 based games, to break in on CMx2, I finally installed CMSF and its modules.

I was greatly surprised, 1080p immediately used, finally wide screen for CM! But more to my surprise, I loved the modern stuff on CMx2! I was even more impressed with CMBN, so without delay, CMA was ordered. I'll take anything now with CMx2. I can't believe I have to admit it, I was wrong on modern, its a blast.

So now after two months of playing, decided I'll finally post and on to the subject of this post. After so many years with CMx1, I wasn't all that happy of the business decision of Battlefront on releasing more focused time period games and modules.

I stand corrected. Brilliant plan. The result is better concentration on the period, more flavor, more attention to details. Okay, I was against, but I'm now sold, converted, admit my previous mistaken opinion.

You should be rewarded for releasing such jewels of tactical gaming goodness. And being able to purchase these games and fuel further development is more than worth it.

Its an outstanding business decision and I hope the financial results prove successful. I was very dissappointed when BF first announced the new direction, but I recant it all. BF did the right thing, and I'm rewarded by their outstanding results in CMx2, all the games.

Now the news of future cold war EF, ww2 EF, and Bulge is welcome indeed. And keep those modules coming too. I'll take it all.

I was wrong, you were right. Am I upset? Are you kidding? I'm the happiest I've ever been with a game series in my life, and don't think it will ever be topped, except for CMx3 that is.

Thanks for the early Christmas present :D

It's been a while since I've seen this particular topic brought up as we seem to have long since sorted out into CMx1 Holdouts and CMx2 Embracers. It's great to see your thoughts on this several years later. Thanks!

And yes, we do feel that the strategy has paid off for us. I don't think we'd be in the same position we are now if we had simply remade CMx1 with better graphics. I don't think we'd be out of business, but I don't think we'd have twice as much staff and the ability to make products outside of WW2.

2013 will be an interesting year for us. We are going to put to the test our theory that contemporary warfare is at least as popular as Eastern Front. My personal belief is it will best it by a decent, but not huge, margin. I for one am very curious to see how that plays out!

Steve

2013 will be an interesting year for us. We are going to put to the test our theory that contemporary warfare is at least as popular as Eastern Front. Steve

And it's the year I retire (in August)!:D I am probably not going to be anywhere but in front of my monitor for days and days on end, relishing all the BFC goodness we have now and what we'll have by then.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Steve, Charles, Phil and ? !!!!!!!!!

kump...a blast from the past. The guy that got me hooked on "subdued" CMBO mods.

Yeah, man, the stuff they got coming up along with the backward compatibility announcement...awesome. It's gonna be a killer year of CM gaming.

Mord.

Out of curiosity, whats the release order for 2013?

Market Garden, CMSF2, Eastern front?

I was wrong, you were right. Am I upset? Are you kidding? I'm the happiest I've ever been with a game series in my life, and don't think it will ever be topped, except for CMx3 that is.

Not only CM is an amazing series, but it gives me hope in the future of "video games". The way the industry has changed in the past decade was concerning to say the least. Seeing good franchises turn into generic brainless time wasters and seeing said games get widespread success. It went to a point where I wondered if there was actually a chance that intelligent/semi-serious games could still exist, let alone thrive in the current context.

But a few companies, including Battlefront, have proved that there is still room for games that have actual value, they have proved that it's still possible to succeed as a niche developer by focusing on the fanbase instead of making them endure an inferior product in order to gain new potential customers.

I'm so excited about all the games coming out next year, but sad that I will have little to no time available to play them. I'm wrapping up pharmacy school, which means one more semester of brutal classes, then I'm off for 9 months of rotations. It will probably be well into 2014 before I get a chance to really dive in. I also managed to get someone to fall in love with me recently, which I've discovered eats up what little free time I had available before.

I guess on the plus side, once I finally have time to play, I'll be able to afford picking up every single game and module available. So much CM goodness all at once might overload my brain though.

Out of curiosity, whats the release order for 2013?

Market Garden, CMSF2, Eastern front?

Well... CMSF Mac is capping off this year, that much I can tell you. :)

I'm so excited about all the games coming out next year, but sad that I will have little to no time available to play them. I'm wrapping up pharmacy school, which means one more semester of brutal classes, then I'm off for 9 months of rotations. It will probably be well into 2014 before I get a chance to really dive in. I also managed to get someone to fall in love with me recently, which I've discovered eats up what little free time I had available before.

I guess on the plus side, once I finally have time to play, I'll be able to afford picking up every single game and module available. So much CM goodness all at once might overload my brain though.

Congrats on all the good stuff, Ranger! I've found, after 100+ hour weeks, kids, and marriage, that a quick turn of CM is good for the sanity... or at least that's a plausible argument for sneaking off and playing for a half-hour. :)

Well... CMSF Mac is capping off this year, that much I can tell you. :)

Well now, that is certainly interesting. I want to be sure I'm not reading something into your words that you did not intend, but just taking them at face value, it looks like CMSF Mac is being released before the end of this very month (December). This leads to my next question, is this just a porting to the Mac of the already existing SF that came out five and a half years ago with subsequent improvements, or is this the all-new temperate European SF?

Wondering what all this means.

:confused:

Michael

Edit: Big oops for me here. I missed noticing the announcement. Oh well...

:o