FAO Battlefront. Will MG upgrade game to V2?

Hi,

As the thread says.

There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding the V2 upgrade and the upcoming CMBN modules. A few threads with different opinions.

Will the next module (MG?) upgrade to V2 automatically or do you still need to buy the V2 upgrade separately?

I'm sure I read somewhere that you would need the V2 upgrade to play the new modules which indicated to me that it would not be included in the new modules and would be a separate purchase.

I've already bought the V2 upgrade but I would have waited if it is going to be included in the MG module for "free".

Just looking for some clarity without conjecture. :)

Apologies if I have missed this info somewhere obvious.

Cheers

Yes, if you want a d/l plus disk with the 2.0 upgrade it will cost not $10, but $30, which seems a bit steep.

However, if the v2.0 will be included in the MG disk, then the $10 for the dowload 2.0 (only) would be worth it.

you are just making it more confusing - what the hell does that mean. I think the thread is for battlefront to answer - not for you to make the same point again as you have elswhere. Why the hell does anyone want a disk for the upgrade in any case.

I believe the way it works is as follows:

You can upgrade to v2.0 now for $10.00 or you can wait for the MG module to be released.

The MG module will require v2.0 so at that time you will be able to purchase the 2.0 update for $5.00 and if you already have 2.0 then you wont have to repurchase it.

So everyone will pay at least $5.00 for the 2.0 update however paying $10.00 now, allows you to have the v2.0 features in advance of the MG module.

Take it for what its worth, but I'm pretty certain that's the drill.

Hey JRMC1879 - No V2 will NOT be included with MG but will be bundled. So you can pay $10 now or $5 if you wait and bundle with MG Module. Personally I don't want to wait, it's worth five bucks to have it now. If you want a hard copy then I suggest either wait for MG module as they should ship together, or buy it now DL only and then buy again as hard copy with the MG module. Net result is you'd pay $10 more, have it now and avoid the additional shipping fee which is another $20 or so.

Yes JRMC, I want BF to answer my question. Some of us like hard copies. That's why we bought the "metal" can disk holders for CMBN and CMFI.

I just don't want to pay $30 for hard copy and d/l now, only to find that I get a hard copy with the MG game. If that is the case then of course the $10 download is worth it now. However, so far, no one seems to have the definitive answer to this. And BF hasn't responded to the question.

You know you can burn your own CD/DVD backup disk in the year of 2012, right? I have no idea why you would want to buy a "physical" copy.. other than maybe for the printed manual?

I'm not sure what the appeal is of having a hard copy from BF, other than having something "officially from BF", which I suppose has some value for some.

As for myself, I can and do make my own backups especially since BF only archives stuff for a limited amount of time.

Yes JRMC, I want BF to answer my question. Some of us like hard copies. That's why we bought the "metal" can disk holders for CMBN and CMFI.

I just don't want to pay $30 for hard copy and d/l now, only to find that I get a hard copy with the MG game. If that is the case then of course the $10 download is worth it now. However, so far, no one seems to have the definitive answer to this. And BF hasn't responded to the question.

Well yes - but the tin case was for the modules ... so you wont be able to put your upgrade disk in it in any case. Really - I cant see why you would want a hard copy of this in the least - as some one else said - you can burn to about a hundred and one things these days - so you are essentially paying BF 30 bucks to burn you a DVD. I can see some may want hard stuff for collectors sake but for this ?

And my point was - until BF answer this themselves everything else is just speculation so why clog up the thread with more of it ?

Yeah, you're right JRMC. I had assumed that anything from BF would be copy protected so I could not burn my own. But, if one can burn the 2.0 upgrade to DVD for safety that's fine. I am happy. (There is no manual or other reason to get the hard copy fo the 2.0 update from BF, correct?)

Yeah, you're right JRMC. I had assumed that anything from BF would be copy protected so I could not burn my own. But, if one can burn the 2.0 upgrade to DVD for safety that's fine. I am happy. (There is no manual or other reason to get the hard copy fo the 2.0 update from BF, correct?)

No reason at all.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but if you have the hard disc doesn't that save you from having to use up 'activations' in the event you need to reinstall the games? I've had to reinstall CMFI recently (after replacing a video card) and when I did from the physical CD I did not get asked to re-enter my activation code. Just last week I had to reinstall CMBN because something got goofed up on my system with 1.11 update and again, I did not have to use an activation code - the hard copies installed the game without having to enter the code.

Hi,

Would have been nice to get a response from BF to my question here.

I suppose the question has been answered in the other thread (rant). Pity a marching band and flag waver couldn't make it, I was enjoying seeing it descend into its usual format. ;)

Looking forward to MG and my $5 V2 cd. By supporting BF I'm helping to support them and reduce the UK deficit with the customs charges. Gives me a sense of well being at this holiday time. I like my hard goods in my hands (oh er missus !!!) so no downloads. :P

There is a hard copy of the 2.0 manual, which was also included with CMFI.

There is a physical product version of the Upgrade if you want it. Available for sale already, so I kinda thought that would be a hint :D It comes with the new "game engine" printed manual we started using with Italian Front. So it's not just a disk, which would be silly since (as others have pointed out) one can burn a disk of any Battlefront product install at any time they want. Or put it on another hard drive or a flash drive. Activations only kick in when you try to, uhm, Activate :D

Steve

There is a physical product version of the Upgrade if you want it. Available for sale already, so I kinda thought that would be a hint :D It comes with the new "game engine" printed manual we started using with Italian Front. So it's not just a disk, which would be silly since (as others have pointed out) one can burn a disk of any Battlefront product install at any time they want. Or put it on another hard drive or a flash drive. Activations only kick in when you try to, uhm, Activate :D

Steve

can we get official explanation about the price tag of V2.0 + market garden bundle?

Regards

Yup. As said a few times recently, and back when we made the announcement of the Upgrade strategy....

We will offer a Market Garden + Upgrade Bundle for $5 less than it would cost to buy both separately. Effectively 50% off the Upgrade price.

What will the price of Arnhem be? I expect it will be the same as Commonwealth. At least presently we don't have any plans, or see the need to, raise the price any.

Additionally, we will continue to sell v1.xx until we have Upgrade v3.0 available (roughly 12 months). This allows people a less expensive (though more limited) way into Combat Mission, upgradeable at any time. Limited technical support/patching is available for customers until Upgrade v3.0 is released. At that time v1.xx will be officially discontinued and v2.xx will take its place. Meaning we will always support the current version and one version older, but not anything older than that. Upgrade v2.xx will still be available for v1.xx customers until v2.xx is itself discontinued.

That's it in a nutshell :D It's a pretty standard model used by never-dying software products, and it's one that seems to work for everybody pretty well.

Steve

Additionally, we will continue to sell v1.xx until we have Upgrade v3.0 available (roughly 12 months). Steve

12 Months!! If there's going to be an upgrade for CMBN in 12 Months, that tells me that there will at least be a major release this year highlighting the 3.0 engine. I'm guessing CMEF possibly sometime around midyear 2013?

So MG module out probably Q1 of 13, hopefully CMEF in Q2 followed up by maybe another upgrade to CMFI v3.0 and module for CMFI in Q3 and an upgrade to CMBN to 3.0 in Q4.

If my prophesy is correct, it looks like we will have new CM toys to play with about every 3 months :D. Why don't I just give you my wallet now, it will be much easier that way .... ;)