Mods under v2.0

My soldier uniforms no longer look like the mods I have installed in my z folder, so I assume that v2.0 is ignoring those mods. I assume this is an effect of the new way of doing uniforms mentioned in the readme.

Do we have any confirmation of which which types of mods will and won't be likely to work under v2.0?

Uniforms have been entirely reworked, redone and *renamed* to allow for future expansion. A completely different naming convention similar to the one used by CMFI. Also the gear has been broken out into individual components so the old art is obsolete. Uniforms are the big change. I can't recall other art being renamed, though its a big game and something may have slipped by me.

It is a price I'll gladly pay for all the goodies 2.0 is giving us. I'm sure it won't take long before the community 'strikes back'. It is years ago someone adviced me to take a look at CMBO if I was into wargames. Boy, am I glad I followed that advice.

Same here Aragorn2002. I still remember that day I downloaded the demo for the original CMx1. I was in utter and complete awe. I still am. You modders with your artistic talent may have to do some work to upgrade your mods but I feel as you mention, it really will be worth it in the long run with what BF has done with the engine and the choices we now have. Now let us go to battle. :)

Oh, one thing about building mods. BFC could have included normal map shading files to the independent building facades (the game supports it) but it was too little benefit and likely to mess up the beautiful 3rd party indi building mods out there. So 3rd party independent building mods are safe in v2.0 - not just safe, they can be made even prettier by adding your own normal maps shading to them!

The modular building facades were given v2.0 normal map shading so some care needs to be taken modding them.

Oh, one thing about building mods. BFC could have included normal map shading files to the independent building facades (the game supports it) but it was too little benefit and likely to mess up the beautiful 3rd party indi building mods out there. So 3rd party independent building mods are safe in v2.0 - not just safe, they can be made even prettier by adding your own normal maps shading to them!

The modular building facades were given v2.0 normal map shading so some care needs to be taken modding them.

Thats good thinking - Tanks a Lot buildings are truly a work of art that enhance the game no end.

Many uniform graphic files have different names in 2.0- so you could rez-explode the .brz file that contains the 2.0 upgrade to see what the new names are. Then you simply rename the old mod file to the name of the one being swapped out. The 2.0 ones are new and older textures, so dig around for the matching texture to be overwritten in the exploded "Uniforms" folder.

A note on the older textures and the new normal maps- If the specifics like pocket placements and such don't line up, I would take out the normal map, as it will look somewhat crazy when lit. There could also be a normal map that works in the folder, particularly if it wasn't done from scratch (ie. another uniform matches it basically). Or do a new normal map for it.

I have done normal maps for a few of the mods I have been working on, as well as some of my retooled favorites by others. I do some normal maps by scratch, and others with a great program called "Crazy Bump". It automates the process, and allows for some serious control. The main issue is with camo schemes- it wants the dark areas to read as deeper areas. It can be tweaked with a little work, but it requires patience.

2.0 is worth it for the bump mapping alone from my perspective. It can be subtle, but when your eye adjusts to the new change and the file is well done, things pop out in a new way and have dimension as they never previously did.

Also- no one seems to have noticed the new SS smock models in 2.0.

So- 2 new issues for texture modders in 2.0-

1. Some file structures are different due to renaming

2. Bump mapping. This means nothing if there isn't one in place, or the mod adheres to the original texture (Aris mods all seem fine thus far). However, normal maps can be added to textures that don't have them. Let the fun begin!

We don't normal map terrain, so adding normal maps to terrain textures won't do anything.

Haven't you considered it? It would a great addition to have a more 3D effect on terrain, as it seems to happen on other games nowadays,...Not that I dislike the terrain anyway,...it's a great work for sure,..