Track Damage when CRUSHING .... orchards??

I just found one of my Shermans immobilized with a red "X" for tracks and a 2nd one just BARELY hanging in there after each one tromped through about 4 or 5 rows of ..... grapes.

I think team BF might need to look into the amount of track damage orchard rows are causing to vehicle treads.

Right now, it looks like they cause the same ... maybe more ... damage than a stone wall.

I think a "tweak" is needed here for the next patch. It's not a game-crushing issue. But it's a little annoying.

Thanks!

I know there are many different types of vineyards .... and those "old vines" that LongLeftFlank posted above look like something out of a JRR Tolken book! .... Are you sure those in the picture don't talk and move around when provoked? :)

I still think the damage is set too high .... Do some tests. Take 10 Shermans and drive them into some rows of vineyards. ..... I bet the majority don't make it past the 7th row. .... In the end, these are vineyards ... not tank traps.

And I don't buy it regarding the wires. Tanks were frequently used to open paths through barbed wire. I can see how the possibility is there of wires eventually/occasionally tripping up a tank ... but not consistently after only about 20-30 meters into a vineyard.

I think this is an area that could use a "tweak".

And I don't buy it regarding the wires. Tanks were frequently used to open paths through barbed wire. I can see how the possibility is there of wires eventually/occasionally tripping up a tank ... but not consistently after only about 20-30 meters into a vineyard.

I think this is an area that could use a "tweak".

That's 15-20 tough pieces of wire with associated stakes, combined with stumps of some of the toughest wood in europe. Do you think BFC just stuck a finger in the air and guessed at the impact of the local farming practices on the mobililty of tanks?

A quick Google produces this as the first relevant entry I could find:

http://www.desertrats.org.uk/bde/4thAB1943.htm Ctrl-F for "wire" a couple of times.

"There were a number of vineyards with concrete poles and low wires such as get entangled in bogie wheels. It was necessary to turn left on a steep gradient and proceed along the edge of the ridge, to the start point. Lt Col J Sleeman (CO of 50th RTR) was informed by OC 'B' Squadron, that the chance of success was only about 30%."

But they tried it anyway...

"...on the move by 0400...Sgt. Mutton, with wire cutters, clipped a way through the vineyards. This was a most exhausting process and by 0500 only five tanks had reached the high ground, and these were still hampered by wire."

So the stakidj is (at least sometimes) concrete, not wood. Not something you want to get wound into your running gear. Note that this is just an approach to a jump-off point, hence the ability to wire cut their way through the vineyard. Perhaps for complete verisimilitude, Engineers should be able to "Clear wire", but really, like proper mine clearance, that does seem to be outside the scope of the game.

In CA we have a lot of vineyards just a couple hours from where I live, around Napa, and those vineyards look even harder to drive through than the one in pic provided. The vine are generally not quite as old and gnarly as those but they are often close and around here we put a **** ton of heavy duty wire up in them, which was missing in those pics. The rally car did seems to go through the vineyard pretty well but it should be remembered that that is a turbo charged 4wheel drive modern race car and besides the 4 modern offroad wheels and sleek design have a lot less stuff for the wire to tangle on. and it has way more horsepower and obviously humungous higher HP/ton. My reckoning from walking through the vineyards is you'd rather not try to drive a modern tank through one and you wouldn't want to try it with a ww2 tank.

• 2 weeks later...
The photos above show why infantry in the game doesn't like moving cross-wise through vineyards either. You can force them to do it with closely spaced waypoints but you may find yourself getting fragged in your tent that night by a disgruntled G.I. over it.

Probably they will need to crawl. Typically the wires start at something like 60 to 90 cms above ground. They are used to give the vines a hold to grow to the side.

The TITLE states "orchards" but all the descriptions are of vineyards. If someone seems to be suffering a high rate of immobilizations in an _orchard_ zone, let us know.

Thanks.

That was "my bad". I realized my error after I submitted it. Unfortunately, titles cannot be edited. ... it should have read "vineyards" ... not "orchards".

But after reading these posts and also doing some more research on the internet ... I have to agree that vineyards are No-Go zones for tanks.

.... but I also found out the hard way. I'm just glad it was vs. AI and not H2H!!!

The boy probably never learned the difference between a vineyard and an orchard. The state of today's schools, it's enough to drive one to despair...

Michael

:eek:

Now now ... let's not get nasty! (although I agree with you that the state of education and the will of youth to learn is not what is was back in the Greatest Generation) ... an off topic from this original post for sure!

It was a simple error that made me go "DOUGH!!!" when I saw it. I tried to rectify it in a later post since you can't make changes to the title once it is submitted.

My mistake!!! Sorry!!!! .... But I do know enough that you can't make a good Merlot from pressing peaches in an orchard! :D