AS.42 3d Bug

LukeFF

• 6 months later...
Anyone else sees this little blue line allways at the background? It's the worth to report?

Sorry for using this post.Regards

bugfondo.jpg

I brought this up about a year and a half ago and we were told that it is a minor but almost incurable glitch in the graphics presentation of the background. Ignore it.

Michael

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The real problem with the AS.42 scout car is that its main weapons can't rotate on a fully 360° basis.

This is a rather big *bug*, as indeed, the car depicted in the game is an altogether different animal compared to its real life counterpart, which was quite an effective scout car.

Its main 20mm auto-cannon was able to traverse to a full 360° circle and was able to also engage incoming aircraft.

In the game, the main guns (be them 20mm, 47mm or MMG) can only fire towards the forward part of the vehicle, which is quite wrong.

Please , Battlefront, fix this!

:(

p.s. Oh well, I forgot I also wrote about this months ago...

Here it is, my previous post

In fact, as with the US H/T with their MGs on either end, there is the same problem with the 2x Breda 37 on either end of the AS42.

The frontal pointing gun in fact fires only straight ahead, and the back facing one only fires on that direction.

These 2xMG could maybe remain like this and not move around too much for the reason stated above.

For a fast comparison: with the American M3 GMC it is basically right to have the vehicle turn itself toward the target to fire, as the main gun could not rotate indipendently all around the 360° arc, but just in the frontal arc of the vehicle.

In the AS-42s instead, the main weapons were installed in the middle of the vehicle in a pivot mount in order to give them a 360° arc of fire, to be able to fire in any direction and against enemy aircraft. (which was a useful solution in the desert warfare)

This was maybe the biggest advantage of this vehicle.

It could be considered like an armoured car without the armor around it. (and in fact it was, as the AS42 was directly based on the AB40-41 series, without its armour)

In the game, the main gun acts like it is fixed and it then can be fired only ahead.

I tried to make a small test to compare it with a (somewhat) similiar vehicle, the german Sdfkz 7 with the 37mm flak36 or the famous flakvierling 38.

The weapons in these vehicles can fire all around an 300° (or so) arc of fire, and it is possible in fact to just point the vehicle in one direction and make the weapon fire in the rear, or in the side, as it was in real life.

Maybe we could simulate the same for the AS42?

I tried to set up a small scenario with both vehicles (the italian and the german ones) and it really is a pain to see and wait for the AS42 to rotate all the vehicle to point its main weapon towards the rear.

It really takes a long time and it is somewhat irrealistic.

With the german vehicles it is different.

Some pictures

Here the german gins fire directly on their 6 o'clock, while the vehicles are facing on the other direction.

15mn.jpg

Here, the only possible solution for the AS 42. They have to turn themselves to fire their main weapons

jqrk.jpg

I found some other pictures to show the layout and how these vehicles were built and used. (sorry if some of them are taken from model kits... not many pictures around about the AS42s and no surviving examples left unfortunately)

AS42Sahariana-07.jpg

I made another small test, to see if in fact the main weapon of the AS-42 is somehow "fixed" and can't rotate.

If I issue the "cover arc" order to one of the vehicles, and I make it face on the opposite direction, the main gun (in this case, the 20mm Breda) doesn't rotate towards the back of the vehicle, but it gets "stucked" pointing toward the front of the vehicle.

ifgs.jpg