Aris Vehicle Thread...

Just out of curiosity, I understand that the layers of dust and mud are of the dried sort and look most convincing in missions with no rain, fog and not too damp ground conditions. How much different would vehicles look in rainy/damp weather and muddy ground conditions? I tinkered some with Aris mods to achieve such effects by darkening textures mid tones and shadows, while raising color saturation slight a bit, which I think is basically the way to go achieving wet looks. Opinions?

With the coming of the Bulge game and historic NWE bad weather during this time period, particularly october-november 1944 with above average mud and rain, I think this will become much of concern for the games general looks, incl. vehicles, terrain and objects. I do not expect BFC to release more than 2 different (terrain) texture sets (autumn and snowy winter), not considering particular weather and ground conditions for set missions. Also december/january with no snow would have different looks than autumn landscapes.

The problem I see, regarding weathering in the Bulge game, will be how to add convincing three dimensional mud and snow layers. Dust and grime look great but mud and snow may look awful in beautifully rendered 3D vehicles...

I´m already fairly satisfied with my results tweaking colors and overall lighting/contrast of various textures to make vehicles more look operating in wet environmental conditions. Maybe there´s some extra potential in creating normal maps for thick layers of wet mud and snow, although I understand this to be quite a laborious process from my current experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the [muddy] tag for vehicle track BMP´s introduced in V2.10 (?) a hardcoded one? Does it work for all vehicles if any such BMP´s would be added to those not having it yet? Would the tag also work for hull BMP´s and such?

Edit: with "muddy" looks, I mean wet mud, dirt and such, not dried one.

Edited by RockinHarry

I´m already fairly satisfied with my results tweaking colors and overall lighting/contrast of various textures to make vehicles more look operating in wet environmental conditions. Maybe there´s some extra potential in creating normal maps for thick layers of wet mud and snow, although I understand this to be quite a laborious process from my current experience.

I dont see how this could be achieved by normal maps alone. A layer of snow will add a layer that could be several centimeters thick - on top of the actual vehicle. In my view, no fiddling with normal maps will be able to make a realistic representation of that.

I dont see how this could be achieved by normal maps alone. A layer of snow will add a layer that could be several centimeters thick - on top of the actual vehicle. In my view, no fiddling with normal maps will be able to make a realistic representation of that.

Yep. Normal maps can only work out small details and only when looked at from very close distance. For thicker layers, there definitely would be a need for added 3D geometry to vehicles. However, I figured that adding "_normal map" and [muddy] tag works in CMBN. In example making a normal map for the Krupp Protze muddy wheels (protze-wheel_normal map [muddy].bmp) is recognized and works in the game. So [muddy] and _normal map [muddy] work together, when added to any vehicles that don´t have them yet.

Yep. Normal maps can only work out small details and only when looked at from very close distance. For thicker layers, there definitely would be a need for added 3D geometry to vehicles. However, I figured that adding "_normal map" and [muddy] tag works in CMBN. In example making a normal map for the Krupp Protze muddy wheels (protze-wheel_normal map [muddy].bmp) is recognized and works in the game. So [muddy] and _normal map [muddy] work together, when added to any vehicles that don´t have them yet.

@RockinHarry Good discovery! Besides Aris great work there are limits with textures and modding. Especialy for snow and fog at -25ºC. I think You will like this: http://www.adriancourreges.com/blog/2015/11/02/gta-v-graphics-study/

First Bulge teasers graphicaly doesn't look proomising but who knows maybe BF will miss one Tiger version and mod it to :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBeXRvdlmyY

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Aris! Love all your stuff. I just got RT and FI/GL and am enjoying everything that you've added to them. I do wish that there was a 'simple' way of downloading an 'aris-expansion' which adds all the vechs and effects and enhancements that you've done! It is difficult to find everything on the website (albiet a great resource!).

Hi Aris! Love all your stuff. I just got RT and FI/GL and am enjoying everything that you've added to them. I do wish that there was a 'simple' way of downloading an 'aris-expansion' which adds all the vechs and effects and enhancements that you've done! It is difficult to find everything on the website (albiet a great resource!).

Try this link for them all I think: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/105060-aris-vehicle-thread/?do=findComment&comment=1450355

Also, did you need my downloaded CMFI Campaigns as well?  Since you didn't say in that other thread.  I could upload those for you as well to my dropbox?